172 Airliner Kits?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in the following injection molded kits?

• 737-200
    • 737-300/400/500
    • 737NG
    • DC-9
    • MD-8x Series
    • A318-321 Series
    • Canadair/Bombardier RJ Series
    • 727-100/200

I voted for the 727, still the best looking passenger jet ever designed. My first flight was on an American Airlines -100 out of Chicago's Midway Airport way back when the city was trying to bring that airport back from the dead. The mayor talked United and American into selling 30 min. sightseeing flights for $7.95. I'll never forget the takeoff. The plane was full but had no luggage or cargo and was light on fuel. As soon as we turned onto the active, the pilot firewalled it and we screamed down the runway. After a very short time, he must have just pulled the yoke all the way back because we leapt off the ground at the steepest angle possible and were cruising around at a few thousand feet in no time. Best flight I have ever been on.

^

Weren't these coming from Aurora?

I'd say the whole Boeing line but as I have to chose, the 727 it is. I also would love to see a 757. Would do it as the flashy American West 'City of tucson'. 727 would end up in a Sabena livery :nanner:

And if I only could lay my hands on a 747SP injection molded... that would be great. Pan Am N533PA 'Clipper New Horizons' would be the subject...

I've been waiting since 1999 for the promised Model Craft Canada 1/48 Twotter. The guy told me at the RCHTA show in Chicago that year that the tooling was basically done, and the kit would be out in a few months. Let's see, that was nine years ago....

J

Unfortunately, the 1/48 kit did come out, and it was a real disappointment. Pretty much an over-priced snap-together desk-top kit. I'm still tempted to get one, but I'm more of an assembler than a modeler and don't want to put that much work into getting a nice looking twotter. :thumbsup:

Don't Welsh do it? Their normal Vac E-145 with some resin bits stuck on? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Yes, I just got my hands on the Welsh kit (no parts for the R-99 though). It's nice, but an injection kit would be better...

RVHP just announced/released a line of EMB-145 kits, to include the R-99A/B. I may have to get one of those, but it will be awhile- Over $200 USD!

Edited by Ed Nirel
  • 3 weeks later...
You guys are aware that long ago there were, nice, not great, injection molded 1:72 DC-9-15's and 737-100's out of the Monogram house?

Unless, that is, you know *anything* whatever about the real 737. Then you realize what an utter POS the old Aurora kit really is. The DC-9 is better, but still not far above a solid 'travel agent' type model.

Hence my original question...

J

• 2 weeks later...
99.99 pounds sterling.... = $198.63 US

truly a "meteoric" price.

(Sorry....it was too easy)

BUt seriously, what's the quality of that resin jobber like? Are there any reviews/photos?

As luck would have it, I took this today. The little one is a Gemini 1/400 C1K for scale!

magvc102.jpg

Not a bad kit at all. The surface detail is nicely done, although as you'd expect a fair bit of tidying up will be required. :salute: Shame it only comes with "historic" decals too of C1K XV103 of 10 Sqn vintage. Thankfully 1/72 decals of a "modern" 101Sqn C1K of 101 Sqn are available, along with a photo-etch kit of aerials and strakes etc.

Edited by Funbus10
As luck would have it, I took this today. The little one is a Gemini 1/400 C1K for scale!

magvc102.jpg

Not a bad kit at all. The surface detail is nicely done, although as you'd expect a fair bit of tidying up will be required. :thumbsup: Shame it only comes with "historic" decals too of C1K XV103 of 10 Sqn vintage. Thankfully 1/72 decals of a "modern" 101Sqn C1K of 101 Sqn are available, along with a photo-etch kit of aerials and strakes etc.

I would love the Magna VC.10. I just wish it was cheaper. Maybe some brilliant person will come out with a 1/72 injection airliner company.... I'm saving up for AIM's 747 or whatever else they produce.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jennings,

I would like to cast a vote for a 1/144th 727-100/200 series. Mainly because of all the markings options.

What sort of assurances do you have that an Eastern European manufacturer wont my mamma hates me up the fuselage like Minicraft did? i remember your frustration.

i know it sounds crazy to ask for it, but i'd love to see a nice 720 as well.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Jennings,

I would like to cast a vote for a 1/144th 727-100/200 series. Mainly because of all the markings options.

What sort of assurances do you have that an Eastern European manufacturer wont my mamma hates me up the fuselage like Minicraft did? i remember your frustration.

i know it sounds crazy to ask for it, but i'd love to see a nice 720 as well.

Cheers,

Dave

http://www.flyingfishmodels.de/727_e.html

Check it out!

Cool, eh?

Hi Jennings,

Cheers,

Dave

I don't understand where this "my momma hates me" comment came from. This certainly is not what i orginally posted. To be honest, it's freaking me out a little.

Aside from that i stand by my comments.

dave

• 3 months later...

Even though my plans for airliners are all in 1/144 at this point, I clicked every one of those, not only because I'd like to have the option to go big, buut because when I build a model as a gift I often do it in a bigger scale than I would for a model I was keeping.

I'll also echo the call for a good Dash 8...I could build a million of those in 1/144 and 1/72 birds would make great gifts for non-modelers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my wish list: ( all in 1/72 )

VC-10 ( properly done )

Britannia

Viscount ( properly done )

Short 330

Short 360

Twin Otter

Jetstream 31/41

Jetstream 61/ ATP

HS748