Logging in problem

I am really frustrated with this logging in issue. I have tried everything suggested in the various threads on it. I have even deleted my entire firefox profile to make sure there is no possibility at all of a corrupt cookie file lingering somewhere. That also reset all the privacy settings and advanced Firefox settings (the stuff you get to when you go to about:config). So, it cannot be a bad cookie or bad setting.

As an example, to get to the response window to be able to type this, I had to log in five times before it "stuck". I will probably have to log in another five times when I click on add reply. This has become so frustrating for me, that I basically completely stopped to post. The other reason for me to log in is to use the advanced search functions - again it takes about five logins to get a search going.

For what it is worth, I actually have the same problem on my laptop, which happens to be a different operating system and one earlier build of firefox. I don't have this problem on any other forum that I frequent - it is only with ARC.

Post script - as expected it wouldn't take my post above as I got - yes you guessed it - logged out. I wonder how many people are having this problem and literally cannot post to complain about it. Anyway, I'll keep trying until I get this post through...

Post post script - ok, it is now 20 minutes later and I am on a third computer using an old version of internet explorer. As expected, it also didn't work with firefox on my laptop. I am not too hopeful here either, since even with IE I've had to log in three times so far to get to where I am now...

When i am logged out i just write "b" and "berkut" showes upp in my login. Automaticly password also shows up. Then it is just press log in button. Takes 3 sec :taunt:

I am getting logged out about 1 times per week or so...

But search on other hand, THAT drives me crazy. :thumbsup:

I have to log in every single time I go to the forums. And now, I cannot log in at all from the main page. I click on login, fill out my info and it says "logging in jwest21" but when the main page comes up, I am still not logged in. The ONLY way is I have to go one of the forums and then it will let me log in. Weird...and only on my home PC- Vista, Explorer 7.00.6000

I'm back!

After being completely unable to login for several days, it suddenly stuck again! Not sure what Steve did (I emailed him a couple of times about the problem), but it worked. Thanks!

BTW, Berkut - my problem wasn't one of getting logged out once a week. It was a problem of logging in, getting the "You are now logged in as Oryx" page, followed by a page that says "Logged in as: Guest". You went through that about five times, and if you were lucky you got the "Logged in as: Oryx" at last. As soon as you then navigated to a sub-forum, it said again "Logged in as: Guest". The result was that it was impossible to post or do advanced searches on the forum.

Anyway, it seems to work again, so it looks like the problem somehow got resolved...

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke too soon... :salute:

My last post required, wait for it, 15 logins (I counted them). To get to the reply window for this post required 6 logins. Who knows how many will be required to actually get this posted. I am sorry, but this board is messed up - and I know for a fact I am not the only one with this problem. I have done everything from cleaning up cookies to installing new versions of Firefox and IE, posting from multiple computers and even trying to post from more than one location to make sure the problem isn't with the IP address. I am active on several forums and not one of them has this problem.

The routine for posting here is something like this: click on reply, log in, log in, log in, log in, log in, get to reply window, try to post, log in, log in, log in, log in, get to reply window, try to post, log in, log in, log in, get to reply window, try to post, see post is successful but immediately got logged out again... It is driving me nuts!

I have made one adjustment to the settings regarding the "staying logged in issue". I have made it easier for people to stay logged in if they are using more than one IP address to view the boards. This is related to the cookies the board generates and I suspect this problem is cookie related.

Let me know if this help or worsens matters regarding the "staying logged in" issue.

I have made one adjustment to the settings regarding the "staying logged in issue". I have made it easier for people to stay logged in if they are using more than one IP address to view the boards. This is related to the cookies the board generates and I suspect this problem is cookie related.

Let me know if this help or worsens matters regarding the "staying logged in" issue.

Tried it this morning after I cleaned up my cookies. No luck. Still won't keep me logged in. I also have a dynamic IP (Dial-up). :woot.gif:

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Tried it this morning after I cleaned up my cookies. No luck. Still won't keep me logged in. I also have a dynamic IP (Dial-up). :woot.gif:

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Ok....here's an angle I'm working on. Do you log into your ARC member account on the forums from 2 different computers? The latest upgrade on the forums program really tightened up security and part of this affected people logging into the forums from 2 different computers (and IP addresses). The cookies gets put on both comptuers and the IP addresses are made note of by the computer. Then when the person visits the forums from the other computer the cookies and IP address don't match up with what the foprum program is looking for so the person keeps getting logged off.

Anyways this is the angle I'm looking at......the latest theory if you will.

So the main questions is.....if you are having problems staying logged in.....are you visiting the ARC Forums from 2 different computers?

And does the staying logged in problem only happen on one of your computers?

Also...if you can't respond here...send me an e-mail at forumsupport@arcair.com

Ok....here's an angle I'm working on. Do you log into your ARC member account on the forums from 2 different computers? The latest upgrade on the forums program really tightened up security and part of this affected people logging into the forums from 2 different computers (and IP addresses). The cookies gets put on both comptuers and the IP addresses are made note of by the computer. Then when the person visits the forums from the other computer the cookies and IP address don't match up with what the foprum program is looking for so the person keeps getting logged off.

So the main questions is.....if you are having problems staying logged in.....are you visiting the ARC Forums from 2 different computers?

Steve.

This is the issue for me as ARC is sometimes on 3 PC's for me.

I will check with Lori tonight when she gets home from work and see if she has the same login issues that I do as she only browses ARC from her PC.

:cheers:

MikeJ

I have the same issue, but its a bit hit and miss...sometimes I'll be logged in, sometimes not. Most of the time, I get logged out if I log into other sites/forums/whatever, but occasionally it seems to be "just because". Doesn't worry me overly much, though..

Steve.

This is the issue for me as ARC is sometimes on 3 PC's for me.

I will check with Lori tonight when she gets home from work and see if she has the same login issues that I do as she only browses ARC from her PC.

:wave:

MikeJ

I know as long as I use the same computer to vist the same account on ARC....I'm ok.....the minute I begin to visit my other account with the wrong computer I get the logging out issue.

Also one member simply opened a new account and that sorted the problem for him. So for the chronic cases I might set them up with new accounts using their old member name. But then their "join date" and "member number" would be lost and I couldn't bring their old posts to their new account....although I could give them their old post count. Their old post would remain just not attached to their new account.

I suspect you are onto something with that.

I use the same laptop, and pretty much always access ARC working from home via my cable provider, never had an issue with login.

Yesterday I actually had to drag myself into the office, so I accessed ARC from the corporate network. Same laptop, browser, cookie jar etc, but to your end it would have come up as a different IP. Had to login the first time, then I was fine all day.

Back home this morning, back on my usual connection, had to log in again first thing.

Hope this Helps,

Matt

I suspect you are onto something with that.

I use the same laptop, and pretty much always access ARC working from home via my cable provider, never had an issue with login.

Yesterday I actually had to drag myself into the office, so I accessed ARC from the corporate network. Same laptop, browser, cookie jar etc, but to your end it would have come up as a different IP. Had to login the first time, then I was fine all day.

Back home this morning, back on my usual connection, had to log in again first thing.

Hope this Helps,

Matt

This was all part of security "enhancements" to block hackers. I can understand where the Forum programers are coming from as this program is very popular and a big target for hackers, but it is not the best excution of their ideas.