Tamiya 1/32nd scale F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting falcon.

Hi guys 'n' gals, :D

Thanks for stopping by. I'd like to share this build with you if I may?

After the recent F-15E Strike Eagle I was considering a number of projects but stumbled across this Tamiya F-16 CJ kit at a recent model show. It was being sold by someone thinning out their stash and was marked down from the retail price so I took the plunge. I'd long admired the kit but had n't managed to save enough to buy it.

By coincidence, there seem to be quite a few Vipers being built at the moment so I'm in the fortunate position of being able to crib ideas from many sources ;)

The plan is to model a line bird from the 23rd FS, "The Fighting Hawks" based at Spangdehlem. A big thanks to JMEL who has already kindly donated decals from his stash to help me build this bird, cheers Jake :thumbsup:

As many of you know, the kit instructions call for the modeller to begin by building the engine and dolly. Since I don't intend to display the motor I started elsewhere.

For me, there are three main areas of focus on a modern jet fighter. In no particular order they are, the jet nozzle/s, the undercarriage and the cockpit.

Some of the eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that I like to spend a little time on each of these parts :cheers:

For this build I've started building up the cockpit first. The Tamiya tub looks first rate and would build up into a beautiful rendition straight from the box. Of course, that does n't stop the modeller from tweeking it a little.

Armed with my copy of The Modern Viper Guide I've added a few little bits here and there. I'm sure many of you know that Jakes' book is a peach with lovely, clear photography. What this means is that you can see loads more detail to add. ^_^

O.k, enough of the intro.......on to the piccies.

I've tried to size these at about 100k hoping that this will give a compromise between clarity and easy browsing for dial-uppers.

tn_Cockpittub4.jpg

One of the most notable omissions on the left hand side of the cockpit is the yellow canopy locking lever. This large spidery object was constructed from tiny plastic extrusion. (It's probably a bit too close to the undercarriage retraction lever but I won't say anything if you don't.............)

tn_Cockpittub3.jpg

Whilst the throttle is a mini work of art, the stick needs work to the buttons on its' top. Here, I've added the four seperate buttons. Each one is a different design. Top left is a button, top right as a domed knob, bottom left is a fairly plain knob and bottom right is a castellated knob. The seat rail is dry fitted for the photos and is a WIP but, annoyingly, I've just noticed I've knocked the top off the elbow rest! (I'd repositioned it in the down position similar to the way Jake has done on his build.)

Edited by geedubelyer
This should be good...

Great start

Hi Anthony, thanks for the kind words. I hope you like it. ;)

tn_Cockpittub2.jpg

Most of the buttons and knobs are presented neatly by Tamiya. The layout of some of the panels differs from the reference book but apparently that's not un-common. I've added the G-suit hose on the left console and O2 hose/comms line on the right.

tn_Cockpittub1.jpg

Tucked away at the rear of the right hand side console is a map light with coiled flex.

For some unknown reason, Tamiya have left all of the dials devoid of detail :blink: This is puzzling since the older F-15E kit had raised detail which was easier to pick out with paint. I've resorted to drilling out the instruments, punching out discs from clear plastic and adding some Reheat paper instrumentation behind. It looks o.k. from a distance <_<

The MFDs are photographic film cut to shape (including the HSCI) as this jet will be displayed as static. (No crew this time..)

tn_Cockpittub5.jpg

So,........I've made a start

The seat's up next.

Now I've got to go and offer up a sacrifice to the carpet monster in the vain hope that I can find that armrest! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Mmmm...cockpits *droool*

I have a weakness for cocpits as well.....it´s almost sad to put them into the kit because all the goodies won´t show :thumbsup:

Your cocpit looks great!!

:thumbsup:

Oh, Guy! I'm in love already. I really like what you've done with the EHSI. If I can get you anything else you need for this masterpiece-in-the-making, by all means, don't hesitate to ask! I can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and craftsmanship with us!

Jake

Hi gang :)

HOLMES, boogerman, BeeJee, Aigore, many thanks for your kind words guys. I hope you stick around for future updates and enjoy the build.

