Most accurate 1:48 P-51C?

I am building the Tamiya P-51B now and it is great! The only additions I have done is replace the paper drop tanks with True Details ones and the tires with the same. Otherwise it is an easy build!

I'm curious about the replacement parts. Are the tanks and tires different from what the kit provides?

The Tamiya kit has a few bugs starting with the cuffs on the prop blades. Nothing you can't fix in 10 minutes of sanding. The cockpit floor is also incorrect for a B/C. For whatever reason it has the curved floor of the A model, which would make sene if Tamiya had ever produced an A.

IMHO, the old Monogram kit has the best wheels of any of the Mustang kits. I'll pick them up when I can just for the wheels. With the 2 piece hubs it very easy to open the spokes and have hollow wheels.

Well, I picked up two Tamiya kits (at a very low cost) and a some aftermarket parts. Thanks everyone for your help.

You might be suprized a little when you see the finished results, and I'm not talking about something from Fantasy land, but here is a hint... I got two kits and enough resin for only one plane. ;)

Custom decals are on the way, paint is ready... just about finished with my fist P-51D let me say those Tamiya kits ARE VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

One thing I could not find was a PE kit from Edaurd for the P-51B or C. Is there one?

Thanks again guys! B)

One thing I could not find was a PE kit from Edaurd for the P-51B or C. Is there one?

Eduard makes 48199 plain photoetch set, 49219 combined plain and color photoetch and FE219 just color photoetch for the Tamiya P-51B/C. Sprue Brothers had 49219 but it is currently sold out. Same at Squadron, but they do have the other two available:

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EU48199

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EU4219

Edited by David Walker

Another thing about the Tamiya P-51 kits...is the paper tanks they give you with the kit fit together like crap and I haven't been able to find good resin replacements...the True Details ones I got where pretty crappy moldings.

The malcolm hood was a British modification for the most part P-51B/C in China,Italy and US training units did not use them ,I have not seen any photo's that is....

Rick

Conversely, not all RAF Mustang IIIs had them; British-based ones did afaik, but certainly 112 Sqn in Italy used Mk IIIs with the standard hood.