1/48th Academy F-111C. No 1 Sqn RAAF. Hawkeye Models Decals, Ozmods resin Pavetack pod, pilots & weapons Hasegawa.

Many small mods from scratch. Hope you like it.

2006_0128F111-20005.jpg

2006_0128F111-20008.jpg

2006_0128F111-20007.jpg

2006_0128F1110002.jpg

2006_0128F1110022.jpg

Built a while back but it's still one of my favourites.

Andrew

Wow, these are nice looking F-111. I've been toying with the idea of building a F-111. It's shame you hardly seen any of these kits build on the net or local show. A good friend of mine flew one of these during Desert Storm. He told me, during his missions he would fly at 1500ft AGL and was feeling a bit nervous until those crazy bastards in there tan Tornado GR MK.1 flew right under us at 500ft :worship:

Man, now that would have been a crazy ride!! :rofl:

Mike

DSC01786.jpg

F111C A8-114 1 Squadron RAAF Amberley, Qld (circa 1998) - Kitech 1/48 FB-111A OOB with Aussie Decals

DSC01014-1.jpg

DSC01010.jpg

F111A attrition replacement A8-113 (prior to wing extensions) 6 Squadron RAAF Amberley,

Qld (circa 1982) - Academy 1/48 F111E OOB with Single Plow C model intakes, RooDecals

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

F111G A8-282 6 Squadron RAAF Amberley, Qld (circa 2002) - Academy 1/48 F111E OOB with Aussie Decals

I hope you like them

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

How about some info on how you built that display stand, in particular it looks like you have some sort of screw / washer setup coming from the a/c?

Mark

Hi Mark, happy to answer questions about the stand.

I decided to make this as strong as possible as this is a large/heavy model. It was always planned to be in this inflight pose so the plans were made with the fuselage halves still apart. There is a 6mm stainless steel bolt through the fuselage, bolt head on the inside and nut & washer on the outside - tightly sandwiching the fuselage and leaving some exposed thread (about 20mm). Some epoxy glue secures the bolt head inside the fuselage after tightening.

I then got my clear acrylic rod mounting post and bent it slightly in the oven. this provides the angle of bank and shallow climb attitude I wanted. A female thread is tapped into the end of the rod which is then screwed onto the model tight up against the nut & washer. The same arangement also holds the bottom end of the rod into the display base. It is very strong and the whole assembly can be picked up and handled by the acrylic rod if necessary. The down side is the slightly ugly bolt + nut & washer extending from the model but from most viewing angles in my display cabinet it is hidden by the fuselage. In this case the small compromise was worth it for the strength provided.

I hope that helps.

Andrew :coolio:

I hope that helps

Hi Mark, happy to answer questions about the stand.

I decided to make this as strong as possible as this is a large/heavy model. It was always planned to be in this inflight pose so the plans were made with the fuselage halves still apart. There is a 6mm stainless steel bolt through the fuselage, bolt head on the inside and nut & washer on the outside - tightly sandwiching the fuselage and leaving some exposed thread (about 20mm). Some epoxy glue secures the bolt head inside the fuselage after tightening.

I then got my clear acrylic rod mounting post and bent it slightly in the oven. this provides the angle of bank and shallow climb attitude I wanted. A female thread is tapped into the end of the rod which is then screwed onto the model tight up against the nut & washer. The same arangement also holds the bottom end of the rod into the display base. It is very strong and the whole assembly can be picked up and handled by the acrylic rod if necessary. The down side is the slightly ugly bolt + nut & washer extending from the model but from most viewing angles in my display cabinet it is hidden by the fuselage. In this case the small compromise was worth it for the strength provided.

I hope that helps.

Andrew :thumbsup:

I hope that helps

Excellent info - thanks!

Mark

Andrew,

How about some info on how you built that display stand, in particular it looks like you have some sort of screw / washer setup coming from the a/c?

Mark

In relation to mine Mark, obviously the base is wood. I drilled a hole through the main U/C well and inserted a long screw which then screwed into the top of the timber base. Quite easy and very solid. The top of the stand was cut on an angle to give the pitched roll look. This F111 sits proudly on my brother-in-laws bar now!

Regards

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Not complete yet and I rushed it a bit to get to this point, but it's all I got :thumbsup: . First attempt at using silly putty for masking- won't make that mistake again. Ironically enough, I decided to scrap the progress on this to start the group build entry...

IMG_0004.jpg

Not complete yet and I rushed it a bit to get to this point, but it's all I got :thumbsup: . First attempt at using silly putty for masking- won't make that mistake again. Ironically enough, I decided to scrap the progress on this to start the group build entry...

IMG_0004.jpg

Looks good from where I'm sitting!

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...