Had a little time tonight and got some cutting done. I found the two tiny HTS pods last night after all, not a very good start. :) Everything is now soaking overnight.

Maybe I should get the Tamiya kit out of the stash instead, I could probably build that in the time it's gonna take me to cover injection marks and get rid of all the flashing... :)

f16cbox2ri9.jpg

Edited by shockwave
I found the two tiny HTS pods last night after all, not a very good start. :unsure:

Those are AMA/AMD pods (depending on who you ask) - there are no HTS pods in that kit.

Those are AMA/AMD pods (depending on who you ask) - there are no HTS pods in that kit.

I thought they looked different from what I'm used to seeing... Thanks for clarifying. :coolio:

Alright, very small update. Started the stores and trimmed the fuselage halves.

40058538wq3.jpg

Warpage... :P

75630883gl3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I have this kit listed in my old Revell catalog from like... 1990 but have never seen it built. Can't wait to see more progress!

Thanks for the interest mate. Just don't get your hopes up too high, I'm a complete noob and the kit's not crash hot either... :P

A little more progress, been wrestling the intake assembly for a few days but it's slowly getting there. Got the pit almost done, not gonna worry too much about detailing.

The following picture may cause distress, experienced modelers beware!! :lol:

pit.jpg

Most of the sub-assemblies are done, hopefully I can show more progress later in the week.

if the canopies gunna be down....whos gunna look?

looking forward to the next pics!

Richard

Yep, got no choice because it's a one-piece deal. :bandhead2: And I hand brushed it with a couple of coats of Future, it came out alot nicer than any airbrushing attempts so far!

Another small update while I'm here: Got the main intake parts glued together and filled, I'll put up a pic soon. Went out on a limb and used liquid paper as filler. I'm pretty impressed what it, and a little wet sanding can do. :thumbsup: Got some primer on the seams (Mr. Surfacer) to check them, and they're pretty much gone! :deadhorse1:

• 1 month later...

I thought it's about time for an update with only a few days to go. Even though I still haven't found my camera's USB cable I've been taking pictures as I've gone along this week.

Yikes, I've never built so fast before! It went from the (badly) finished tub and a half primed intake on Wednesday morning, to tonight she's pretty much all assembled and ready for some filling... Phew! Tell you what, that Tamiya extra thin cement is good sh1te, saved me so much time and made the two massive fuselage halves sooo much easier to put together. :)

There's no big gaps, to kit's credit, so Mr. Surfacer should do the trick. I can hopefully prime and paint it tomorrow, decals on by Tuesday and flat coat by Wednesday... What people do to keep a deadline, and the possibility of a freeby, huh? :lol:

I've never seen this particular Viper kit build before. Good work so far and watching with interest.

Thanks mate. :)

I'm aiming to get it at least primed before dinner, and painted before bedtime. Running out of time real quick!

Update again, even though it's too late for the GB. :) Got the main colours down with a couple of hiccups:

Forgot to paint the outside of the gear doors and the fuel tank when I did the light grey; broke the nose pitot tube (has since been re-attached) and forgot to paint the top of the elevators when I did the dark grey!! :doh:

ssa41271uq3.jpg

ssa41272xq6.jpg

Edited by shockwave

Yet another update. :P

Got some very light weathering done on the top, might do a little more but I wanted to get the basics right first. :woot.gif:

The wheel bays and doors are painted, as well as the fuel tank and the elevators. The HARMS need another coat (darn gloss white!!), the winders need the forward section painted and the jet's nose needs painting too. Almost ready for a gloss coat...

ssa41289ks7.jpg

Nice progress. You are doing a great job. Looking forward to more.

Thanks mate, I'll get more pics up soon. Got the nose and the HARMS painted so now it's just touch ups and the winders. :) Now that I don't have a deadline anymore I'm being a bit more picky about it... :rolleyes:

A bit more progress, all the small bits are painted. Done a bit more weathering, painted the nose with straight light grey, no white mixed in. Also did some touch ups and some post-shading with the straight darker colour over the lightened overall coat. Will do the rest maybe tonight and then it's finally ready for a gloss coat... hehe

ssa41296uw9.jpg

ssa41299hd7.jpg

ssa41302gf6.jpg

Edited by shockwave

It's getting there, finally got some Future on this thing!

Still getting the tiniest bit of pebbling but it's alot shinier than the Tomcat was at this stage - Mr. Surfacer is really smooth, especially with some light cloth-polishing after dry. I've already given it two light coats of Future, one flash coat of Windex and some more polishing with a cloth. Might have to repeat, if I can be bothered. :woot.gif: It should be fine as is for a flat finish - can't get too picky on only my fourth attempt, and only the second after a 15 year break. :thumbsup: Flat coat will be interesting, that'll be a first... :P

ssa41305ry4.jpg

ssa41311vh9.jpg

Wow, I have this kit listed in my old Revell catalog from like... 1990

And that's just the 'C incarnation of these molds... I remember building it as an A somewhere in the early 80s!

Cheers,

Andre

Jets aren't really my thing, but if you're really a noob, you're doing a damn fine job so far!

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. A noob I am indeed. :( All the tips you can pick up here at ARC, and taking note of what things are meant to look like, can really go a long way. :)

Some decals on. Boy I'm clumsy, it took me a few hours to do this much just mucking around with positioning, and some are still a bit crooked (and cut too close!)... :) I'm getting the hang of the Mr. Mark Softer though, so that's something. :)

ssa41312rl0.jpg

ssa41314ep2.jpg

My apologies for the mediocre picture quality throughout... :thumbsup:

Another little step, done most of the decalling a few days ago and been too lazy to put the pictures up. Not gonna worry about the underside too much, mucked up one of the eyes so I'm still tossing whether it'll even get the shark mouth. :lol:

The MM lacquers handled straight-on masking pretty well though, and I'm guessing it's alot to do with the Tamiya tape as well. I "didn't" have time to gloss coat it at that stage. :worship:

ssa41318ut1.jpg

ssa41321ij0.jpg

Edited by shockwave