• 2 weeks later...

little progress...

Because I decided I'll build Capt. Kim Capmbell's mount, whose plane was beaten pretty heavly over Iraq, I'll have to improvise a bit and make battle damage on this model - first time trying to do that...

first damage I'm trying to simulate is a torn vertical stabilizer which had its center leading edge torn away to the main wingspar...

picture of the real thing (courtesy of Aircraft Resource Center):

02.jpg

Progress:

unmodified kit piece

2.jpg

creating a new leading edge - I bended a piece of 0.3mm sheet styrene over the leading edge, squeezed with tweezers and hold that over candle for a couple of seconds, so the shet styrene softened and conformed to the leading edge...

3.jpg

result

4.jpg

then I had to cut out a piece of leading edge - a modellers saw and tamiya's scriber were of big help

5.jpg

and here's the basic damaged stabilizer... more detailing will follow after painting... actually the photo doesn't really show how good it actually looks - I guess painting will show it up...

6.jpg

to be continued...

little update

exhaust are pretty thick in the kit and need to be sanded from the inside...

the left one is sanded while the right one is from the kit - it's hard not to notice the difference

7.jpg

I've added some extra bits to the damage on the rear wings

8.jpg

Hog got her wings. there were no problems with main ones, but the rear needed some Surfacer to fill the wing to fuselage joint

9.jpg