Hi all,

Here is what I have done so far. Comming along VERY slowly :cheers:

I have started with constructing the weapons bay. The tunnel covers are milli-put to simulate the cloth covers, with copper wire for the laces. The rest is scratch built from plasticard.

IMG_1913.jpg

Here's what the real thing looks like...

post-2388-1135354248.jpg

Edited by nimrod77

Great start - will be watching this build closely!

Phew, just spent the evening rebuilding a tiny part of the instument panel on my Blackbox cockpit so I understand your comment about coming along very slowly!

Great start. I was hoping some one would have a go at the bomb bay. I couldn't even find a decent picture and with the weapons bay holding the wing mechanism it causes a lot of additional work on the Academy kit.

Good to see how it turns out.

Colin W

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am still learning to scratch build..... trial and error.

I have a little update for you all. I have just returned from a 3 week stint in sunny Tindal, and managed to smuggle a little modeling gear with me.

I have finished the Nose Wheel Well apart from the little details, and made a good start on the Main Wheel Well. I am planning on building all these sub-assy's before adding them to my final build.

Here's my Nose wheel well next to a pic of the real deal.

IMG_2235.jpgF-111CNWW.jpg

The dimensions in LxBxH were taken from the kit supplied part, I decided the best course of action was to build a new one from scratch as the Academy pieces have spurious details on them and has a stepped back. This step in the kit pieces is to bring the kit nose gear to the "correct" position when fitted. This step does not exist on the real thing. What should be there is the Crew module rocket motor and, in this jets case, the Forward equipment bay's fire extinguisher.

Here's Academy's attempt..

IMG_2238.jpg

The Main wheel well is started :o Got lots to do in there but have yet to decide when to stop <_<. I followed Raptor01's lead and used the Hasegawa wheel well as a guide. I think that it looks 100% better than the kit parts. Just have to get over my AMS and finish it now!! All the details are made from sprue and Milliput. I think it looks ok so far..

Academy's rendition..

IMG_2240.jpg

Mine...

004.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

The real thing...

F-111CMWWFront.jpg

F-111CMWW-1.jpg

Let me know what you think!

@ Mark T.... I wussed out at building the flaps & slats myself. I ended up buying the Scaledown set.

Edited by nimrod77
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am still learning to scratch build..... trial and error.

I have a little update for you all. I have just returned from a 3 week stint in sunny Tindal, and managed to smuggle a little modeling gear with me.

I have finished the Nose Wheel Well apart from the little details, and made a good start on the Main Wheel Well. I am planning on building all these sub-assy's before adding them to my final build.

Here's my Nose wheel well next to a pic of the real deal.

IMG_2235.jpgF-111CNWW.jpg

The dimensions in LxBxH were taken from the kit supplied part, I decided the best course of action was to build a new one from scratch as the Academy pieces have spurious details on them and has a stepped back. This step in the kit pieces is to bring the kit nose gear to the "correct" position when fitted. This step does not exist on the real thing. What should be there is the Crew module rocket motor and, in this jets case, the Forward equipment bay's fire extinguisher.

Here's Academy's attempt..

IMG_2238.jpg

The Main wheel well is started <_< Got lots to do in there but have yet to decide when to stop :monkeydance:. I followed Raptor01's lead and used the Hasegawa wheel well as a guide. I think that it looks 100% better than the kit parts. Just have to get over my AMS and finish it now!! All the details are made from sprue and Milliput. I think it looks ok so far..

Academy's rendition..

IMG_2240.jpg

Mine...

004.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

The real thing...

F-111CMWWFront.jpg

F-111CMWW-1.jpg

Let me know what you think!

@ Mark T.... I wussed out at building the flaps & slats myself. I ended up buying the Scaledown set.

You're Crazy!!!!!!!

I baulked at doing the weapons bay, nose and main gear wells. I figure the work involved in the wings is a lot easier that what you're

currently doing.

Well done mate! Your work looks excellent.

You've inspired me to have a go myself.

Cheers Mate.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

That looks great, Nimrod- question though- have you cut the kit main well out yet? Any problems? I'm looking at mine, and I think I'm on the verge of chickening out. Maybe I should build the replacement first?

Edited by Dax
That looks great, Nimrod- question though- have you cut the kit main well out yet? Any problems? I'm looking at mine, and I think I'm on the verge of chickening out. Maybe I should build the replacement first?

Yep, I have cut it out. Admittedly I have used an old kit that I built YEARS ago which met it's end at the end of a freak wind off the top of a TV cabinet!!

I decided to use the corpse to experiment on MOOHUHAHAHAHA!!! ...... anyway... Here's the result.

IMG_2310.jpg

I took the kit MWW out using a dremel with the sanding drum attached. came out with no hassles. I haven't cut out the openings for the intakes yet but that's coming up next. I have to make sure that the CE stuff fits in with the new MWW.

At least if I stuff this one up I know not to try it on the real thing.

And you can learn from my triumphs and mistakes.

Cheers mate

Hi again all,

Just a quick update. I have nearly finished my MWW. Here's what it looks like now

IMG_2314.jpg

I had to massage it to make it fit with the CE intakes :thumbsup: but it fits now.....

All the piping is solder and stretched sprue.

More to come as I finish it :woot.gif:

Cheers guys!

Nimrod

Edited by nimrod77

Really nice work there Nimrod- I'm still debating wether to redo my MWW (vs just detailing it) and your work is pushing me to make the plunge. If I do, I'll definitely be using yours as a basis... :woot.gif:

How did you do the center brace as far as "hollowing out" the structure? And how do the flexed sidewalls fit in with the undercarriage- can you post a pic of a dry fit there?

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Dax

I used a technique called stitch drilling to remove to material in the hollowed out bits. Mark out your shapes and then use a drill to "cut out" the shape by drilling along next to your line (on the waste side of course). Then cut the little bits in between with a sharp knife.

The Hasegawa kit piece that I initially used was too small, so I measured and drew one up myself using the structure that I had already built (front and rear bulkheads). Wasn't as hard as I thought that it would be.

Let me know if you need any more info mate.

I'll get back to you on the dry fit of the main gear.....

HTH!

Edited by nimrod77

That's travelling along nicely Nathan. I was thinking of doing similar with my next F111 build but came to the conclusion that nobody is going to look under it in my cabinet, so why bother. I am glad I bought the Scaledown wings, a/b cans and pavetack though. Keep up the good work. I am watching your build with interest.

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again all,

There's not much to report as life has got in the way of modelling again :worship:

What I have done is finish off the attachment points for the nose landing gear, and modify the nose gear to accurately show what the F-111 nose gear looks like.

Here's some pics....

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

More to come once life slows down a bit :woot.gif:

Cheers guys!

Nimrod

The new leg is scratch built from plastic tube/stock and aluminium tube for the oleo. The axle part is from the kit gear. I just cut it off and threw the rest away. It was rubbish anyway, completely looks nothing like the real thing. I mean really! ..... sorry, been watching Top Gear again... got all Clarkson there for a second :)