Hi,

In this thread I'm going to post updates on my entrie for this great groupbuild.

Also I'm going to post some RF-4E pictures here. From the one I've started for the TMOARC GB but is still in progress.

And since it is officially April the 1st here, I've done some experimenting with Gene Ks seamless intakes template. I dunno why but I used recycled paper for the test and actualy it turned out well. Instead of making a new one in white, I glued it in. but since the ducting on the aft went a little to much up, I'm going to glue a white aft piece over the front one. Got rid off the aft part of the recycled paper and now it is ready to receive the new one. But as it is past 3'o clock am, I'm heading for my bed now :cheers:

I also made a drawing of a template to experiment with a home made fan front, to fit behind an unused Revell engine front.

To end, some pictures of the intake:

intakeshotwithGeneKstemplatemodifie.jpg

intakeshotwithGeneKstemplatemodi-1.jpg

Somehow this recycled paper looks like fibreglass epoxy in these pictures :banana:

Greetings!

Hi,

Since I've used this picture (In my now dissappeared post :nanner: ) to show how it would look alike, I noticed that there's quite a lot of stencilling on that aircraft. My aircraft is a year later but I presume that stencilling would be like that anyway?

Is there any stencilling available for the F-4J?

And if not, Is there anyone who knows if Hobbydecal's sheet with the VF-84 phantoms has stencils for both the aircraft or only one?

Greetings

Edit: I forgot the link above and then I found out my post dissapeared. Searched the photo back, and then I noticed another picture of VMFA-232 and here it is march 1972. Seems that the stencilling is gone on this one. Is there any guideline regarding stencilling on phantoms?

Edited by Fiddler
Since I've used this picture

Outstanding picture. Notice the old style McD wing tanks. As opposed to the later Sgt Fletcher tank, that tank was separate from the pylon, and the pylon was wired for weapons. I'have some profiles of that tank, so if you decide to model the early bird (and the tank), let me know.

Gene K

It's cyano.

About being cheaper... I guess it's quite cheaper then the putty attempt I did on my Revell RF-4E, but the paper isn't strong enough offcourse and I put glue all over the intake and the nice thing about it is that the paper absorbes the glue and becomes a composite so to speak :rofl: So having made 5 test intakes now, I spent a 3g tube of glue on it. But offcourse it is still cheaper then the resin seamless intakes...

so here's how the intake looks like now:

intakeshotnearlyreadytoreceiveso-1.jpg

intakeshotnearlyreadytoreceivesomep.jpg

Notice the old style McD wing tanks. As opposed to the later Sgt Fletcher tank, that tank was separate from the pylon, and the pylon was wired for weapons. I'have some profiles of that tank, so if you decide to model the early bird (and the tank), let me know.

Gene K

Hi,

I'm thinking of building it with the later tanks but I am curious for it, maybe to use it for a future build of an F-4 earlier in the timeline. Is there any 'transition date' when they stopped using these Maccie D tanks?

By the way talking about the wing tanks, I've read that Hasegawa's are not good in shape. IIRC they were to skinny. Now, the scale drawing from the paint guide, shows that the drawings are 80% of 72nd scale and the tanks have another shape then the drawing. They indeed look more skinny. So could the drawing be right and the moulding wrong?

I was thinking of using that drawing as a template to construct better wingtanks if that's a good idea...

Greetings

Is there any 'transition date' when they stopped using these Maccie D tanks?

First a disclaimer - some folks say the Sgt Fletchers were the early tanks, and the McD the later - I was under the impression it was the other way around, so not sure at this point what is what except the early ones were distinguished by a more streamlined profile and had the tank "seams" on both sides at the three and nine o'clock position, whereas the later tanks have the single seam at the five o'clock position (head on view). By seam, I mean the prominent lengthwise one on the center section (as opposed to the other welds on the tank).

As for the transition period, I don't have any dates for a distinct changeover, but I have pictures of the tanks being on early Phantoms in Viet Nam (Marine and AF) around 1966 I would estimate. By 1968, I believe most AF tanks were the newer. As for the other services, it appears the Marines flew the tanks longer than the Navy (DUH), but don't have a time frame. If I had to guess, I'd say late sixties, early seventies. Hopefully someone has better data....

By the way talking about the wing tanks, I've read that Hasegawa's are not good in shape.

Talking 1/72: The Has tanks are somewhat slim, but not nearly as much as the Revell Germany impersonations. The best tanks, shape wise, are the Monogram. I'll shortly lay out those tanks for you, as well as the Fujimi, ESCI and the old Revell (the only representation of the early tanks) against some drawings/photos (hoping I don't inspire Rusty S to make any "silly line" comments).

