Difference between Tu-142 an Tu-95

All,

Would like to know the minor or major differences between Tu-142 and Tu-95 if there is any.I am planning on doing the Indian Navy version.Not sure which one INS has ..

Which make of this model and which scale is good?

Regards

Vivek

Trumpeter makes several Tu-95/142 kits in 1/72 and some in 1/144. They're pretty nice and look great.

Not sure on fit and accuracy, but they look good to me.

And unfortunately, none of the Trumpeter kits will work for the Indian Navy jets - their Tu-142 sub-type would need a revised tail and underfuselage fairing, among other modifications. I had hoped to do the same thing, but no dice.

As Dave said, there's many differences between Tu-95 sub-types, and many differences between Tu-142 sub-types, so lots of differences between one Tu-95 sub-type and one Tu-142 sub-type. The Polygon Tu-95/-142 book has good coverage of the major versions (as would any other Yefim Gordon book/article).

I didn't think the Indian Navy had Tu-95's, just Tu-142's. I could be wrong though...its happened before. The older Revell 1/144 Tu-95 kit looked like a Tu-142 to me, with the belly radome and sensor fit. Not sure of its overall accuracy or fit though. Here's some info on the Indian Tu-142's:

LINK

That's a big question. All Bears up thru the Bear E were Tu-95s based on the original bomber. The Tu-142 was a wholesale re-design of the basic airplane, originally to turn it into an ASW platform. The wing is different (totally different airfoil, etc), with lots of other differences.

The Tu-95MS (Bear-H) was originally thought in the west to be called the Tu-142 Bear H (which is how we were reporting its activities throughout my tenure in USAF intel in the mid-1980s), but it turns out to have been based on the Tu-142, but is in fact called a Tu-95. It shares much more in common with the 142s than the earlier Tu-95s though.

Trumpeter makes the only models worth mentioning. They do a Tu-95MS (the cruise missile carrier) and a Tu-142MR Bear-J TACAMO (submarine communication) aircraft. Neither is what the Indian Navy flies, which are Tu-142 Bear F ASW aircraft. It would not be impossible to modify one from the Bear-J (the Bear H would require more work), but it would still be a fair amount of work.

Trumpeter does both types in 1/72 and 1/144. The only other Bear kit worthy of mention (and barely at that) is the very old Revell 1/144 Bear-D maritime reconnaissance/missile targeting variant. However, being an early 1980s kit, it is seriously out of scale and crude in many areas.

J

I didn't think the Indian Navy had Tu-95's, just Tu-142's. I could be wrong though...its happened before. The older Revell 1/144 Tu-95 kit looked like a Tu-142 to me, with the belly radome and sensor fit. Not sure of its overall accuracy or fit though. Here's some info on the Indian Tu-142's:

LINK

The Indians have eight Tu-142 Bear-F ASW birds. The old Revell kit is a Tu-95 Bear-D, which is not an ASW platform, and is a totally and completely different airplane in every way.

J

Unfortunately, another case of Trumpeter making the wrong choice of which variant to kit, like the big MiG-29M/K. While the -95MS is fine, the -142MR is a relatively rare and less interesting version. I think they would have been much better served by doing one of the -142M Bear F ASW versions.

A bit of work to make THIS from THIS

Trumpeter's model is very expensive for me at this moment.But will do it once I save some money..

Did the Bear ever had any other paint scheme other than the aluminum color?

Thanks for all the technical calrification.....

Really appreciate it

Reagards

Vivek

Edited by vivkulan

While on this subject - is there a way to make a Bear with a glass nose and chin radome from the Trumpeter 1:72 kit while keeping it reasonably accurate? To me, that is the image of the Bear that the Norwegian pilots went looking for oh so many times...

Jens

While on this subject - is there a way to make a Bear with a glass nose and chin radome from the Trumpeter 1:72 kit while keeping it reasonably accurate? To me, that is the image of the Bear that the Norwegian pilots went looking for oh so many times...

Jens

The Indians and the Russians have been painting their Bear-F ASW airplanes light grey for many years for corrosion control. Flying airplanes low over the ocean without having paint on them is a sure way to end up with a pile of white powder.

Jens - the answer is no. All Tu-142s and the Tu-95MS have a completely re-designed cockpit area and windscreen from earlier (glass nosed) Bears. Compare photos of a Bear-H to a Bear-A thru G to see what I mean. The diameter is the same (as a B-29, down to the mm), but the whole geometry of the nose is different. Also, earlier Bears had a much (much) thinner wing leading edge profile. Trumpeter screwed up the much thicker profile on their kits (the famous "vertical wall" leading edge).

