Huey pilot seat colors

Looking for info on what color the armored pilot seats would be on a Vietnam era Huey. Haven't seen many color pix, the ones that I have show the sliding side armor plate to be OD but I'm not sure what the rest of the seat is.

Any info is appreciated.

John

The armor that I have seen was all black and the seat covers varied from black to green. Others will be able to you out better than I, but that is what I have seen.

HTH

Jake

Jake,

I think that would apply to Huey's from the 80's on. The cockpit interior was repainted black so they could use NVG's.

John

For Vietnam era, the metal seat supports were medium gray. The cushions were red on early ones, and later were green fabric. The sliding armor plates were OD green with a black rubber edge strip around the perimeter.

Here are some pics.

UH-1B60-0553-1.jpg

UH-1b-0355411.jpg

UH-1b-035544.jpg

Hope that helps.

For Vietnam era, the metal seat supports were medium gray. The cushions were red on early ones, and later were green fabric. The sliding armor plates were OD green with a black rubber edge strip around the perimeter.

Here are some pics.

UH-1B60-0553-1.jpg

UH-1b-0355411.jpg

UH-1b-035544.jpg

Hope that helps.

Hi Gino,

Thanks very much those are very helpful. Any idea if the seat backs on armored seats would be grey or OD?

Thanks again,

John

Hey 11bee, thanks for that information. That would have really screwed up my vietnam era huey I have not yet built.

Nice pics Gino!

Jake

Jake,

Good luck on your Vietnam Huey. I've got the Dragon kit (along with a bunch of Cobra stuff) and although it is a decent starting point, the kit is ROUGH. I've sanded down all of the giant rivets and am just starting the interior. I already scratch built / modified the pilots seats and it seems like the more I look at the kit, the more things I am thinking about replacing / detailing. My concern is that I am going to get so anal about this that the thing will never be completed. That big interior is just screaming to be tricked out. Not sure what I am going to do about the gunners seats. The kit supports scale out to about the size of 3" water pipes!

I'm sure that if I kill myself going over every last detail, the day I finish in a few years will be the day that Tamiya releases a brand new state of the art one.

We'll see how it goes.....

Here are some shots of the seats in restored UH-1H flown by the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation. She's painted as a 229th bird. The seats are the armored variety and are period accurate. i am in the process of building the seats for a 1/72 Italeri B model and I have about 12 pieces to each seat. It's like building a mini model in itself. Anyway, hope these help.

Ray

PICT1899.jpg

crew seats, but copilot seat back is also visible:

PICT1898.jpg

PICT1857.jpg

PICT1840.jpg

PICT1839.jpg

PICT1844.jpg

Great shots Ray,

11bee, if you need any additional shots just let me know. There's a retired veteran in my area who has a 282nd Black Cat UH-1D in his warehouse. It's not restored and in it's original state from service. I was able to go by and visit him and take lots of pictures. I'm about to start a Dragon 1/35 model to replicate this Helo. He was gracious enough to also give me a copy of the Helo's history, it's amazing.

ccolina

Great shots Ray,

11bee, if you need any additional shots just let me know. There's a retired veteran in my area who has a 282nd Black Cat UH-1D in his warehouse. It's not restored and in it's original state from service. I was able to go by and visit him and take lots of pictures. I'm about to start a Dragon 1/35 model to replicate this Helo. He was gracious enough to also give me a copy of the Helo's history, it's amazing.

ccolina

CC... I would love to see any additional pix, especially interior shots and pictures of what is inside the bubbles and the overhead window panels.

Regards,

John