Has anyone here been keeping up with the latest Macross series titled "Macross Frontier"? Macross has been an old childhood acquaintance of mine and through the years I've been collecting the transformable VF- series from Yamato. The Yamato toys are very good, however they are not model kits. I think my last acquisition was the recently re-released YF-19 from Yamato. Now Yamato isn't making transformable Valks from this series as it's licensed to Bandai, and many folks have regarded their renditions of the Macross series as inferior to that of Yamato.

I have come across this page: http://ga.sbcr.jp/mreport/009935/ which has some shots of the new VF-25 transformable model kit. I have to say it's not all that bad considering Bandai's past endeavors with Macross, however I have not seen their transformable "toy" at this stage of production. Hopefully Bandai will improve and produce these VF-25 series in a comparable quality to Yamato.

Has anyone here been keeping up with the latest Macross series titled "Macross Frontier"? Macross has been an old childhood acquaintance of mine and through the years I've been collecting the transformable VF- series from Yamato. The Yamato toys are very good, however they are not model kits. I think my last acquisition was the recently re-released YF-19 from Yamato. Now Yamato isn't making transformable Valks from this series as it's licensed to Bandai, and many folks have regarded their renditions of the Macross series as inferior to that of Yamato.

I have come across this page: http://ga.sbcr.jp/mreport/009935/ which has some shots of the new VF-25 transformable model kit. I have to say it's not all that bad considering Bandai's past endeavors with Macross, however I have not seen their transformable "toy" at this stage of production. Hopefully Bandai will improve and produce these VF-25 series in a comparable quality to Yamato.

I'll probably pick one up. Bandai makes some pretty nice stuff. I too have the Yamato VF's but I wasn't as pleased with the -19 as I had hoped. Some of the joints are not solid after maybe 4 transformations. Could be interesting because in 72nd, it ain't gonna be big. Have to see how durability plays into it. Looking forward to the Yamato YF-21 though!

I've seen up to episode 6 so far... I'm with Benner, the story is little more than a rehash of the original Macross storyline (although I am told that was their intent from the get-go) with the standard anime flavor-of-the-day thrown in: angsty teenage boy (Who rarely talks, and looks a little TOO feminine for his own good) who has never TOUCHED a variable aircraft (let alone flown one, or operated one throughout the dynamic modes a valkyrie offers) is suddenly a far better pilot than ANYONE in the UN Spacy. He doesn't understand why they fight, but he'll be damned if he won't shoot the heck out of everything whilst trying to find reason in some high-end philosophical motive...)

It's got some SICK animation, and the VF-25 design is hotter than Kim Catrall naked (which is to say, "pretty damn hot"... I should know. :whistle:), but the storyline blows chunks.

*WHY* do they always insist on portraying the regular valkyrie pilots in the UN Spacy as incompetent retards who can neither think nor fight worth a darn (they've been guilty of this in pretty much every macross series but the original, where canon fodder pilots killed as often as they were killed). One would think that you'd need some pretty serious schooling to obtain the honor of being assigned to a variable fighter squadron and ergo would be of quick wit... I guess not.

Edited by Skull Leader

I´ve seen the first episode today......and well it feels familiar somehow... boy who does aerobatics, small girl that almost gets smashed by a big nasty robot... areobatics kid find a varitech and goes off guns blazing!

Is it supposed to be a remake of macross? :thumbsup:

Great fighting scenes and it´s beautifully animated.......but I´ve seen it before somewhere.

Not really up to the same standards as Macross 0 and Macross +

I think the problem with it is that it tries too hard to be an homage to the original. The first episode scene with Ranka almost getting squished was almost the Hikaru/Minmei meeting lifted clean, and of course Ranka winning the talent competition was a replay of Minmei winning Miss Macross. Also, I don't think it's really been established why the Frontier fleet needs a PMC on board at all - what do they have/do that the regular military doesn't/can't, and why? There are also design elements that annoy me. The original series was very stark and realistic. Frontier can be gimmicky - over the top costumes/personalities/hair that seems really out of place in a Macross series. The original was also definitely something played in a minor key - it had a sad and serious tone to it that I liked. Frontier is a little too happy and jokey for me; although I grant that there's plenty of time for that to change.

That said, it's beautifully animated with the best mech designs since the original, has good music, and certainly has engaged me enough to keep watching. It and Kamen no Maid Guy are at the top of my list for this season.

Yeah, M0 and M+ are still way up there. My Yamato VF-11's hip ball joint has completely broken off after one too many transformations. :thumbsup:

If this were macrossworld.com, I would be beating you senseless for this statement :rolleyes: (we used to go roundnroundnroundnroundnround about the god-cursed ball-joints on Yamato's original release of the VF-11. The re-release with the FAST packs solved this problem)

I´ve seen the first episode today......and well it feels familiar somehow... boy who does aerobatics, small girl that almost gets smashed by a big nasty robot... areobatics kid find a varitech and goes off guns blazing!

Is it supposed to be a remake of macross? :thumbsup:

Great fighting scenes and it´s beautifully animated.......but I´ve seen it before somewhere.

Not really up to the same standards as Macross 0 and Macross +

Shoji Kawamori has said on occasion that in some ways, he is re-visiting his original storylines in this new series. Take that for whatever you think it is worth, lol.

Bah, screw it... BRING ON THE VALKYRIES!!!

-Jeremy

(who even found cause to love Macross 7 and it's derivatives)

Shoji Kawamori has said on occasion that in some ways, he is re-visiting his original storylines in this new series. Take that for whatever you think it is worth, lol.

Bah, screw it... BRING ON THE VALKYRIES!!!

-Jeremy

(who even found cause to love Macross 7 and it's derivatives)

In other words....he´s to lazy to come up with a new script :deadhorse1:

Well I´ve seen 9 episodes now and well it kinda grows on you.......or maybe I´m just starved of good mecha anime

Cheers!

I'm already liking this series better than most of the newer gundam series, maybe it's the nostalgia part that I think this series does right in comparison to these new gundam series(they tried but it just didn't come out right, and was quite far off from the classic gundam I know of.)

If this were macrossworld.com, I would be beating you senseless for this statement :) (we used to go roundnroundnroundnroundnround about the god-cursed ball-joints on Yamato's original release of the VF-11. The re-release with the FAST packs solved this problem)

If this were macrossworld we'd be making jokes about toys vs. models :)

It may be somewhat cheesy, but the subplots are very good to pay attention to, such as Ranka's unrequited infatuation with Alto and the resultant angst, or the forcibly held-back feelings between Mikhail and Klan (how the heck will they work that out?)