USAF support vehicles

That's an interesting question... Not really aware of much at all which is a real pity - obviously there are kits of the CUCV (M1008), Blazer (M1009), HMMWV, V100, M20 and M-113, but I guess that's about it? (I am speaking in 1/72nd scale here!)

An MD-3B GPU, pretty common at one time. This one was I think yellow originally. Now after a bunch of years in the Arizona sun it has faded to a color that only a woman could know the name of. And then it would probably be some food name.

MD-3BGroundPowerUnitPimaApr082.jpg

MD-3BGroundPowerUnitPimaApr084.jpg

An American-Coleman tug at Pima. It still works for a living. Sometimes.

ColemanTugPimaApr082.jpg

Edited by jinxx1

That's an interesting question... Not really aware of much at all which is a real pity - obviously there are kits of the CUCV (M1008), Blazer (M1009), HMMWV, V100, M20 and M-113, but I guess that's about it? (I am speaking in 1/72nd scale here!)

The Air Force did not operate the V-100 series Commando Car but the XM-706 series. The V-100 was an Army vehicle.

Mark - thanks very much! Now, can you explain what they're all used for? ;)

Dude, I tried to bite my tongue this weekend but I can't resist. The fork-lifts lift things, put them in the trucks and the trucks move them from point-A to point-B!

I guess you're asking why do we have them. Well, what I just said I guess. The panel vans are used by the expeditors to haul maintainers and their tools around the flight line. The production superintendents mostly drive the pickups but if anyone needs a truck to pick up supplies or whatever, that's what they're there for. The stake-beds are used for big cargo. Shoot, when I was at Grand Forks our QA shop even had a minivan they drove around on the flight line! I never figured that one out. They had their vulture decal on the side and everything! Damn QA!!

Seriously though, I'm not trying to be a smart-alec here I just thought it was funny how you asked. I am always on the lookout for some photos and am happy to get whatever I can for you. I mean that.

What do you need next?

Mark

Edited by Mark O. Williams

I'm sure I asked for that one!!!

Seriously, it's great to see this stuff! It sounds silly, but I've NEVER seen photographs of the boring stuff that gets taken for granted! Our SIG is trying to make sure our displays look more like dioramas than just static lineups, and this stuff really helps!

Sorry for being a bit slow following this up but here's some of the stuff we have in the SIG....

010-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

004.jpg

We are always looking to increase the range of stuff we have but there's not a lot out there model wise. We have some diecast Fire trucks and pickups which we are looking to verify for scale and usage but otherwise the only plastic stuff on the go is the Academy M35 and Trumpeter Stryker.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics and especially Mark who wins a free ride in a C-130 for this quote ! :thumbsup:

"Dude, I tried to bite my tongue this weekend but I can't resist. The fork-lifts lift things, put them in the trucks and the trucks move them from point-A to point-B!"

Cheers,

Haydn.

A few bad cell phone photos I took today. The Production Superintendant is in the pickup, the crew chief expediter is in the box van and the life supoport bubbas are in the passenger van.

Mark

IMG00026.jpg

IMG00027.jpg

Edited by F106A

A C-130 T-56 engine on a towable mount. I don't know the designation.

101_0135.jpg

And a picture of mostly my C-130 but if you notice there's a Wyoming ANG fire truck there. They responded to a crew member that had a hypoxia incident while we were on oxygen at 18,000 feet dropping SF troopers for some HALO training.

000_0009.jpg

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...