For my participation to the groupbuild, i've choosed the old 1/72 Esci kit. I think this kit is a good base for the Phantom. I haven't choose yet the deco too much choice...

I try to insert the Aires cockpit and this resin part provided a good and easy updated for this kit.

I make resin air intake from the original Esci part but with modification for the air ramp

I hope you understand my poor english (I'm french)

Ivan

The Boxart :

boxart_F4J_esci.jpg

esci2.jpg

esci1.jpg

50YEARSblack2.jpg

Edited by Fanakit

Hi Ivan,

That's awesome progress on a kit that's not often seen.... Your embellishments look as though they were made for that kit! It also looks as though you've done some of your refinement by removing ailerons etc. Please keep it up. I hope you can make a decision for the scheme; you're right about there being too many excellent Navy/Marines squadrons and options!

Cheers for now,

Andrew.

Thanks for your comment

the kit is near painting now, but no photo for the moment

just a pic of the cockpit before it was insert in the fuselage with a lot of sanding to fit it for the Esci model, after this photo the right back console was totally remove for the J version, and the Hasegawa part was used in place

cockpitF4J.jpg

I've choose the deco it will be certainly the VF-114

Edited by Fanakit

This build reminds me my youth. I can't count how many of those Esci Phantoms I built. It was a good kit for that era, especially since I din't care about cokpit details at that time ;)

So thank you very much for sharing this experience with us ;)

Your cokpit is really PHABOLOUS!

Wow,dont know how i missed it but very nice cockpit i like it very much!!!

really nice lookin pit considering also that is 72nd scale...great effort!!!

cheers and keep it up on this nice work

:salute:

• 3 months later...

Great looking Phantom, I've always had a soft spot for the ESCI F-4 as well.

A couple of pointers to make it more accurate: US Navy F-4s don't have the reinforcing plates (the little arrowhead shapes) on the stabilators and it looks like you have the curved inner pylons as used by the Air Force; Navy ones have a straight edge. File down the leading edges and you'll be there.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing the finished jet :crying2:

A couple of pointers to make it more accurate: US Navy F-4s don't have the reinforcing plates (the little arrowhead shapes) on the stabilators and it looks like you have the curved inner pylons as used by the Air Force; Navy ones have a straight edge. File down the leading edges and you'll be there.

Thanks for this details, I'll try to correct this, it will be easy for the pylons, but for removing reinforcing plate :bandhead2:

I've finished to paint orange, and black walkway

esci6.jpg

IIRC, the ESCI kit has both types of pylons. Check the sprues. Other than that, looks great so far.

Thanks Hammerhead I've forgeted to check the ESCI sprues... :blink:

Yes i've got them, but now the Hasegawa pylons are painted :beer4:

I've corrected the stab, and I crop the decal film for each letter and number, I hope silvering will be limited...

decal are from the old Microscale n°72-111 sheet

decal.jpg

esci8.jpg

now a lot of work for the small stencils...

Edited by Fanakit