ranger chalk on a SOAR blackhawk

Ok, a ranger chalk is 12 people. Do all 12 cram into one hawk? I broke out my 1/35 mh-60 today along with some 1/35 modern soldiers. Just looking at it, I don't see how you can fit 12 rangers, a little gear, and 2 gunners in the back. Even without the extra internal fuel tank (which I'm leaving out) still not sure I see it. Do I just need to fold these guys up tight, or do you break up the chalks over a couple birds (maybe 3 birds for 2 chalks - 8 rangers in each)?

John

Should be able to get 16 people total on a Hawk, including crew. There shouldn't be any seats in the cabin for a SOAR bird, which will also make some more room for ya.

Jon

Alrighty then! Is the usual way knees to chest with rifle still pointing down? 12 rangers, 2 pilots, 2 gunners, do we have a crew chief also, or does one of the gunners do double duty?

Crap, I was going to go by Mosher's office to see what his office hours were. Did you try calling yet?

John

Actually, I haven't called. Things have been a bit busy around here!

One of the gunners is the Crew Chief too. Not sure which side he stays on, hopefully one of our Hawk guys on here can clear that up.

Not sure which way rifles would be pointed. I seem to remember hearing it was down in the Huey, but up in the Hawk. Only time I flew in the back of a Hawk, I had my M-60 sticking out the door and the slipstream hitting me square in the face. THAT was a RIDE!!!

Jon

Muzzles pointing down should be the way to. That's how I was told 'bout muzzle safety, (better to lose a toe than a piece of jaw or worse). Saw in some pics of troops riding Orixes in South Africa AF besides muzzles pointing down, mags have to be taken off too.

Cheers.

Not sure about 'hawks, but back in my grunt days, it was always muzzle down in the -46 and -53, cause all the important stuff to keep the airframe in flight was above you; a hole in the floor wasn't nearly as bad (not that a negligent discharge was ever a good thing).

Even to this day, I get jumpy when people don't show good muzzle awareness, even if its a cleared and safed weapon being turned into the armory...

Concur with the others on muzzle down in flight position. I have never flown on a 160th SOAR Blackhawk, but that is still the case on a standard Army Blackhawk, Hueys, etc. In a combat situation, magazines stay in too.

Thanks guys. It'll probably be fairly interesting with all of those rangers in the hawk. Anyone tried anything like this? If so, how did it come out? I'm definitely not gluing the guys down, so that if it looks terrible I can get everyone out!

John

Ditto on the muzzles.We were always told to have the grunts point the muzzles down so that in the case of an accidental firing,the floor would take the hit and not any of the flight controls overhead including the main module.As far as the crew chief position, Usually they sit on the right side.I always sat on the right unless I flew as the gunner then The left was where I sat.Back then it was usually the CE's preference and most sat on the right anyway.So they just kept up the practice.Hope it helps!

Edited by hawkwrench

CE on the right to clear the Tail Rotor in most cases. Muzzle down, Think we beat this one to death. As they say in the Army, You can't beat a dead horse. but in the Air Force I've heard them say, there aint no horse to dead to beat.