Oh, Guy! I'm in love already. I really like what you've done with the EHSI. If I can get you anything else you need for this masterpiece-in-the-making, by all means, don't hesitate to ask! I can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and craftsmanship with us!

Jake

Hi Jake, glad you dropped by. I'm overjoyed that you like the work so far. I'll be following your build closely so please highlight anything I need to correct before I get to it, o.k? ;)

rom, habu2, Jack-Swiss, Hi guys, I appreciate your words of encouragement. habu2, I suspect I may be troubling you for info at times if that's alright?

that's a pit....an not a xmass three with red and yellow everywhere.......

something really looking like a military jet pit.

Great job

Pat

Cheers, Pat. I really like the effect that Pig achieved in his build with the lettering around the knobs and switches. I don't think my version is quite as neat as Petes but I'm pretty happy with it. The colours are a direct copy of the piccies in Jakes' book.
Looks great, but what happened Guy? I thought you were build a TOMCAT next! hint, hint...

-brian

Yeah, sorry about that Brian, I hope you're not too disappointed. I'll try and make it up to you in the future. ;)

Jake (PS630), Chris, Mike and Regevmo I'm thrilled to see you guys here. I hope you'll continue to enjoy the ride as things progress. (Zacto, that is one wicked sig. banner! :))

This weekend was spent attending the spring time airshow at RAF Duxford so no news yet. I'm working on the seat at present and I've just finished stippling some two-pac modelling putty to create sheepskin. I'll try and post some pics later in the week.

Keep well all,

:D

Edited by geedubelyer

All right! If your Strike Eagle build is any indication, this Tamiya Viper is going to just as gorgeous and a great compliment to display with the Strike Eagle together. I'll be following this build for sure.

Since I don't intend to display the motor I started elsewhere.

I hope this doesn't mean you're going to seal up the engine in there? Although you said you don't intend on displaying the engine, I think it would be a nice to leave that option open.

Hey G-Dub!

Wow! ...About time you treated us to a ViperJet! :) The work is your typical "tremendous" ! I especially like the canopy lock latch: That's a fiddly bit that is so hard to get right, and you did! Also love the gold seat tube..you can feel the weight of it-superb weathering there!

I'll check in often for inspiration!

Warm regards,

Pig

Nice cocpit you're showing! Very nice details!

I'll be on your six with this build!

Thanks Viper01, it sounds like you're the kinda guy I need to keep me on the right track. If you notice anything you think I should alter, please mention it. Enjoy the build :huh:

I'll be following this build for sure.

I hope this doesn't mean you're going to seal up the engine in there? Although you said you don't intend on displaying the engine, I think it would be a nice to leave that option open.

Hi RS, good to see you on this build.

Hmmm....I'm not sure about completing the motor. When I built my first Mudhen I spent ages adding detail inside the avionics bay and radome. I've never had them open to this day! :yahoo: These models take me long enough without super-detailing an engine that may never see the light of day....I'll think it over but my gut tells me to seal it up.....

Hey G-Dub!

Wow! ...About time you treated us to a ViperJet! ......

I'll check in often for inspiration!

Warm regards,

Pig

Hiya Pig, great to see you here. Well, after seeing all of the terrific builds going on it seemed a shame to miss the party :lol: Besides, one cockpit, one motor, this is easy!...(oops,.....famous last words :woo:)

Thanks for the kind words my friend, much appreciated. Please check back often and let me know if anything seems out of place, o.k? I don't know my way around this jet very well yet. I'm hoping that you, Jake and the rest of the F-16 experts will hold my hand a littleand keep me honest.

That canopy locking lever was tough. It seems a strange omission for a company of Tamiyas calibre don't you think? It is quite a noticable item in the cockpit, I'd have thought they'd have included it. Funny that they omitted the de-fog vents on the IP glare-shield too...I wonder what else I'll come across as the build progresses?

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not knocking this kit in the slightest. It's gorgeous. I'm still plugging away at the seat for now. I've shaved off all of the hoses and added them with wire to try for a more 3D effect. This model is engineered so precisely. I dry fitted the assembled seat on the rails and, man!, what a tight fit. The only problem now is getting it back out to paint it.......

:yahoo: