I thought I'd kick off my build thread. I'd done a little work on this before the start of the group build, but I've gone and undone some of it as you'll see in the pictures.

I've changed my mind and decided to do a G version, just because I prefer the markings really.

I started with the cockpit area. The kit is really basic in this area and doesn't even provide an opening. So I had to cut through quite a bit of plastic to make room for the resin pit (from Ozmods). I also sanded down the rear wall a bit. I still have to carve out a bit more plastic to make way for the cockpit panel.

DSCN3934.jpg

Here is the resin cockpit. I've added a little detail with plastic card. Still have to add joysticks. I've sanded quite a bit off the back wall to make it sit better.

DSCN3930.jpg

The intakes are very poor on the kit. This image shows how they appear unmodified.

DSCN3928.jpg

I installed one of the Ozmods intakes, but decided that other than the intake ramp, I doesn't really add any detail.

DSCN3927.jpg

I used the kit's plastic intake parts, as they're easier to modify.

DSCN3929.jpg

After a lot of carving, here's where I'm at now.

DSCN3931.jpg

And here's an overall shot dry-fitted together. The extended wings are also from Ozmods.

DSCN3933.jpg

Hopefully more to come soon.

Chris

Chrisopher, that really is a magnificent effort thus far. I remember seeing the 1/144 F-111 a long time ago - it isn't accurate at all as I recall, so the work you are having to do to bring it up to spec - and at that scale - is remarkable.

I look forward to seeing the developments...

Thanks Cloggy!

A bit of an update. I've painted up the cockpit, it's ready to install.

DSCN3939.jpg

Also did some work on the burner cans. I got hold of some appropriate diameter and wrapped some thick foil around it with the petal patter already cut into it.

DSCN3941.jpg

DSCN3942.jpg

The unmodified kit parts are on the left, new on the right.

DSCN3945.jpg

I also modified the rear component of the burner can, carving it into better shape.

DSCN3946.jpg

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Its always a pleasure to watch your 144th builds, always excellent work in such a small scale. Looking forward to seeing this one completed as well!

Edited by Dax

Thanks guys! Here's an update I just posted in the In-Progress forum.

I've attached the canopy to the forward fuselage, and the forward fuselage to the body. As you can see it took quite a lot of filling along the join. I also used a lot of super glue to eliminate the step between the nose and the windscreen.

DSCN3977.jpg

I've also begun rescribing and filling some of the panel lines behind the cockpit.

DSCN3980.jpg

Finally, I printed off some scale plans and found that when I overlayed the model on them the engines were sitting about 4mm too far back. I know it sounds a bit AMS, but this mean that the rear of the cans were in line with the booms next to the elevators, when in fact they should be well inside. The solution? I ground about 2mm off the bottom of the burner cans, and removed about 2mm from the rear fuselage.

DSCN3976.jpg

DSCN3978.jpg

And with the burner cans attached

DSCN3979.jpg

I'll have to do a bit of sanding now to get the fuselage flush with the nozzles.

Thanks for looking,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this thread up to date. I've lengthened the nose and re shaped it a bit to bring it into line with some scale plans I got hold of. I think it looks much better now. Just have to rescribe the detail I lost.

DSCN3981.jpg

DSCN3982.jpg

DSCN4069.jpg

Here's the original, and the modified nose below it for comparison

DSCN3977.jpg

DSCN3984.jpg

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hey Ray, thanks for the interest. I've made a bit of progress with this build, though not as much as I would have liked.

I've filled and sanded the rear end of the model, adding a plate below the tail and attaching the nozzles.

DSCN4105.jpg

DSCN4102.jpg

I replaced the original ventral fins with plastic card as they were far to thick. You can see where I filled the mounting slots to get an Idea of how overscale they were.

DSCN4104.jpg

For the main landing gear I bored out the centres of the wheels and replaced them with hubs taken from 1/72nd revell Hummer wheels.

DSCN4095.jpg

Here's a bit of a before and after

DSCN4099.jpg

I've also remade the nose gear. I extended the strut (as I'd deepened the wheel bay), and scratch built the folding part from a bit of plastic card. The wheels are Revell 1/144 F/A-18C nose wheels. A little overscale on that model but nearly perfect here.

DSCN4148.jpg

A pitot tube for the nose was made using a pin and faired in using mr sufacer.

DSCN4149.jpg

And here's what it looks like now, sitting up on its wheels.

DSCN4150.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...