F-4F Phantom II 37+11 "Phly-out Hopsten AB" December 2005

Mask it. More challenge, dont you think? :salute:

Eric

Yeah i agree, i hav'nt got a decal for it anyway but it would always look best masked, i wish i had the skills to mask and paint the art on the underside though :beer4:

Whoa...finally some progress from the guy next door :cheers:

Looks great Eric...but if I may suggest, I think the lines of 'dark' gray that show through on the final light gray coat are a bit wide, I think you should tone them down so that each is only about, say 4-5 mm wide. That way it'd look more natural like the images of weathering on Luftwaffe F-4Fs.

Just a suggestion...:worship:

It's looking great :thumbsup:

-Anthony

Whoa...finally some progress from the guy next door :D

Looks great Eric...but if I may suggest, I think the lines of 'dark' gray that show through on the final light gray coat are a bit wide, I think you should tone them down so that each is only about, say 4-5 mm wide. That way it'd look more natural like the images of weathering on Luftwaffe F-4Fs.

Just a suggestion...:cheers:

It's looking great :worship:

-Anthony

Noted neighbor! :thumbsup: :)

Eric

After seriously considering Awan's observation I proceeded to blasting the thick pre-shading next to nothing. :D The preshading is almost unnoticeable now and after looking at pictures once again I opted for a later post shading at panel lines just like in the a/c. Thanks Anthony! :thumbsup:

Eric

Thank you all.

Now its time for some more progress report. I've managed to mask the port & starboard side of the horse.

This one took me an hour to cut the template I used and position carefully to the model. Sprayed with mixed tamiya acrylic flat and gloss black.

A little bit of overspray here and there but can easily be fixed later on.

Starboard Side

DSCN1795.jpg

DSCN1794.jpg

DSCN1793.jpg

Port Side:

DSCN1797.jpg

DSCN1798.jpg

DSCN1799.jpg

Thanks,

Eric

WOW Eric :D

Dang...that is definitely gonna look better than a huge decal :D

Anyway...following up on the preshading story, after you finish painting, you can go over an darken the panel lines a bit with a post-shade. Just set your airbrush for a hairline spray, and mix up a batch of thinned tamiya smoke. Then lightly spray that over all the lines or just certain ones. Then you could do some more dirtying up with pastels and make the lines look just like the picture in your banner :yahoo:

HTH and great work so far :banana:

-Anthony

WOW Eric :woot.gif:

Dang...that is definitely gonna look better than a huge decal :D

Anyway...following up on the preshading story, after you finish painting, you can go over an darken the panel lines a bit with a post-shade. Just set your airbrush for a hairline spray, and mix up a batch of thinned tamiya smoke. Then lightly spray that over all the lines or just certain ones. Then you could do some more dirtying up with pastels and make the lines look just like the picture in your banner ;)

HTH and great work so far :bandhead2:

-Anthony

Thanks Awan. I think I have a plan on how to dirty it up on the later stage of my build.

Eric

Woooow...that's reeeeeaally nice!

that must have been a hell of a job,cuttin out the template,LOL!

but the result is great,dont worry for the overspray,i know you'll be able to fix it!!!!!!

great mate,really great, i love it!!!!!

Cheers

:)

Thanks Robert, Awan, Mark, Jack-Swiss & Richard. Probably be fixing the overspray and painting the whole upper fuselage today. The hard part will be tackling the design pattern for the bottom fuselage part.

Eric

The panellines where weathered on the real thing right after the jet was painted by using an airbrush.

Just to make it look old and worn. Brown rusty color was used for it.

SCOUT

The panellines where weathered on the real thing right after the jet was painted by using an airbrush.

Just to make it look old and worn. Brown rusty color was used for it.

SCOUT

Forgot to mention, only the grey horse area !

SCOUT

There's yet another Phantom Phly-Out on thursday next week. At Neuburg this time, the F-4F will give up the QRA task to the Eurofighter.

There should be a Phantom painted up for the occasion, and I hope to photograph it said thursday!

There's yet another Phantom Phly-Out on thursday next week. At Neuburg this time, the F-4F will give up the QRA task to the Eurofighter.

There should be a Phantom painted up for the occasion, and I hope to photograph it said thursday!

Shoot it and I hope to model it. :salute:

Eric

Great work Eric!!!! i am still struggling with photoshop and how to make a mask for my model... Exceptional work though mate.. :)

with you all the way,

dan