Started my build today using the academy 1/48th kit, being built completely oob.

so here we go take a peek:

Painting the cockpit humbrol no. 140 the paint is still a little wet hence the shine!!!

18052008262.jpg

As is the cockpit sidewall

18052008263.jpg

Got the wings and assembled including the moving pylons mechanism

18052008258.jpg

the engine fans painted still needs a little touch up

18052008265.jpg

the rear undercarriage assembled

18052008264.jpg

and the stabilators assembled

18052008260.jpg

In the instructions the stabilators are to be glued static in place but I thought if the wings are movable why not the stabilators too? so to allow them to move both at the same angle at the same time i employed a ridiculously simple idea: I was going to cut and glue an old piece of sprue but then measured the gap between the pins and didnt have a spare sprue piece long enough then a cotton bud caught my eye and thought that seems about the right length and had holes already in either end so removed and cleaned the cotton and dry fitted it and it was a perfect fit! glued it in place ta-da!!! so there you have it!!!

I have another day off tomorrow and will be starting to detail the cockpit and assembling the rear fuselage so see you tomorrow

Dom

Edited by domvickery

ok some more progress today, i love the simplicity of this kit and how it all falls together only had a few minor hiccups which were easily overcome but still along way to go!!!!

ok some pics:

got the instrument panel detailed it may not be true to the real thing but i like it!!

19052008266.jpg

i also painted the tub and added a wash and some dry brushing to bring out the detail

19052008272.jpg

the seats are painted, but needs another coat of red and some touching up then on to paint the seatbelts

19052008279.jpg

after dry fitting ready to glue the forward fuselage halves together it needed some ballast so it's not a tail sitter using 3 bolts and some white tack (thanks to my dad for the bolts)

19052008276.jpg

the forward fuselage zipped up ready for sanding filling, sanding filling, and then some sanding filling, sanding filling...............

19052008278.jpg

Thats all for now folks any feedback and or tips would be greatly appreciated

until next time!!!

Edited by domvickery
  • 3 weeks later...

so a little bit more progress now,

got her all buttoned up and got rid of the ridiculous step that was behind the cockpit added the tail then very lightly pre-shaded the top half now i just need to mask up and attach the canopy and its ready to paint. Also got the burner cans assembled and painted

09062008296.jpg

09062008297.jpg

09062008298.jpg

Lookin' good. The pics look like you already painted he tail, between the exhausts? Or is that just my imagination?

yea i sprayed the burner cans revell 91 steel and had some left over & didnt really want to waste it so just splashed it on!!!

• 3 weeks later...

so after what seems like months and months nad quite possibly the most amount of masking tape i have ever used, all i need are a few tiny little touch up's then she's ready to be decalled and the final parts chucked on whoop whoop!!!

05072008125.jpg

05072008127.jpg

05072008130.jpg

and yes i took the pictures in my kitchen hence the kettle in the background anybody fancy a brew??

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

just a small update nothing worth taking photo's of, got all the decals put on now i'll give it until tomorrow and i'll seal them in then everythings done, i've got all this week off so hopefully be finished by the end of the week!

So finally which has been on the bench since forever!!!! i think i've done as much as i can. I added some promodellers wash to my bird which i wasnt very happy with it went on fine but didnt really stay in the panel lines but it really dirtied her up which i like and think it's come out quite well.

anywho here it is i hope you like:

08102008175.jpg

08102008179.jpg

08102008180.jpg

All tanked up

08102008182.jpg

08102008183.jpg

so thats my whiff,

Thanks for looking

Dom