'Silent' Compressors

Why did you buy that compressor for modeling? That compressor was designed for T-shirt airbrush artists. :salute:

Maybe he has a T-shirt business asides from modeling.

^_^

I have a Silent Aire 15-A (same as 20-A I think with slightly smaller air tank.) Anyway, it's basically a fridge motor c/w auto on/off switch attached to a small tank, regulator and moisture trap and consequently makes about the same amount of noise as a domestic fridge.

Noise levels have been compared to a cat purring.

Why did you buy that compressor for modeling? That compressor was designed for T-shirt airbrush artists. :woot.gif:

Almost all silent compressors are made for professional artists, mostly for nail salons, automotive airbrushing, and yes...t-shirts.

Pete

Almost all silent compressors are made for professional artists, mostly for nail salons, automotive airbrushing, and yes...t-shirts.

Pete

Actually very few can handle T-shirt airbrushing as the high pressures make the smaller ones overheat and burn up.

Only the Great White Shark , the bigger Jun-Air's and a couple of the Silentaire 50-24's can handle much spraying since T-shirt artists normally spray at 50-80 psi.

BTW I used to airbrush T-shirts. :sign_spam:

BettyBoop_600x430.jpg

site1013.jpg

site1009.jpg

site1003.jpg

Edited by MikeV
Actually very few can handle T-shirt airbrushing as the high pressures make the smaller ones overheat and burn up.

Only the Great White Shark , the bigger Jun-Air's and a couple of the Silentaire 50-24's can handle much spraying since T-shirt artists normally spray at 50-80 psi.

BTW I used to airbrush T-shirts. :salute:

BettyBoop_600x430.jpg

site1013.jpg

site1009.jpg

site1003.jpg

Absolutely impressive!!

José

Hmmm..interesting-

When I was shopping for my Silentaire 50TC, almost all of the silent compressors I found (maybe because I wasn't looking through hobby suppliers) said they were designed for Nail salons, automotive, and t-shirts and most of them put out at least 50 PSI. Maybe the CFM is the distinguishing feature? I could see where T-shirts might require a higher CFM.

Pete

Hmmm..interesting-

When I was shopping for my Silentaire 50TC, almost all of the silent compressors I found (maybe because I wasn't looking through hobby suppliers) said they were designed for Nail salons, automotive, and t-shirts and most of them put out at least 50 PSI. Maybe the CFM is the distinguishing feature? I could see where T-shirts might require a higher CFM.

Pete

Pete,

Many can put out 50 psi but not for long periods of time so while they will work for an occasionl T-shirt or so, they are not designed to last in a fast paced production setting where these T-shirt artists sometimes run a compressor 10-16 hours straight painting multiple shirts a day. That was what I was referring to. Sorry if I was not clear.

Air compressors should only have a 50% duty cycle which means that if the compressor runs 5 minutes then it should be off 5 minutes.

Many of the smaller compressors have small tanks and cannot run a 50% duty cycle unless they are being used at 20-30 psi or so maximum.

To have a compressor last and require that much running time out of it, it needs an air tank of larger volume such as a 5 gallon tank which is what the Silentaire 50TC and others are and even then under a production setting it may not last long as heat is what kills air compressors.

Many top T-shirt artists use industrial compressors in a back room or inside of an insulated, ventilated box to quiet them and help them stay cool so as to prolong their life. :rolleyes:

Us modelers only need a compressor that will put out 10-25 psi for short periods of time unless we scratch build a 1/48 scale C-5 Galaxy.

Then we will need an automotive spray gun and an 80 gallon tank industrial compressor. :rolleyes:

While I have posted this here before, this is my Badger Million Air that I added a large computer type biscuit fan to the back of to help keep it cool.

It runs whenever the compressor is plugged in. The cooler you can keep a compressor the longer it will last.

I have a friend in the business who designed a silent compressor once that recirculated the compressor oil as a car engine does.

He had it recirculate and cool through a radiator system and he said you could not kill it and it would probably last a lifetime easily.

Too bad these silent compressor companies don't do that.

Compressor_800x535.jpg

Edited by MikeV