David-

Surprised to see one of the 911th AW Hercs down in TX. Didn't know they made it that far for shows, but I guess if people can come visit PIT for our show, the 911th can go down in return. I hadn't seen that nose art before; with the Buccos' record lately, I'm surprised anyone would want their name on a plane. Notice that the players are all from glory times past.

"Hard to Get" is one of my new favorites - is that a B-26C? ;)

Holmes - thanks for the note, I'll go through my more recent pix and see what else I have.

And as always, thanks to everyone who is sharing on this thread. Great stuff!

• 5 months later...

Here is some from Me:

The Spooky at the USAF Armament Museum (Eglin FL)

5854371740_38997cff5c_b.jpg

F-15 At the USAF Armament Museum (Eglin FL)

5854369190_9d17b271ca_b.jpg

Grand Fat Albert (Retired Blue Angels Fat Albert) Pensacola Naval Air Museum FL:

5840193619_f98dc984f9_b.jpg

Boarding Steps

5840742080_c15b45e7b0_b.jpg

Last Crew:

5840192003_4042a00b30_b.jpg

Fat Albert:

5840740210_0a5b7e684d_b.jpg

Found another nose art:

5854395592_a8d460f335_z.jpg

Larger one

The Aircraft above is a DC-3 at Valiant Air Command, Titusville FL, she flew at D-Day, then was sold to the Danish Airforce who used it to ferry VIPs around, then it returned to the US and was brought by the VAC at Titusville.

She actually flew 3 runs on D-Day, two runs with Gliders and the third with Paratroopers.

Edited by UK_tomcat_fan

These three aircraft were assigned to the 42nd Bomb Squadron, 11th Bomb Group on Oahu in 1943. Belle of Texas and Dogpatch Express were shot-up on the same mission, a December 1, 1943 raid on Maloelap. Belle of Texas landed on Mullinnix Field at Tarawa with no brakes, using parachutes tied to gun mounts to slow the plane. Dogpatch Express went down 90 miles east of Maloelap, and survivors of the ditching were strafed by the Japanese. Naughty Nanette was salvaged after a crash-landing on Nanumea, having run short on fuel trying to get back to Funafuti. (Photos are from my new book, Finish Forty and Home.)

BelleofTexas.jpgDE.jpgNaughtyNanette.jpg

Edited by Finish Forty and Home
  • 1 year later...