Jolly Rogers helmets

HI guys,

I'm looking for some pictures of helmets worn by F-4J pilots and RIO's from around 1970.

The Phantom that I'm building is going to be displayed in flight, so the crew needs the correct helmets for the period.

Thanks and cheers :thumbsup:

-Chris

On a related note, is there any good website for helmet references? I have way too many pilots that simply have their helmets painted white, mainly due to lack of info on how they really were. Especially interested in F-14's (and pretty much all Navy planes) of the 70's/80's.

Chris, yes, it's very, very similar to the ones they used with their first F-4's which they took to Vietnam. I can't vouch for the chevron with the flag emblem on the sides, but the rest looks very, very close, although from what I can see there should be two black stripes in the yellow band going across the "forehead", not just one...unless they did something like one stripe for RIOs and two for pilots.

No idea personally if they kept that design when they got the J's.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
  • 6 months later...
Chris, yes, it's very, very similar to the ones they used with their first F-4's which they took to Vietnam. I can't vouch for the chevron with the flag emblem on the sides, but the rest looks very, very close, although from what I can see there should be two black stripes in the yellow band going across the "forehead", not just one...unless they did something like one stripe for RIOs and two for pilots.

No idea personally if they kept that design when they got the J's.

Thread ressurection... GO!! (just chanced upon this lookin for other VF-84 stuff)

VF-84 adopted a similar style on their helmets in the late 1980s... not exactly the same, but close in many ways... in 1989 for sure (I can see them in their '89 cruise video). I don't know when HGU-55s became the standard but I'm betting they didn't have these for much longer after that.

Edited by Skull Leader