Matchbox 1/48 FJ-4B Fury....

17-04-2008

Finally got started on this!

box-art_001.jpg

Just finishing off some scribing work...which isn't all that neat...but it's only my third go at this skill and I reckon I am getting better. I have to sy I started the process using a p-cutter type tool and then switched to a BareMetal Foil& Hobby Co scriber....and the scriber is much easier to use and seems to give a cleaner, narrower line.

rescribe_001.jpg

Just two things: I am using hte Hobby Boss Fury as reference and I have noticed two things here.

matchbox_fuse_001.jpg

Note the bit pointed to in red...this is on the Matchbox kit, but is not present on the Hobby Boss Fury. Should Ii remove it?

tail_planes_001.jpg

Just as I was about to scribe detial onto the matchbox tail-planes, I noticed that their shape is completely different ot the HobbyBoss kit...they seem longer and narrower. In the pic above, the white tail-plane is the Matchbox kit and the grey is the HobbyBoss kit. Should I cut the Matchbox tail-plane down?

Also, I noticed that there seems to be a section of the wheel-wells closed in on the Matchbox kit. I was going to attempt some detailing in there, but would that sentral section have been closed off on the real bird or would all three doors on the wing wheel-wells be open while on the ground??

Thanks in advance

Liam

Hi Liam,

did a bit of looking for you as I have all three FJ-4B kits and Ginter book.

1. Stabs, the MB stabs look to me like those on the prototype in the book, they are much more slender that the ones seen on later Furies, think some of these may have been fitted to early furies. I think the tab on the MB stabs is a bit far forward as well. edit. Just read in the book the MB stabs were not shortened to represent the Production Stabs they had the original drawings so take it down.

2. The Notch, I would not cut this out as would make the trough too long. I would fill it.

3. Virtually all of the pics I have of the flight line show the aircraft with all the gear doors and shut (spoils those nice rein well GP does), however I do have some of them sat there with the gear doors open. I dont know if the gear doors opened & closed in time with the gear suqence but, suspect if they did they could be manually opened on the ground for access. To be honest with the MB kit and the lack off (ie NO) detail in there I would close them up.

Noce to see you doing this as I suspect will become a forgotten kit with the advent of the HB Fury. It is an OK kit which was well ahead of its time. There are 2 Airwaves sets (Cockpit + Airframe); a Pavala resin seat; plus Harold at AMS resin does some bits which will turn a good model into a great one. I love the kit just for the VA-126 decals.

Give me a shout if you need any more help.

18-04-2008

Will do Julien......dunno if I'll wait for the cockpit, but maybe I could divert my attention t oattempt a basic scratch-built wheel well using the Hobby Boss kit as reference....

Liam

18-04-2008

Will do Julien......dunno if I'll wait for the cockpit, but maybe I could divert my attention t oattempt a basic scratch-built wheel well using the Hobby Boss kit as reference....

Liam

To be honest if you close up the wheel wells (like 95% of the pics I have seen) you dont have to do anything to the wells.

Julien

• 3 weeks later...

09-05-2008

Ok, delays due to life getting in the way, but finally got back to working on the Fury. The tail-planes are done.....

before_001.jpg

As a reminder, the white one is the Matchbox kit version...too long and narrow for the production airfrme as I was advised.

during_001.jpg

As a work in progress...added some plastic strip, again, using the Hobbyboss kit as reference. Once the glue had dried ( for a few days) I covered the relevant areas with Milliput, smoothed it out using water and sanded it smooth.

after_001.jpg

The final bit done. The tailplane on the left, the lighter grey one, is the Hobbyboss kit. The other two are the revamped Matchbox kit bits...complete with rescribe work ( which although not entirely accurate, I am happy with it!)

Liam

Edited by yeehah1
  • 2 years later...