HA! Well,I think the A-Wing is a F-16,the B-Wing an A-10,and the E-Wing from Dark Empire is the Tomcat! <_<

-Dave

Actually, I think the following is more appropriate;

Y-wings are Phantoms

X-wings are F-18

Vipers are F-16

A-wing are A-4

E-wings are Mirage 2000

TIE Defenders are Su-35

TIE X1 are Mig 29

TIE Interceptor is MiG 21

TIE I/n are Mig 19

TIE Bomber is SU-24

B-wings are indeed A-10

Buck Rogers starfighter is F-14 Tomcat

Then again, I could be wrong

The Enterprise refit in `The Motionless Picture` (I liked that crack :cheers: ) took design to a whole new level of understated grace and aesthetics, even if the film itself was a bit of a snoozeathon.

Klingon D-7 Battlecruisers :unsure: oh yes indeed, they do exactly what it says on the tin.

Can`t leave out Star Destroyers, that would be like talking progrock without mentioning The Floyd.

Cheers, Ian

Actually, I think the following is more appropriate;

Y-wings are Phantoms

X-wings are F-18

Vipers are F-16

A-wing are A-4

E-wings are Mirage 2000

TIE Defenders are Su-35

TIE X1 are Mig 29

TIE I/n are Mig 19

TIE Bomber is SU-24

B-wings are indeed A-10

Then again, I could be wrong

I like that! :)

I also like that I'm not the only one that thinks of these things..................... :(

-Dave

Title amended- didn't think that word made such a difference -apologies

The only gripe with the Spacecraft=to real aircraft (and i do not want to start any kind of huge debate with this) Tie int to me seems more like a foxbat fast beyond all reason. other than that great list!

A Nebulan B Frigate- great response! The reason i started this was to see the variety of choices and there has been no disappointment, other than the fact that i didnt include more picks on my list!

Semper Fi,

Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Y-wings are Phantoms

X-wings are F-18

Vipers are F-16

A-wing are A-4

E-wings are Mirage 2000

TIE Defenders are Su-35

TIE X1 are Mig 29

TIE I/n are Mig 19

TIE Bomber is SU-24

B-wings are indeed A-10

I thought the A-Wing was the speedster of the fleet.....the A-4 couldn't hit MACH. I would liken the A-Wing more F-16C

Y-Wings are bombers only, whereas the F-4 was a pretty able dogfighter....

Here is the way I would go...

Y-wings - A-6 Intruder

Vipers - F-4 (speed through brute force, dirty and packs a punch)

A-Wing - F-16C (speedy, manueverable)

Edited by paul.nortness

You can dogfight a Y-Wing. I did it all the time in the LucasArts X-Wing games and if anything it was perfect for killing TIEs due to the close placement of the laser guns in front. The X-Wing on the otherhand has its guns spaced wide, so one has to catch a TIE with one set of side guns or the other as two shots get wasted in the process since TIEs are so small (I think X-Wing Alliance introduced gun convergence in the X-Wing when a target is locked). So an F-4 Phantom makes a perfect analogy for the Y-Wing.

The X-Wing I consider more an F-15 then a Hornet. Reason being is that the X-Wing is called a "Space Superiority Starfighter" which to me tends to say "not a pound for air to ground", sort of like an original F-15A/C model. But, it can carry Proton torpedoes, just like a normal Eagle can carry bombs, for the times it does need to get down and dirty.

The Buck Rogers Starfighter also makes more of an F-18 Hornet analogy then the F-14 Tomcat. Reason being is that design was originally considered by Glen Larson productions for the BSG Viper and it lost out to what we know today as a Viper. The Hornet was born out of the YF-17 Cobra, which lost out to the F-16 Fighting Falcon. But they found a use for it somewhere. I can't really think of what would be a good analog for a Tomcat, except maybe the obvious VF-1 Valkyrie from Macross/Robotech (which was directly inspired by the Tomcat).

I suppose the Missile Boat from the TIE Fighter game might be the closest Star Wars analogy to a Tomcat since it contained a CRAPLOAD of missiles, one gun and with the SLAM drive it could outrun almost anything else in the game. So like a Tomcat, it was good at slow speed and high speed.

As for my favorite small ships:

Y-Wing

Eagle Transporter from Space 1999

X-Wing

Vipers (all versions)

VF-1 Valkyrie (especially the super and strike versions with the boosters)

Babylon 5 Starfury

Gunstar from Last Starfighter

Buck Rogers Starfighter

Imperial Missile Boat (the original one looked best to me, not the ones from the deluxe editions of the TIE Fighter game)

Big ships:

Movie Refit Enterprise

Enterprise E

Millenium Falcon

Episode III Star Destroyer (like its looks better then the Imperial class)

Scoutship Dark Star from the John Carpenter film

Discovery from 2001

Enterprise C

Movie Jupiter 2 from Lost In Space

Considering what George used to storyboard the fight over the DeathStar.......Incom T-65 X-Wings = Spitfire & TIE = Bf109E.

And Sci-Fi Starshipwise, I am Always going to have a soft spot for two:

1) The original Romulan Warbird, from TOS, and

2) The StarCruiser C57D from Forbidden Planet

But I still maintain, that the absolute most "Brings a smile(or smirk) to your face" spaceship scene of all time, has to be from ST:Enterprise.....With the NX-01 DOGFIGHTING over Manhattan Island, with a Geschwader of laser-cannon equipped Stukas!!! :thumbsup:

-Kevin in Indy

But I still maintain, that the absolute most "Brings a smile(or smirk) to your face" spaceship scene of all time, has to be from ST:Enterprise.....With the NX-01 DOGFIGHTING over Manhattan Island, with a Geschwader of laser-cannon equipped Stukas!!! :D

-Kevin in Indy

What brought a nice warm feeling to me was the USS Defiant opening up on the ISS Avenger in ST:Enterprise "In a Mirror Darkly..." part 2 and blowing the crap out of it. Of course I honestly don't quite know why. :)

Edited by Jay Chladek

I see everyone has a list.......

Here's mine!

Favorite Attempt at Futuristic Realism,

Eagle Transporter (Space: 1999)

Favorite Space Fighter Concept,

Original T.I.E. fighter (Star Wars)

Favorite Large, Powerful Starship,

U.S.S. Enterprise, any era (Star Trek)

Favorite Full-on Flight of Fantasy,

Yamato (Starblazers)

Favorite Real Spacecraft,

Soyuz series, including Progress

What brought a nice warm feeling to me was the USS Defiant opening up on the ISS Avenger in ST:Enterprise "In a Mirror Darkly..." part 2 and blowing the crap out of it. Of course I honestly don't quite know why. :salute:

I quite liked that one, Jay....

"This is EMPRESS Sato...stand by for your new orders" :thumbsup:

-Kevin in Indy

I quite liked that one, Jay....

"This is EMPRESS Sato...stand by for your new orders" :cheers:

-Kevin in Indy

The lovely Linda Park in the bare-midriff micro mini was a treat as well! :)

-Dave