The not so good news is that it appears they completely missed the 75th anniversary that is on the belly of the jet. I am looking for my shot, but have not located it yet.

bill

Bill,As I read it, it looks more like "LT JG ELLYSON." I've been staring at enough grainy pictures of 70's jets lately, so I may be seeing things, but that's what it looks like here.

Hey thanks gentlemen! Yes, it does look like LT JG ELLYSON. And Bill, you say there is a 75th Anniversary painting on the belly? Superscale must have missed out on that one! Does it look the same as the one on the droptanks? If so, maybe I can enlarge it & print it out on decal paper.

Hey thanks gentlemen! Yes, it does look like LT JG ELLYSON. And Bill, you say there is a 75th Anniversary painting on the belly? Superscale must have missed out on that one! Does it look the same as the one on the droptanks? If so, maybe I can enlarge it & print it out on decal paper.

Duh - Lt T G Ellyson was the first Naval aviator. T for Theodore. 75th anniversary of naval aviation. To honor him.

Also note the black antiskid on the aft end of the drop tanks and the corresponding walkway on the top of the wing. That was for access to and from the cockpit when at an airport that did not have a boarding ladder. See http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2011/09/self-boarding-for-douglas-skyhawk.html

Duh - Lt T G Ellyson was the first Naval aviator. T for Theodore. 75th anniversary of naval aviation. To honor him.

Also note the black antiskid on the aft end of the drop tanks and the corresponding walkway on the top of the wing. That was for access to and from the cockpit when at an airport that did not have a boarding ladder. See http://thanlont.blogspot.com/2011/09/self-boarding-for-douglas-skyhawk.html

Thank you sir! And about your link & your comments about the anti-skid...y'know, until I read your post on your link, I never once gave thought to how an aviator might board or get off from his Skyhawk without a ladder. Very interesting post, Tommy. I learnt something new today :worship:

Bill,

As I read it, it looks more like "LT JG ELLYSON." I've been staring at enough grainy pictures of 70's jets lately, so I may be seeing things, but that's what it looks like here.

I should have been more explicit in my note the XX was a place holder for the letters I was not sure of.

b

I have to find my slide, it was the 75th badge like on the vertical centered under the belly.

b