Dayton Ohio Area Hobby Shops? ?

What are the best hobby shops in Dayton with the:

- best prices?

- friendliest people (staff/customers)?

- knowledgable, honest staff?

- selection?

I know there was one in Fairborn, I loved it but it closed down. I don't even know when it closed because I hadn't stopped by there in months. :thumbsup:

What are the best hobby shops in Dayton with the:

- best prices?

- friendliest people (staff/customers)?

- knowledgable, honest staff?

- selection?

I know there was one in Fairborn, I loved it but it closed down. I don't even know when it closed because I hadn't stopped by there in months. :thumbsup:

I don't know if it's still around but there is a place called "Smiths" or "Smittys" down on Wilmington Pike I used to frequent....Great folks there.

There was a place in Vandalia called Hometown Hobbies But I am unsure of their status as well.

Of course there is the "Hobby shop" right on Springboro Pike just north of the Dayton Mall.....Big place and not a bad selection.

There are 2 hobby lobbys in the area.....1 in Springfield and 1 a little farther down I 70 just over the Ind/Oh state line.

Loveys in Fairborn ...... gone

Hobby store in Vandalia.......gone

Smitties....still there, good selection good prices on kits, almost no aftermarket, friendly folks

Hobbytown.... typical hobbytown

Hobby shop by the Dayton Mall good selection, higher prices

2 hobby lobbys in Dayton, one in Springfield, one in Richmond

I had a feeling the place in Vandalia was gone.........They were mainly a RR store as I remember.

They had a couple of nice set-ups downstairs.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely recommend Smitties. Very friendly staff, pretty good prices and the selection was also quite good ( good enough to leave the shop with 7 kits :thumbsup:

But do not waste too much time at the USAF museums gift shop. The selection there is g....amn awful. I did not buy a single kit there. It is a great place for books tho. Prepare to pay full msrp tho.

If you're prepared to pay MSRP, the gift shop at the museum can be a way to score OOP kits. They had the AMT KC-135 kits for a long time after they disappeared from everywhere else.

Shame about Lovely Treasures closing, great place and a good way to kill a couple of hours. Anyone know why it closed? I know the owners were up in years.

Ken

Lovely Treasures was my favorite, that's why I was wondering what happend to them and if there were any like it around Dayton.

They had the BEST selection and a lot of older kits qwith good prices. They were friendly people. If anyone knows what happend to them it would be nice to find out.

• 10 months later...

Just came back from a trip to Dayton, I'll second Smitty's, decent selection, some OOP kits, very good armor selection, aircraft selection was varied in a good way, they didn't have the same kits that every other store has.

Good prices too, picked up a new Airfix 1/48 TSR.2 for the same price that Spruebrothers charges.

Decent paint selection and prices, friendly folks.

Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

USAF Museum prices were at or close to MSRP, selection was bigger than they've had in the past but the prices killed it for me.

The Hobby Shop near Dayton Mall has the largest selection of any of the above and a very large selection of Hasegawa kits in 1/72 and 1/48, unfortunately the prices are near or at MSRP.

Ken

Edited by kenlilly106

If you have time for only one shop, it'd be Smitty's. Darn shame about Lovely's.

I once got a heck of a deal on a 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190A-8 kit at The Hobby Shop.

It was marked at full retail, but when the guy scanned it, it registered at $16 and some

change. He sold it to me at that price.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Richmond and I'll second RT's Hobby Haus. There is a toy store a couple doors away that also has a surprisingly varied kit selection and there is a Hobby Lobby right by I-70. You might wait for a Hobby Lobby sale and then make the trip from Dayton and hit all three.

• 5 years later...