1/48 Draken other version possibilities

Looking at the new Hasegawa Draken kit, it seems that Hasegawa has set the mold up to do a number versions. Some of the things that I saw already in the kit:

- The kit comes with wingroot inserts with and without gun ports so that you can do 2 guns, 1 gun or no guns.

- Spine inserts for different vent/scoop configurations

- Flashed over round circles in the lower wingroot where camera ports on the S35E would be.

- The spine antenna used on some Finnish Drakens

Also, some of the other parts are on individual subsprues so they can be replaced or mixed and matched as needed for different versions:

Sprue F - nose radome. Could be swapped out for a recon nose

Sprue K - undernose IR sensor (leave out for versions that don't use)

Sprue N - wingroot Sidewinder rails used on the J

Sprue C - Exhaust section, IP, and fin top.

The clear sprue also has a gate sticking off to the side where it looks like other parts could be present in the mold. Probably at least the camera port windows, and maybe even the early framed canopy.

Even the intakes look long enough that they could be replaced with the shorter ones as used on the B model.

About the only ones that it looks like you can't easily build (assuming that Hasegawa supplied the right parts in plastic, resin, or white metal) are the A version, which lacked the tailwheel assembly (the fairing and well are molded as part of the lower fuselage half) and the two seaters (the upper fuselage half is definitely single seater only).

I expect that the upcoming Austrian version will be pretty much the same, with the K and N sprues deleted and the C sprue replaced.

Anyone notice anything else?

Anyone notice anything else?

Well, I didn't notice anything since my kits are still somewhere in the mail :thumbsup:

I would like to see some more pylon optuons: like the Y pylon for the B variant or the central pilon for just one fuel tank (again for the B variant).

ECM antennae on tip of the wing would also be grat for a Danish one, if they will make the recce one they could not miss the Danish variant! I hope!

I was told instrumental panel is below average Hasegawa standars but I know a couple of companies taking care of it.

Same for the tyres.

Bigger tanks (like those used by Griphen) would also be a nice addiction for a Finnish or Danish variant.

One can dream from time to time, isn'it?

Paolo

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Sounds like the same possibilities as in the 1:72nd kit, but other than decal variations (and little or no plastic), Hasegawa haven't really taken the opportunity to release anything but the basic kit. No recce, no two seater, no early bird... Sounds more like there's the opening for the aftermarket guys...

Jens

Sounds like the same possibilities as in the 1:72nd kit, but other than decal variations (and little or no plastic), Hasegawa haven't really taken the opportunity to release anything but the basic kit. No recce, no two seater, no early bird... Sounds more like there's the opening for the aftermarket guys...

Jens

Yeah, but I don’t remember the 1/72 kit having flashed over holes in the wing roots for the camera lenses and the Finnish antenna. I’m hoping that this is a sign that they might go a little farther with the 1/48 scale kit. But, I’m pretty sure that you’ll see mostly the later bulged canopy versions from Hasegawa.

I’m basically OK with the cockpit for a kit offering; except for the lack of detail on the left sidewall and the lack of a throttle (you do get the radar control handle, however).

Right now, the only thing I really want for the kit is some 1/48 Super Falcons.

I would be very keen to see them do a Danish Draken.

Not having looked into this aircraft much, I don't know what it takes to produce a Danish version.

I received one from a good friend as a birthday present, and was surprised that Hasegawa used the same box size as their 1/48 F-4, but it's a really nice kit.

From the contents of the box you can make: the two D's with F canopy, OE, F1, F2, J and Finnish. The Finnish ones are based on the F1. Hasegawa have by doing the kit the way it's done, provided possibility for doing long tail A, B, D, early and late E + Danish F35 family, but it's nessesary to swap some of the smaller sprues for new ones. The C needs a new fuselage and shorttail A needs new bottom fuselage. E and Danish nose is not the same.

I would like for them to do the 2 seater as I always like the family versions of fighters more than the single seaters.

That said my Draken is on its way from Sprue Bros in the States and I cant wait for it to arrive,but in the mean time I will finish my F/A-18F from Revell.

Mark