If you can't find an old Monogram kit (which is a great source of detail items for the Has kit), I think the Hasegawa tanks are acceptable, but the Revell are not. As an aside, "Accurate Minnatures is releasing an F-4B/C & an F-4J with minor resin upgrades, and some interesting decal options" according to the AM web site. Of course the AM rebox will run more at around $18 than what you can get on eBay for around $7, but should definitely be worth it. Excellent kits (although panel lines not recessed).

Gene K

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Long time no update But here's one now.

The intakes are done exept for some touch ups and a coat of white paint. Didn't took that long to realize but just lacked some motivation :)

Got the photo etched parts in the cockpit, and that's ready to drop in the fuselage once glued together. I also glued the canopy rails on it but with some testfitting and me not thinking of these fragile parts being there, I practicaly ruined them. But going to try and rescue them anyway... Hope it's going to be well with that.

Wings are glued so only some little scratch building for the opened hatches between the main gear and that's ready to receive the fuselage.

Pictures follow in not to distant future ;)

Greetings

By the way Gene, what are you thinking of the Fujimi British Phantom wing tanks? just curious :taunt:

Edited by Fiddler

Hi,

I like that yous like pollie and speedlimit :thumbsup: thanks

I was thinking of spraying the intakes today but guess what, I'm out of white... very frustrating as there's no shop in the area which has humbrol or something. However, could go and grab a can of revell white but it somehow looks a little more yellow than other brands...

Thanks for the nice comments :worship:

great work in the tub, and those intakes look great! cant wait to see pics of them!!

Iv already ordered some seamless intakes, but if i had seen this first, i think i would have given your technique a shot first!!

Richard

I'll have to wait untill my order of paint arrives from england, so untill then I'm out of work with the intakes. I'm going to try and develope some minor interior works for the opened doors between the main gear, and also some PE work on the gear bays.

I did do some phantom work though and no it ain't for the RF-4 which is quite on the backburner now...

I had a Fujimi Phantom FGR.2 in the stash and with the 50th birthday I got carried away in the phantomania and bought me a Hasegawa F-4G, a Fujimi F-4M and a FG.1 again from Fujimi. So that thinking I'm going to do the FGR.2 out of the box with minor scratchbuilding to get a look alike british cockpit, some modifications for the gear compartments and a grey-green paintjob as XV490 from 92 Sqn, Airdoc decals. I also want to do some paper intakes and therefor I grabbed myself behind the computer and developed a template for the fujimi kit. Taken from Gene K's original Hase phantom intake, I started with modifying the way to glue the aft of the intake and arranged a way that it fits the engine faces without testfitting or the risk of glueing these allready to the intake and making it a waste of time. I also made a piece that has to be glued in the intake for getting a solid structure where there's a gap for the wing part to fit in. And the last thing I modified was the front part of the paper so that it conformes better with the curves of the intake.

So after a few adjustments, because of 2 prototypes didn't fit immediatly, I came to the design which is now ready to be fitted in the FGR intake. here's how it looks in a screenshot from autocad:

screenshotaftertheintakedesignnr3is.jpg

I printed one and cut out the support piece. testfit was quite ok, untill I glued it in and it was slightly to big, but that was carefully cut off:

intakewiththesupportpiecegluedin.jpg

meanwhile I folded the intake template around a round marker of a smaller diameter then the intake will eventually be. I put the printed side of the paper outside to avoid black stains coming through the paint afterwards. doing this will result in a curve into the template which would ease the construction of it. First I pulled the strip in the middle between the outer two, and then glued the bottom piece tight with some CA:

intakedesigngluedwiththebottomstrip.jpg

Then I continued with glueing the middle strip and the top strip afterwards. Then I put some CA over the whole duct exept for the forward part to be fitted in the intake:

intakedesigngluedtogetherandsoakedp.jpg

So that's it for now, further testfitting will be done in the next few days.

Greetings!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

long time no update here. Went on some trips and summerfestivals so the output level was rather low the last months.

I managed to spray the intakes but there were some imperfections left offcourse. these are going to be resprayed today and when they are ok I'll show them. afterwards I hope the assembly of the fuselage can go without any notable troubles :whistle:

Wings are also assembled...

So that's all right now, I hope I can drop by later with some neat pictures showing the intakes before and after assembly of the fuselage

Greetings

edit: I just sprayed the white and guess what, first my paint didn't work with me, and now I actually discovered a small gap which I forgot to fill and now I have to start over again... great :whistle: but within these days the intake job should be finally done...

Edited by Fiddler
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The intakes are resting with their final coat of white on them. I masked them but afterwards I was to lazy to clean out my spraygun so brushpainted the coroguard intake lips... :thumbsup: Some touch ups are needed but it looks very good in my view. I testfitted the intakes and it looks very promissing!

When the coroguard is touched up I'll post some pics but now I'm going to grab something to eat :woot.gif: