Hey everybody!

Just got to wondering today, which F-16s are capable of accomodating the CFTs on top? I was thinking of adding some CFTs to my F-16s, but wondered if only certain ones could carry those tanks.

Look at me, doing an accuracy thing! :deadhorse1:

JB

I thought they could, but I haven't seen any pics of them installed.

Oh yeah, Polish Vipers can carry CFT's, check picture below, linked

from Airliners.net. Since I only found pics of the DJ with CFT's on, I

have to assume the same goes for the CJ, even though not confirmed..

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Poland---Ai...16DJ/1338043/L/

Oh yeah, Polish Vipers can carry CFT's, check picture below, linked

from Airliners.net. Since I only found pics of the DJ with CFT's on, I

have to assume the same goes for the CJ, even though not confirmed..

If I remember correctly, there is a pic or two of the single seat Polish Viper with CFTs on the F-16thread in the Research section.

The F-16 has to be built to carry CFTs. This is not an option that is retrofitted. For example, you'll never see a USAF bird with them. As people have stated, the newer models built for Israel, Poland, Chile, Greece, UAE, Singapore are built to carry them.

The F-16 has to be built to carry CFTs. This is not an option that is retrofitted. For example, you'll never see a USAF bird with them.

They were tested on several airframes at Eglin and Edwards AFBs on USAF jets, including a Block 25. They were then shopped around to European nations on a 52FW Block 50.

Jake

There's photo in the ARC Gallery area of a Misawa Block 50 with them on it. Don't know how accurate it is or if they are merely sitting on there but I would think that an airframe's an airframe. Anyone know for sure? I have a resin set that I was considering putting one of my USAF birds but this may not be an accurate representation.

Pat,

They were tested on several airframes at Eglin and Edwards AFBs on USAF jets, including a Block 25. They were then shopped around to European nations on a 52FW Block 50.

Jake

So in theory- I could add them to just about any of my USAF F-16s?

jb

Jake

I guess I should use better wording. The airframe has to be built and plumbed to use the CFTs. According to the LM test pilot I was working with, it takes to much rework (bulkheads and piping) to retrofit an old jet to use CFTs. The test jets may have only been carring them for Form Fit Balance but not functioning.

So in theory- I could add them to just about any of my USAF F-16s?

jb

No. The USAF birds are not built or plumbed to carry CFTs. The test birds may have gone through major rework or they were probably using ballast CFTs to test performance with them on.

They were tested on several airframes at Eglin and Edwards AFBs on USAF jets, including a Block 25.

There were two CFT designs, an early test article and the later production shapes.

They were then shopped around to European nations on a 52FW Block 50.

IIRC those were the test shapes, and only shown on a static display bird, not in flight. In other words, falsies.... :wave: