Entering the combat zone with this - which is planned to be a quick build.

Italeri_F111A.jpg

Here are the box contents this morning:

AA_Italeri_F111A001.jpg

I thought through Variable Geometry, and reckon it's best to paint the wings first - so that's what I did this afternoon:

AA_Italeri_F111A002.jpg

And the bits that are in contact with the wings.

I've got one book that saw Combat Lancer planes had White or Green undersides, but have just found a

photo with Black undersides - I might make a different option now!

I thought it was Harvest Reaper jets with olive drab, Combat Lancer and Constant Guard V jets had black undersurfaces.

SAC SIOP scheme FB-111A's had white.

Can you post a picture of a SEA over white a/c ?

Edited by ElectroSoldier
I thought it was Harvest Reaper jets with olive drab, Combat Lancer and Constant Guard V jets had black undersurfaces.

SAC SIOP scheme FB-111A's had white.

Can you post a picture of a SEA over white a/c ?

It's image 17 in the FotoFax book. A groupphoto from directly ahead of the plane. I've now found photos of Combat Lancer planes, and am going with black, with metal leading edges.

As I don't think this model (with undercarriage) is accurate in anything other that taxying mode - I installed some drivers from my spares box. I even decorated the bonedones with offcuts of decal, just like the book cover underneath.

AA_F111A_airframe001.jpg

Now for the rest of the airframe, with seams being treated.

AA_F111A_airframe004.jpg

And I can't resist posting a fully swept back picture!

This looks like the fastest plane in the world - I don't know why everything else doesn't copy the shape.

AA_F111A_airframe003.jpg

Why did you paint the fuselage and wings while still on the sprues, but not the nose or fin?

Colin W

I did the wings because there's always a bit concealed, and it changes with the sweep angle.

I was airbrushing this Phantom that day as well http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=151928

I did the shoulders etc so that I don't have to be as careful masking when the next sprayday comes.

I left the rest - so that I can treat the joins before airbrushing the centre section.

With hindsight it would have been prudent to paint these with Tan at the same time - so that I can pencil on some guides for the green camo.

Hi Tim, looks like your F-111's coming along nicely. What is it about the undercarriage that gives it away as being in taxiing mode?

Chris

In all the photos that I've got (by no means definitive):

Flying - gear up, wings any position, configuration according to speed,

Landing pattern - gear down, flaps, slats and leading edge glove lowered,

Departure - slats & glove lowered, gear raising as quickly as possible,

Parked - elevator deflected,

BUT I've got two photos, in my book, of Lakenheath F-111s taxiing with clean wings, and level elevators, as this model will be completed.

Crew are present in both photos - cockpits closed.

I did read a comment that Jaguar pilots were fined to the full price of the evening's bar bill, if they ever parked their plane with the wings unclean, obviously this tradition didn't catch on in the F-111 community.

The wing checks do need the wings to be extended, but that was a quick check so the wings could be back at any point.

It would land with the wings at full stretch flaps and slats down, spolilers and glove veins up, position of elevators vary.

68-050.jpg

At the next point it will of course taxi to its "park" or from its "park".

The pilot might

Wings forward, flaps and slats down, glove veins up, spoilers down, elevator position dependent on what the pilot was doing i think, so could be in any position.

av01-jf04.jpg

DFST9207732-.jpg

DFST9207731.jpg

Or the wings could be fully in full back sweep and the evevators as above, but most often deflected

[F-111F would have the Pave tack rotated out of the bay but the head would be in the stowed position, doors open]

0315893.jpg

After it arrived at its "park" it was usual I think to have the wings fully forward and the flaps

12-f111e034.jpg

But it could also be parked like this

494AMU_joe_sadler.jpg

0666038.jpg

0631626.jpg

0537646.jpg

F-111's always have there flaps & slats extended directly after a flight as the ground crew need to inspect under the wing spoilers & the vanes after (and before) flight. The only time that they would be different is was if people wanted them that way (i.e. for a picture or to save space for towing etc). So 99% of the time F-111's flaps & slats are extended on the ground - including taxing. Also, if the engines are at idle and there is weight on wheels (ie the aircraft is on the ground) the spoilers would be extended too as shown here in electo's picture....

DFST9207731.jpg

HTH

Thanks for all the pictures that prove I needn't have installed crew figures.

However I'm leaving then in there now.

Day off work, plus a trip to the dentist. Beautiful weather so I did some model work as well.

Fitted the cockpit, masked it, then prepared for airbrushing.

First I painted the fuselage Tan.

AA_F111A_painted001.jpg

Then I pencil shaded the green camo patterns.

AA_F111A_painted002.jpg

Finally airbrushed the camo on.

AA_F111A_painted003.jpg

My IPMS(UK) mag turned up yesterday, with an article on the F-111. I does say that Combat Lancers had Dark Green undersides - so having painted the undersides of my wings Black - I've rule that option out.

The alternate is a Constant guard plane - very similar to the back cover of the mag.

I painted an A-37 Dragonfly at the same time.

I painted an A-37 Dragonfly at the same time.

Decals on that Dragonfly tonight, and some detail paint on the F-111.

Hopefully a quick coat of matt (for both), first thing tomorrow morning, then I can remove the canopy masking,

paint the radome, and do some more photos.

Whilst the matt varnish is drying, I took some photos of my F-111 fleet. Light isn't very good today, so I might retake these - when the sun comes out.

But in build order:

Airfix F-111E probably built about 1987

AA_Airfix_F111E1.jpg

Swing linkage isn't very good with this - so wings aren't always aligned. Same with the elevator.

Hasegawa FB-111A built in 1991ish

AA_Has_FB111A.jpg

Very fragile - but if there's one that I'd like re-do, it would be a Hasegawa F-111.

Monogram EF-111A built about 1995

AA_Mono_EF111A.jpg

Finally not an F-111, but has been mentioned, and painted at the same time as the thread F-111A - Academy Dragonfly

AA_Acc_A-37B.jpg