Was just in Stephenville, Newfoundland. Home to the former Harmon AFB.

HQ...gotta love the globe !

hang19.jpg

One of the old barracks.

hang18.jpg

Plaque and models at the airport for one of the crashes....

hang20.jpg

hang20a.jpg

QRA sheds

hang1.jpg

Can't help but think that this little cut out was for the nose of a 102......

hang2.jpg

hang21.jpg

Thses are the ones I really like. Check the different door cutouts for the -97, the KBs and that one big one ( C-123 ? )

hang17.jpg

hang5.jpg

hang4.jpg

hang3.jpg

And a little closer.....

hang10.jpg

hang9.jpg

We broke, no, snuck.....I mean, we were invited inside one to look around !

hang6.jpg

Judging by the door cut-outs, you could have two smaller KB-29/50 types or one larger....

hang7-1.jpg

Here's the rear of the hangar where a long nose would stick

hang8.jpg

Very cool pictures. Thanks for posting. I really enjoy poking around old military installations. A while ago I was up at the old Snark Missile site at Presque Isle, ME. Pretty cool. I tried to convince the wife to take a ride out to the ex-Loring AFB but she wanted to head back home instead. From what I have seen online, it would have been pretty neat to explore that old base. Please post some more if you have them.

Regards,

John

Great pics! Speaking of old miltary installations, does anybody have any shots of the buildings at Castle AFB in California? My late grandfather used to be stationed there, and I've seen some of his old pics, but just wondering if anybody has any shots of what's left there (if anything)?

Loring was initially built underground. Just before I left I went near the above ground nuclear storage area and parked alongside a foundation that was off to the left as you face the area. There was an opening on the floor of the foundationand when I went into it I found a central area with a post office in the middle. All the usual military individual postal lock boxes were still there and there was still a couple envelopes around. On the edge of the space were tunnels going off in different directions with the name of the final destination above the opening, bowling alley and so on. The tunnels were almost completely flooded with very cold water so I just left. I never got back there with my camera.

Not far from Loring was a satellite tracking area and at the base of its hill was a old Bomars missile battery site. Some of the missile doors were still closed and a couple were partly open and one launcher was partly extended. You could look down into the entrance to the underground area because the door had been torn off. The whole facility was under crystal clear ice water. You could look down the long flight of stairs and see some chairs that were left there as well as a picture hanging near the bottom.

From what I was told, Loring had originally been about 18,000 acres but by the time I got there in 1977 they were down to about 9,000. outside the fenceline you could find old anti aircraft emplacements and occasionally a small concrete structure with a heavy metal door. No idea where it lead. Many of the tunnels connecting the barracks were still there but most had been put off limits for one reason or another. Our squadron maintained aa section where they had a "tension relieving chamber". You could sign in for a while and work off the stress by breaking anything you brought in but you have to clean up after yourself. The times were monitored by the day room admin people and the dorm watch for off duty hours. The attendee had to sign in and out.

One time someone decided to patrol some of the corridors in the tunnels and came across a wallet which he turned into the duty officer. OSI was notified and they said to seal off the area and not open the wallet. They sealed the tunnel, the wallet had already been opened. The ID card dated back to the 1950s. We never did find out anything else about the OSI's orders and the thing was quickly forgotten.

Here are a couple of hangars that were at Biggs AAF until being torn down in the late 1990s. Theye were built during WW II to accomodate B-17s and B-24s, were later used by various units when Biggs became an Air Force Base in 1947 and used by the US Army from 1966 until deemed excess. They were of a design that was common for the war period.These photos were taken in 1990.

BiggsB-17HangarApr901.jpg

BiggsB-17HangarApr902.jpg

This 1987 photo shows them beyond the base fire station.

BiggsFireStationOct87.jpg