Badger 155-7 set

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying an airbrush and I got my I on the badger 155-7 set.

:wacko:

I know nothing about airbrushing and would like to have some advice.

Is this a good set? What kind of compressor should I buy?

:D

Thanks for your help.

Roger

Roger-

My advice is always this: if you have an opportunity to try out a couple of different airbrushes before buying, by all means do so. Buying an airbrush (or suggesting one for that matter) is very subjective, and what works great for one person might not work well at all for another.

For example, Badger produces a number of high-quality airbrushes, but for the life of me, I've never had much luck with them. Along the same lines, I've had consistently good results from my Aztek, which other people will tell you is the bane of their existence.

It all comes down to personal preference, as well as a few other factors (paint mixing ratios, air sources, etc.). I'm sure that the 155 is a high quality airbrush, but you'll get to know even more about it if you get the opportunity to try before you buy.

Equally as important as the airbrush is the air source itself. It's really deserving of as much thought as the airbrush itself. My personal recommendation is to invest about $100, and pick up either a good tank compressor, or contact a local welding spply house and get yourself a nitrogen tank setup. It should only need to be re-filled every few months, and you won't need a moisture trap, as nitrogen is completely 'dry'.

Oh, BTW, this is what I mean by a tank compressor, just in case you're not familiar with them. This one is very similar to mine, and retails for about $187.00, but it's also capable of inflating tires, running nailguns, torque wrenches, impact hammers, and large spray guns, so you can always tell the missus that you need it for home improvement projects as well. You can also get smaller ones than this, but this is just to give you a general idea:

comp_FP2206_400x293.gif

HTH! :wacko:

You can use something that big for an airbrush?

My setup was thrown together over the course of a couple months and it works great for me.

We had an old smaller compressor, which had an airfilter added to it when we bought it from an old hobby shop years ago, then we added a long thick air hose to regulate the pulsing, then hooked that up to a regulator, then to a badger air hose, with home-built moisture trap. We also added in a foot switch.

You can use something that big for an airbrush?

Sure! That's the nice thing about the regulator -I can set the air pressure as low as I want. In fact, many times when I post shade with inks or thinned artist's oils, I set the pressure down to around 8PSI. It's a very versatile compressor, and as I was saying, it's very handy to have around to run standard air tools as well. :wacko:

Thanks for the great advice guys.

I wish I could try some airbrushes, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to buy something online, since there aren't any stores in my area.

THanks again!

:wacko: