Found this old toy F-14 that is roughly 1/32 (probably a bit closer to 1/35 though) I started it as a good practice "thing" when i got back into modeling a few years back. i have finished some kits since, but work on this keep stalling and its become one of those quagmire kits (giggity). It seems that every time i fix something i find two more things to do. This is what i have done so far that has taken years of on and off work:

p1010087vk8.th.jpg

p1010085fl9.th.jpg

p1010088ao3.th.jpg

p1010086es0.th.jpg

-Canopy made from clay, styrene, and epoxy.

-removed electronics

-filled screw holes

-kept huge awkward box on the bottom because it controls the wing hinges

-removed toy landing gear

-smoothed out entire nose section, sanded, and filled, then did it again, and again, and again.

-added new fins (it was going to be a kind of star fighter before that idea went stale.)

The new plan is to make it a Russian jet a lot like a Flanker with a few other ideas here and there. Suggestions are welcome and I am hoping that doing it in-progress here on ARC will give me the Motivation to finish this beast once and for all!

Semper Fi,

Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Oops! forgot to mention that i added a Lego front to that giant underside box in an effort to either blend it, or make it look like a Sub munition dispenser...or something... thanks for the encouragement folks. Im thinking about removing those fins and adding scratch built fins that look more like a Flanker-Any Thoughts??

Semper Fi,

Ben

Ben

I am open to new ideas where modelers show their talents and I like what you have done..look forward to seeing more( had a look at your photos

on your imge sites, they are really great!)

Wel Done...Great work..

HOLMES. :coolio:

Thanks Holmes! you don't miss much- You always seem to find my threads!! Anywho i made some progress this long weekend but havent taken pics of everything just yet. I made this from Legos (a staple for me) then covered it in Confetti, the cutting took a while and the whole thing probably took a good hour or two. Just like clear parts, the confetti is highly unforgiving so i had to do a few over and replace some panels. I based this off the F-35 EOTS and made it about the size of the chin pod on the F-14D. The finished product is on top, and that black lego blob in the pic is what i started with, i plan on running some thin black lines to clean them up more.

F-35 EOTS can be seen here:

800px-F-35_EOTS.jpeg

p1010098dl5.th.jpg

p1010096kg9.th.jpg

More to come,

Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

More Progress: This picture is of the new pancake tail, based on the Su-27. I made it using an 1/48 F-4 centerline tank and some round styrene for the spine and plan on adding more greeblies and maybe some Chaff/Flare dispensers again like the Flanker.

p1010101ra4.th.jpg

I have decided to lose the blue tape on the engine cans that was added for detail. i was worried it wouldn't have enough detail for a part of the aircraft that is usually fairly complex, but i decided that since the cans are sub assemblies that can be added after the rest of the model is painted, that i can finish them in various metalelizers and get a good look with masking. This makes them a little closer to a Mig-31, rather than the AL-31s used on the FLanker. The Plastic tubes are

based on the Sorbitsya Jamming pods

a-40_52.jpg

that Flankers (and apparently seaplanes) carry on their wing tips but will have the same length and function as the BOL Rail on the F-14 (just need to decide what missile i want to put on it)i used "googley eyes" for the round ends. The small tube next to the Rails are the IRST systems that will actually be on each side (why not two?), again its round plastic tubes with a small google eye for the "Lense" and a larger one for the outside cover.

p1010102li0.th.jpg

Semper Fi,

Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

When i started this thread, i also made a list of all the things that have to be done on this model. Last night i went over all the things that are sub assemblies, or things that could wait to be painted after the main aircraft (canopy frames, engines, missiles ETC) My plan now is to finish only what is preventing painting. This may be a bit unconventional but when you have project that won't die, progress is very important. I'm hoping to have this primed (again) by tomorrow with a paint job decided on by then as well. Hoping for everyones input though:

Green:

1_5_b1.jpg

Blue:

