'Silent' Compressors

Hi All,

Currently I'm using a piston type compressor with a 1 gallon tank. It's fairly noisy when running and since my shop is in a confined place, it gets more than a bit annoying. Due to this I've decided to go the silent compressor route and am leaning towards the Silentaire Super Silent ECO Air 20 or the Super Silent 20-A.

Does anyone here have any experience with Silentaire compressors or silent compressors in general who could recommend one of the above or maybe one from a different manufacturer?

I have been using a 'silent' compressor for about 10 years - mine is branded as a Badger, but it is one of the SilentAire types. I have been very happy with mine, even sitting right beside it, I am hardly aware of it cycling on/off. Pricey, but worthwhile if noise is an issue.

I, like you, used to use a one gallon compressor. I had to build a "silent box" so I could use it in my temporary aparment. When I was deployed, I bought a basic compressor from Harbor Freight; only $70. It was quiet and worked like a charm. If you add a braided hose to their rubber hose, it acts like a compressor tank and their is no sputtering. I liked it so much, I bought one for here.

I purchased a slientair about 6 months ago. I LOVE IT. The thing is so darn quiet and works just fine. It was totally worth the money.

Hi Todd,

What model of Silentaire did you purchase?

I originally wanted one of these, but went with a 20# CO2 tank and I love it. I have sprayed approximately three 1/48 scale models with it and I still haven't had to fill it yet.

Filling one only costs me $15. The initial investment in the tank and regulator is a little less than a good quality silent compressor.

In the long run it is more expensive than a compressor, I guess, but it will never break and nothing is more silent....all you hear is the air coming out the end of your airbrush.

Unless I build myself a hobby room one day and pipe air in from a remote compressor, I'll always use these CO2 tanks.

Edited by B-1 Nut
I originally wanted one of these, but went with a 20# CO2 tank and I love it. I have sprayed approximately three 1/48 scale models with it and I still haven't had to fill it yet.

Filling one only costs me $15. The initial investment in the tank and regulator is a little less than a good quality silent compressor.

In the long run it is more expensive than a compressor, I guess, but it will never break and nothing is more silent....all you hear is the air coming out the end of your airbrush.

Unless I build myself a hobby room one day and pipe air in from a remote compressor, I'll always use these CO2 tanks.

I was thinking about using a CO2 tank but my work area is in a very small space which rules out its use. Thinking I'll go with the 'Super Silent 20-A'.

I have a SuperSilent DR 500. You can see it at the bottom of this page:

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/supersilent.asp

I have had it for almost four years and so far it has worked flawless. It is not as "SuperSilent" but the noise it generates won't spread through out the house as it used to be with my first compressor, a Husky that I bought at Home Depot. When the Husky would go off, many times I jumped off the chair and almost ruined my work. Furthermore, its noise limited at what time I could airbrush. That is not a problem any more.

It is expensive but it is a Cadillac.

José

I had been using one of those el-cheapo compressors from Harbor Freight Tools; quick to fill, big reservoir, but loud as a jackhammer symphony. I just bought an Iwata 'Smart Jet' and am much happier. It's a dinky little thing, but it puts out plenty of air for normal needs, has automatic shut-off, and it is about as loud as a large cat's purr. Now I can paint at any time of the day or (more importantly) night, and not disturb the kiddo or missus. It cost a pretty penny, but this is definitely a case of getting what I paid for!!

I have a TC 50. When my wife is asleep, I sneak into the hobby room and I caress it. I'm not kidding.

Seriously though, I have the Silent-Aire 50 and I absolutely love it. When it comes on (it has an auto on/off feature to fill the tank) all you hear is a little click and a hum. It's so great to be able to paint in peace. I have had mine for a couple years, but i don't use it very often. Mybe a week at a time, a few times a year.

I put nice hoses and quick disconnect fittings on all of my airbrushes (OK, I only have 2 and 1 spray gun) and made a nice little holder for my brush.

Pete

I used for a while a standard 2 hp piston compressor with a 50 lt air tank. Yes noisy... but noise

was not a problem in my previous house.

Now I moved, and in my new place I need a silent air source for my airbrush.

So... at the moment I'm building a silent compressor using the motor of an old refrigerator... :blink:

I hope to finish it as soon as possible and maybe post here on ARC a detailed article about the building process!

:worship:

Edited by oldcrow

Alright mine is only silent when its not running, but thats the key, I had WR Brown for 25 years, and wanted something silent and non pulsing, so I purchased the Cambells-Hausefeld 8Gal portable compressor at Canadian Tire for 200$. So when I charge the tank ( 125psi) then I shut off the compessor, I have alot of volume of air to be used, you can regulate it down to near no PSI, I just did a test I set the pressure at 20psi in 2min of constant spraying the volume pressure went down 15psi. the beauty of this puppy is I quick disconnect it from the air brush and I can use Impact tools or what ever. I purchased a small moisture trap by same company, and have it installed between the supplied hose and airbrush braided hose, the supplyhose and inlet side of the moisture trap are quick disconnects which were supplied. Take a trip to CT and check it out if your not happy with it return it, doesn't get much better than that. Good luck Don. :rolleyes:

Alright mine is only silent when its not running, but thats the key, I had WR Brown for 25 years, and wanted something silent and non pulsing, so I purchased the Cambells-Hausefeld 8Gal portable compressor at Canadian Tire for 200$. So when I charge the tank ( 125psi) then I shut off the compessor, I have alot of volume of air to be used, you can regulate it down to near no PSI, I just did a test I set the pressure at 20psi in 2min of constant spraying the volume pressure went down 15psi. the beauty of this puppy is I quick disconnect it from the air brush and I can use Impact tools or what ever. I purchased a small moisture trap by same company, and have it installed between the supplied hose and airbrush braided hose, the supplyhose and inlet side of the moisture trap are quick disconnects which were supplied. Take a trip to CT and check it out if your not happy with it return it, doesn't get much better than that. Good luck Don. :rolleyes:

Hi Don,

Thanks for your reply. I have a very small work area in our condo. So small in fact that my 1Gal compressor is almost too large. Being in a condo and with such a small room really requires me to look at a compressor that makes absolutely no noise/vibration for the sanity of myself and my neighbors.

John,

Think someone confused the Harbor Freight Compressor about which I was talking. This is the one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93657

It's cheap, quiet and works really well. I used it in Iraq in my trailer/room and never bothered anyone. Got one for my apartment here. Think the key is to attach your braided hose to their rubber hose. The extra length reduces sputtering to nil.

I used for a while a standard 2 hp piston compressor with a 50 lt air tank. Yes noisy... but noise

was not a problem in my previous house.

Now I moved, and in my new place I need a silent air source for my airbrush.

So... at the moment I'm building a silent compressor using the motor of an old refrigerator... :thumbsup:

I hope to finish it as soon as possible and maybe post here on ARC a detailed article about the building process!

;)

I'm doing the same. I'll be very keen to read your upcoming article.

I'm doing the same. I'll be very keen to read your upcoming article.

Is 95% finished right now. Needs only some finishes in the paint work (yes it has to work but... also to be

good looking!!) and, most important, I have to fix an air leak...

Well, I received my Silentaire Super Silent 20A yesterday. It's so quiet, you can barely tell it's running unless you pay attention to the click of the pressure switch.

The only unfortunate part of my order is that I received a damaged compressor from Dixie Art. It looks like the distributor boxed a damaged unit as the shipping box is in fine condition but the cover on the compressor is damaged. I just hope that DixieArt will come through on customer service... and yes I have notified them.