Brass photo-etched parts and CA glue

I've been adding the odd brass photo-etched part to my models and one thing I've found is that the cyanoacrylate glue doesn't bond to the bare metal very well. If it's just a brass part that fits flush, then everything's OK, but if it's a situation where stuff has to stick together to form a larger part, I find that any stress on the completed part will make it fall apart.

I've been using fairly typical CA (thick gap filling) glue. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

I've been adding the odd brass photo-etched part to my models and one thing I've found is that the cyanoacrylate glue doesn't bond to the bare metal very well. If it's just a brass part that fits flush, then everything's OK, but if it's a situation where stuff has to stick together to form a larger part, I find that any stress on the completed part will make it fall apart.

I've been using fairly typical CA (thick gap filling) glue. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

Usually it helps to sand the parts with wet/dry paper prior to putting them together to improve adhesion. I usually do this and don't have issues with CA adhering to the bare metal.

The parts I tried to put together are in the pic below of the Lion Roar 1/32 F/A-18 set. The nozzles need to be strong when assembled in order to fit into the body properly. Each blade is seperate, so it's difficult to get it to look right without using too much glue. After a bunch of attempts, I gave up and I'm using the plastic kit parts now.

LionRoarF-18.jpg

Use the "rubber infused" super glue. It has shear as well as tensile strength and is mutch better for attaching photoetch. The stuff at my hobby shop use to be black, but now it is clear just like the other superglues.

Edited by dknights

and dont forget, just like a new kit you need to wash a new p/e set. they can have residue from the etching chemicals left on them which will cause paint and glue to not bond properly.

after you have washed them, dont worry if and brownish stains apear. these are just residues from chemicals in the water (floride/chlorine....etc) they will not effect the painting/gluing process.

..obviously it depends on what the water in your area is like and when they last time the chemicals were topped up in the water systems.

Richard

and dont forget, just like a new kit you need to wash a new p/e set. they can have residue from the etching chemicals left on them which will cause paint and glue to not bond properly.

I'm not sure that's not a double-edged sword? Have a look at the enclosed pic of some etch:

290308002.jpg

It's definitely corroding from atmospheric or handling moisture (high copper ratio in the brass contributing?) I'd personally be worried that by dipping in water it would accelerate this rust and - as a man in a dive shop once rather scarily did to a mask I'd just paid for - maybe think about waving a flame near the stuff to burn off the grease (etc) instead?

Also wondering about dipping this particular etch in Coke to clear the oxidation, which I've heard works on 'brown' coins - but only after trying a non-used corner first :)

iv never had a problem with washing p/e in water or it rusting. i may be lucky!

the flame cound work i supose, but if your going to anniel it anyway...

Also wondering about dipping this particular etch in Coke to clear the oxidation, which I've heard works on 'brown' coins - but only after trying a non-used corner first

could work indeed. i got a silver necklace for my 18th birthday from my parents. every once in a while i leave it in a bottle/glass of coke over night. still looks brand new!!!

Richard

Dude, copper doesn't rust-

Pete

Ah, sir, you know what I mean :thumbsup: Goes green and manky....oxidises?

As for annealing it first, maybe that's why I have a more hate than love relationship with etch... I use Slow-Zap though to stick it down, and that bit of the process is usually painless.