1345569.jpg

And of course other ideas are welcome as long as they are Russian

-Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Got off work early today, and knew exactly what to do! I bought a Sotar airbrush that sat in its case for months...well today was different. This airbrush is incredible. i used an Aztek 4079, before this and its like going from a geo to a Porsche, fine lines and it NEVER JAMMED any bad lines you see are certainly my fault and not the airbrush! This thing is exciting, and makes me want to finish a few more of those, built but not ready to be finished kits we all have here and there. (and i seem to have a ton of) I still dont know why they say the aztek is good for beginers it was not my first airbrush, but it was my first double action frustrating as hell, Why make someone new to airbrushing gnash their teeth and pull their hair?? Anywho Sotar Rocks

p1010010zl6.th.jpg

p1010011vm7.th.jpg

Painted the bottom blue today, i think it came out pretty good. I'm also leaving myself some time to decide on the Camo scheme B) since the green camo version has blue undersides too. I actually forgot to pre shade the F-14's Right Wing (no thats not an election joke of any kind) so i just preshaded it with the same blue color which is cool i like being able to compare the two.

24 hours until base coating,

Ben

Cool altered cat (no pun intended)! Really like the canted tailpanes and the rear radar/spine thing you made Can't wait to see paint or how the filled in underbelly works out (1st pic) Macht immer der guten Arbite!

I decided on green. Evolution:

1_5_b1.jpg

p1010015ba6.jpg

p1010016ur8.jpg

p1010017ch6.jpg

p1010021sh3.jpg

p1010023sc0.jpg

Finished the black just now,this was a bit of a marathon airbrush session: the first Acryl MM black clogged the brush- disassemble/clean. I then tried polly scale, Same result disassemble/clean. i finally decided to go Tamiya Gloss black because that was the last option!! Its the reason the paint looks glossy in some areas and flat in others. it will become uniform after a flat coat. i held this heavy thing up with one arm while spraying with the other, while rotating it to get another angle the nose bumped an open bottle of rubbing alcohol which proceeded to spill everywhere!! set the finally working airbrush down and wiped up the spill, then reloaded the airbrush that tipped and fell spilling paint. needs a flat coat after decaling but that's for tomorrow...or next week... <_< Im wiped out!

Let me know what you think!

Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Aweosme paint job, looks alot better on the Flankcat (You said FLANKer influences on a tomCAT) than in that illustration. Looks really cool.

It looks as if there's now room to put in a weapons bay for four Pheonix missiles/2000lb LGB's, or you can drill hundreds of dimples and get the look of Luftwaffe anti-runway dispensers. Either way, your 'starfighter' effect could be enhanced if you fabricate some vernier packs or integrated thrusters for the nose and back of the engine nacells, add a couple rocket booster pods, some podded weapons launchers... Sorry for geting carried away-ohh, just got an idea for my next build.

Anyway, Great job, keep it up!

Edited by sv51macross

Ha! well Flankercat makes sense. I was thinking its NATO code name would be FLEETSTAR. And i was thinking of making that box an anti runway dispenser, you read my mind! like a kind of Russian Tornado...Also Keen observers may notice the big armor slabs under the cockpit rail (based off the single slabs on the Flogger) i added them after i decided to do the green scheme, seeing as ground attack was more plausible for that camo.

Ben

Yeah, the Tomcat to me seems to be a Tornado on steroids; its not to manuverable, its extremely fast at all altitudes, and can carry 8000lbs of mud moving high-explosive (but a triple launcher of AGM-65's on the glove pylon would be cool)

Fleetstar is admittedly more appropriate a name for real-life, but it seems a bit flashy, unless you built a 1:32 Admiral Kuznetzov to have the Fleetstar launch off of (silence as the size of such a large model is appreciated)

Anyway, really cool bits and pieces you've added there, and the Taiidan Scout is a pretty cool...aircraft?

Oh, and for exhausts, just get some resin or plastic 1:32 Su-27 nozzles and milliput them to fit.

Edited by sv51macross