I just wish someone someday would do a series of early Bears, from the A thru the G.

J

Jens

Not really Jens......

As Jennings has said, the Tu-142/Tu-95MS has a different wing (although, visually you could probably get away with it) as well as other changes.

Most notable though, is the cockpit..... on the Tu-142/Tu-95MS the cockpit was lengthened - and the cabin glazing altered and raised in height.

Note the cockpit windows on this Tu-95K-22....

day04_016.jpg

....compared to a Tu-95MS....

day04_001.jpg

'old' Tu-95K-20.....

day_03_18.jpg

'new' Tu-95MS.... note the smart, new, all-light-grey colour scheme....

day03_052.jpg

Ken

PS - I know the K-20 & K-22 are not 'glass nosed' - but they have the same 'beetle-brow' cockpits as the pre-Tu-142/Tu-95MS Bears.

On the early variants, the top line of the glazing slopes down to meet the small front windscreen, on the Tu-142/Tu-95MS, the top line is (more-or-less) straight until it meets the taller front windscreen.

Edited by Flankerman

Hey guys this topic is getting more interesting.I am really bad at remebering the variants of any airplane..Too much to remember for me. How many variants of bear is out there???

Even though one of the bear squadron is in my state in India I have never had a chance to see him. :thumbsup:

Hey guys this topic is getting more interesting.I am really bad at remebering the variants of any airplane..Too much to remember for me. How many variants of bear is out there???

Even though one of the bear squadron is in my state in India I have never had a chance to see him. :(

Hey dude....my simple suggestion to you would be to grab a 1:200 DML 'Orient Express' Tu-142 contraption that DML put out 25 years ago. its cheap as chips! :thumbsup: And its a nice kit, if you have small hands and you wont winge about fiddly little parts during assembly.

Just paint it a light gray and put the Indian naval decals on it (have your computer buddy do them on an Alps printer at your college computer lab), and you'd be alright. :thumbsup:

Even though one of the bear squadron is in my state in India I have never had a chance to see him. :)

There are lots. The confusing part is, there are numerous types of Bear-F ASW airplanes. But in general there are:

Bear A: basic freefall bomber

Bear B: Platypus nosed missile carrier

Bear C: " "

Bear D: Naval reconnaissance & missile targeting

Bear E: Photorecon conversion of Bear A

Bear F: ASW platform (numerous subtypes)

Bear G: Bear B/C converted too more modern missile carrier

Bear H: Based on Tu-142 Bear F airframe, cruise missile carrier.

Bear J: Bear F modified as a TACAMO submarine communication platform

That's the Bear in a nutshell. The Bear F, H, and J are all derivatives of the Tu-142, although the H is actually called a Tu-95MS. They all share a common new wing and revised cockpit area compared to all the other Bear types. Lots of other small differences, but that's the gist of it.

J

Adding to Jennings excellent 'Bear necessities' :bandhead2: ......

There was also a Bear airliner - no, not the Tu-114, but the Tu-116.........

tu-95_45.jpg

...a VIP-configured Tu-116 converted from a Tu-95.

It was capable of carrying 20 passengers in a pressuried cabin. Only four were built.

I photographed it at Ulyanovsk years ago....

tu-95_46.jpg

tu-95_49.jpg

Ken

Adding to Jennings excellent 'Bear necessities' :thumbsup: ......

There was also a Bear airliner - no, not the Tu-114, but the Tu-116.........

Ken

Would that make it a Bearliner?

:woo:

I'll get me coat...

Jens

Thank you much for the info.Did the Soviets ever sell this airplane to other countries other than India?

What was its primary role in the Soviet Union?Bomber or Naval Recon ops?

Thank you much for the info.Did the Soviets ever sell this airplane to other countries other than India?

What was its primary role in the Soviet Union?Bomber or Naval Recon ops?

No, India was the only other nation to operate the type. Well, Ukraine did have some Bear-Hs in their markings, but they got rid of them pretty quickly after they renounced their nuclear weapons. The airplanes went back to Russia.

Its primary role was:

Bomber

Missile carrier

Photo Recon

Naval Recon

Missile Targeting

Cruise Missile Carrier

ASW platform

TACAMO comms platform

Testbed

Sort of like asking what the primary role of the C-135 family was :whistle:

J

Why? What was the primary role of the C-135 family?

"C" stands for CARGO, but it was designed to be a tanker from start....

EC, RC, and many other variants and sub-variants were created later...