1/48 F-16 Block 40/42 WAR HUDS

Here's my two cents....I think someone should produce just the WAR HUD for the Block 40/42 F-16's in 1/48. They should be able to fit right into Tayima's F-16. Sell them in sets of 3,4,5 or whatever. I'd buy a few sets without a doubt. I don't feel like spending all sorts of money on a resin cockpit set, just to get the WAR HUD. I'm sorry I just don't feel like wasting my money like that. Let me know what you think guys... thanks!

Edited by viperarng25
Here's my two cents....I think someone should produce just the WAR HUD for the Block 40/42 F-16's in 1/48. They should be able to fit right into Tayima's F-16. Sell them in sets of 3,4,5 or whatever. I'd buy a few sets without a doubt. I don't feel like spending all sorts of money on a resin cockpit set, just to get the WAR UD. I'm sorry I just don't feel like wasting my money like that. Let me know what you think guys... thanks!

Hi,

I agree 100%.

I'm hoping that someone will produce that or that Tamiya will release a Block 40/42 kit.

Cheers, Stefan.

Why use the far-less accurate Hasegawa F-16? I hate those things. now that Tamiya has brought theirs out to play.

Because Hasegawa is the only manufacturer that makes an "accurate" F-16B/D kit. Albeit the cockpit is laughable, but at least there are Aires and BB there to remedy that. I'm using a B and a D kit to make a Sufa and Barak, and the aftermarket IP and seats are probably enough to allow for a good cockpit without using an entire cockpit set, although Aires' D cockpit is quite nice...

PE is far too hard to accurately shape for the HUD (at least for me). Dave Roof had a deal with BB for a while to package their HUD with his stiffening plates. I was fortunate enough to pick up a couple before that deal went south.

My opinion is whoever is going to do the HUD should couple it with the plates, being that whichever kit you choose, you'll need both sets.

Just my $.02

Mike

WAR HUDs - Wide Angle Rastor - specific to the Block 40/42 vipers. it was designed to project the IR navigation picture taken from the AAQ-13 Nav pod (LANTIRN) onto the HUD glass so the pilot would see a near daytime image of the area in front of them. Here you can see the HUD and full LANTIRN setup

For whatever reason, the board will not let me create a link the airliners.net site.

Edited by longmc
For those of us who are F-16 challenged, can someone explain the deal with WAR HUD's?

I read about them a lot, but I feel like I'm missing out on some secret handshake or something.

Ken

Hi, Ken.

A WAR HUD is a "wide-angle raster head-up display". I believe they are only on Block 40/42 F-16's. They are very big and noticable.

The "raster" dates from the LANTIRN pod time, the raster HUD allowed for useful display of the pods saw.

Hi Mike,

I don't think the plates are needed every time. Block 40/42's were in use before the plates were added.

For example, I'd like to build a Desert Storm F-16 from Hill AFB.

Cheers, Stefan.

Awesome news Dave! Keep me posted. Any news on the plates for the Block 25/32? Along with the RAM panels?

I have to agree I hate the PE idea...it's too hard to get it shaped into the HUD...I tried and failed many times.

Edited by viperarng25
Hi Mike,

I don't think the plates are needed every time. Block 40/42's were in use before the plates were added.

For example, I'd like to build a Desert Storm F-16 from Hill AFB.

Cheers, Stefan.

Stefan,

You are absolutely correct. The plates were added in the mid '90s. By the time I started working vipers, they were all mod'd (although I've never worked a 40/42).

Because I have a bunch of the Hasegawa ones and I can't really afford the Tamiya ones.

I agree completely. The Tamiya kits are extremely nice, but at twice the price, most of my fleet will still be the hasegawa ones. And OOB tamiya may be "more accurate". But if you take the time you can make a hasegawa look just as nice.

• 14 years later...