USAF support vehicles

Well, we've got plenty of posts about the aircraft themselves, and we now have posts about the crew...so how about some posts of the other typical stuff you see on the ramp, but which is NEVER photographed?

Pickups, step vans, follow-me wagons, crash tenders, lighting, electrical and air carts, the list is endless!

And extra kudos for anyone who can post pics of the Z-28s and GTOs used as chase cars for the TR-1's!!

Ah!, a new photo project! I'll take some pics! Here's one to start. Taken at St. John's Newfoundland back in January. Do you know what the piece of AGE equipment in the foreground is?

Mark

100_4492.jpg

Do you know what the piece of AGE equipment in the foreground is?

I don't know, but I'll take a wild guess. Is it for draining lavs?

That pic of the -135 on jacks is pretty neat, I've never one like that before.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
I don't know, but I'll take a wild guess. Is it for draining lavs?

Yep! Not required on a C-130! It might work on the KC-135s with the latrine mod but we had a USAF piece of equipment for that. This is a civilian version.

Another pic of that 135 on stands. That's the controller for the jacks in the background but I can't remember the designation.

010_7_0001.jpg

Well, we've got plenty of posts about the aircraft themselves, and we now have posts about the crew...so how about some posts of the other typical stuff you see on the ramp, but which is NEVER photographed?

Pickups, step vans, follow-me wagons, crash tenders, lighting, electrical and air carts, the list is endless!

And extra kudos for anyone who can post pics of the Z-28s and GTOs used as chase cars for the TR-1's!!

Excellent idea!

A CF-55 tug on display at Pima. Just in case you want to move some big stuff!

CF-55-AFAircraftTugPimaFeb051.jpg

CF-55-AFAircraftTugPimaFeb052.jpg

A Euclid MB-2 at Biggs AFB.

MB-2AircraftTug1950s.jpg

scan0290.jpg

scan0292.jpg

scan0271.jpg

scan0266.jpg

scan0234.jpg

scan0229.jpg

scan0230.jpg

scan0106.jpg

scan0252.jpg

scan0286.jpg

These pictures my be from the 70s but at any given time you might see these vehicles and ground equipment on the flightline.

If you saw the M-113 out there, the thing to do was....run.

MJ-5 (?) Hydraulic "Mule"

011_8_0001.jpg

Aloha Mark,

Man, that hangar looks familiar! When was that? And that piece of mystery AGE... I'm pretty sure it's a Lav service cart as mentioned. We have something similar (rarely used) and I'm certain I've seen our chiefs us like equipment during recoveries at civi FBO's.

Ahui hou :cheers:

Mark

Edited by Buck

Howz about a few fire trucks.

This is a CCKW-353 based fire truck from the WWII era. A great deal of AAF equipment went to the USAF, so I guess it counts for USAF support vehicles.

CCKW353FiretruckPimaMar20062.jpg

CCKWFireTruck.jpg

O-11 Crash truck.

O-11CrashTruckPima1.jpg

O-11A Crash truck.

O-11AFiretruckWarEagles1.jpg

Excellent stuff guys!

How about some of the stuff that's out there right now? Pickups/SUVs etc are not glamorous but absolutely essential!

These are Army Hum-vees, but the USAF ones are pretty much the same, sometimes even the same paint scheme.

M1025 HMMWV

M1025HMMVV.jpg

M1043

M1043HMMWV.jpg

P-15 Crash truck, somewhat older.

P-15FireTruckMarchARBMar071.jpg

A P-23 truck.

P-23FireTruckDyessAFBMay2006.jpg

More modern stuff.

P-19 Crash truck.

P-19ARFFFireTruckCannonSep05.jpg

The Oshkosk T-1500 Striker. It also has a P-19 designation and will be replacing the P-23 trucks.

P-19StrikerHollomanOct071.jpg

P-19StrikerHollomanOct072.jpg

Seen on airfields from 1941 until probably in the 1960s, the G-503 1/4 ton truck. Willys MB, Ford GPW Jeep.

WillysMBJeep1945Manufacture2.jpg

WillysMBJeep1945Manufacture3.jpg

OMG not the Chevy Luv truck! I remember banging around the Indiana country side driving one of those while out inspecting household goods shipments. Even hauling some nice student bodies :thumbsup: around campus and to the clubs while TDY to Purdue University. It was amazing how many people you could haul in one of those...and parking was never a problem for a USAF vehicle.

Other familiar vehicles found on the flight line were Chevy Citations, Chevette and Chrysler K cars. These were part of a energy reduction program...and to bail out a bankrupt company.

Lets not forget about the blue gooses...though this one has been highly modified.

ACTBUS.jpg