Italian Airforce ECR Tornado build

Thanks, guys!! Long time again between updates. I have managed to paint and gloss coat all parts and subassemblis, now it`s decal time. Theres a lot of stencilling to apply to this build. I`m using Tauro decals and so far they seem to be good. I just had to do the tail markings just to see how they look. The decals are going to take a while, i should have them done by next weekend.

IMG_2921a.jpg

Nice and shiney, ready for the stickers.

IMG_2925a.jpg

Squadron markings.

Don

Owwww Don!

really nice your tornado!Mi piace tantissimo!

I know what tauro stencils are...a sheet plenty of lil tiny things (for 104 there are almost 200 or more)!try to have patience LOL

BUt so far you're makin a great job!

I love it

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Hello Jack!! There are lots of of stencils on this thing, i spent yesterday and today applying decals to this. I have to confess the really small ones didn`t make it on to the build. I could barely see them on the sheet and when applied, they stuck to the brush, my finger or god knows where. I`ll take a break not to let my eyes refocus and will clear coat tomorrow in prep for weathering..

Don

IMG_2927a.jpg

Yeeep I can imagine was really tough and i personally understand you're pain and fatigue!

shame for those decals but you are right...it is a reaaaal pain and forget those lil bastards LOL

Cheers and keep it up

it is comin along a real beauty!!!

;)

Owwwwwww....that's turning out fantastic!!!

simply fantastic really!!!

it will make its scene on wheels!a very beast very very very well executed!!!

It is really a beauty!!!

GREAAT WORKKKK

Cheers

:)

Another update today. Richard, the wash i use is a mix of water, Model Maste Acryl Raw Umber and liquid dish washing soap. I have everything dullcoated and ready to assemble now, but found one problem. The nose gear on any Tornado pic i`ve seen is of two types with one or two extending sections. All pics show this A/C should have one extending section. I have also read that the kit when assembled has a definite nose up attitude. I think if i cut out the one section it should level out or hopefully have a nose down stance which is right for the Tonka. Only thing is the gear leg is painted and finished, don`t know if i want to shorten it. Darn!!

IMG_2954a.jpg

This pic shows the offending section i should cut out.

Also painted and did some weathering to the burner cans. Final weathering will be done with MiG Pigments.

IMG_2964a.jpg

I don`t know if i will do much more today, Sun is out, it`s warm and the barbeque is calling.

Don

Okay, couldn`t leave the nose gear alone, so i cut the gear apart, opened up the hollow core to 1/8" and used a piece of aluminum tubing to reinforce the gear. Took about 15 minutes to do but should help with the stance .

IMG_2987a.jpg

IMG_2988a.jpg

Just have to touch up one area then it`s good to go.

Don

I think that's fantastic,really great!!!

I love your progress!

can i make you a suggest though?!

It's a thing I tried on my last plane and made the real difference...I should have used that before and I think that on a modern jet look even better!try if you want!

You basically have to cut a piece of the right width of kitchen alu foil and apply to the legs!!!it will look stunning!

see here (even if they werent weathered already but makes the point)

DSCN2101.jpg

It is just a suggestion and I tell you just because i think in 32nd scale that would be awesome and very realistic!I told you this cause i never tried and when I did I was astonished by the result!!!

Cheers and again FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!

:)

Edited by Jack-Swiss

Thats a good idea, Jack-Man. The oleo does look dull, i think i will get foil and try it. I did do this before a long time ago but i used the foil wrapping from a candy bar as it was much thinner and shinier. Good excuse to go out and get a treat. Thanks, Jack!!

Don

Yeaaah exactly,that would be better...thinner!!!!

Great,so if you've done already I think you need to add that touch to your fantastic AWESOME build!!!!

C'mon,stick it 'nto it!!!!!!!

Cheers and fantastic job again,i wont get tired of saying this!

:touche:

Well, went to the store to get a candy bar, they don`t wrap them in foil anymore. I guess i`ll use tinfoil. Doing some assembly now, when installing the Harms, i drilled them and the pylons and put Evergreen rod stock into the pylon holes to positively mount the missles. I think i`ll do this for the drop tanks too.

IMG_3004a.jpg

IMG_3001a.jpg

IMG_3000a.jpg

Back to work tomorrow, probably won`t get much done til next weekend

Don

Nice weathering! ;)

AFAIK, Revell's 1/72 Tonkas also suffer from the same nose-up attitude.

Even after shortening the nose gear i`m almost certain it will still be too high. I should have shortened the lower part even more. Darn!! Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, guys. Slowly chipping away at this and hoping to be done by Friday. Teaser pic below, doing the fiddly stuff now.

Don

IMG_3005a.jpg

Woooow!!!!!

all i can say is wooow...

comin along superbly!that's the phase where you get pumped up for attaching the last pieces and I would be even more pumped up with that beauty!!!!!

That's really fantastic

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Hello all!! I managed to finish my Tornado build. I`m pleased with the way it turned out and it is definitly different from the F-4`s and F-15`s in my display case. I`ve wanted to build a Tonka for a while in Italian markings for a unique build not often done. I`d also like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions, the build ideas helped a lot.

IMG_3109a.jpg

IMG_3134a.jpg

IMG_3114a.jpg

IMG_3142a.jpg

IMG_3147a.jpg

IMG_3151a.jpg

IMG_3158a.jpg

IMG_3159a.jpg

I have one problem, the build barely fits in my display case, i have to display it tailpipes out and have to close the door gently as it grazes the wingtip.

Don

Ahhhhh....STUPENDO --> wonderful (to fit the "italian" theme you brought us)

that's really a piece of art,a masterpiece!

really imagine that it cant stand in the display case,must be a monster...would be nice if you can make a pic of it near smth familiar to see the size's difference!!!LOL

anyway,how did it went with the foil on the gear struts?you did it?or maintain as they were?

make a pic of them too...wanna see the result LOL

Awesome build again,that is/was a fantastic thread which i enjoyed reeaaaally much!!!

Cheers

:blink: