1/200 Boeing 747-400 *FINISHED*

Frank,

it looks very cool! But, I'm not sure about the reg you put on the model. PH-BFJ never existed and I miss a name on the nose.. :woot.gif:

Maybe it's a cool idea to put lights in one of your mirror-displays? Maybe the reflecting part inside the fuselage will diffuse the light of some single LEDs through the whole fuselage :wub:

Thanks Gregg, Roger, and Jelle... :)

Gregg: I wanted to make this one more dramatic than the 1/300th dio (a lot lower), so the techniques picked up since setting it aside will come in handy now.

Roger: Cool, what Aurora kit will you be using?

Jelle: I should have referenced that number before sticking it on there, but I went through my decal stash and was able to come up with PH-BFK, and pieced together some letters to make "Karachi" on the nose! I've been tooling around with Lighting ideas as well, particularly a half plane sitting in the maintenence hanger with mirrors on both each side wall, which will look like at least three aircraft; personnel working, etc.

I got the wing attached and cleaned up, but too pooped to get into the landing gears tonight...

klm3.jpg

klm4.jpg

klm5.jpg

Take care,

Frank

KLM has this weird thing about models/licensing. Half the time they demand "fake" planes, with a "J" registry. If you look, "J" is missing from the fleet. The 747 has no BFJ nor BUJ, the MD-11 has no KCJ, they seem to actually "reserve" a space for a non-existent registration. Thus, Hasegawa had to use a "J" registry with no name.

Apparently it's so that if one ever crashes, there's no model of it. But that policy doesn't work, as lots of other times they allow the exact registry/name.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Thanks David and Roger... :woot.gif:

David: it is indeed an interesting saga about the tail numbers, I'm guessing they had this numbering method in place before the awful tragedy at Tenerife?

Roger: Yes, modeling the ones I have has led me to become a 747 fan! :) There's currently ten halves in the stash, awaiting their turn! :P

Update... spent most of today scratching new main landing gears, as the kit pieces are way too thick. I retained the top part which attaches to the plane and added stretched sprue parts below that except the axels. Here they are after the main construction and dry fitted on the plane:

klm6.jpg

klm7.jpg

More to come....

Frank

Edited by oldHooker

Another Fabulous one, Frank ! :wub:

The illusion is very convincing yet again ... :coolio:

I love the people watching the "Aluminum Overcast" overhead ... :banana:

Nice work with the beach and water too ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Thanks John, Roger, Adriano, and Gregg.... :wave:

The build just scooted right along until time to put it on the mirror, when one of the support bolts broke loose, so I had to revert back to making a couple of plastic disc and mount it with wire. Took an extra day but it came out well... gonna rest up a bit before doing the BOAC plane as this was the second build is as many months, which is lightspeed for me!

Take care,

Frank

It came out looking really cool! But man.. that plane is flying REALLY low ;) Usually there's still 5 metres or so left between people's heads and the plane's wheels.. but I heard stories of aircraft that almost took the fence with their gears so it's still realistic. I really have to visit St. Maarten once in my life!

Thanks Jelle.... :cheers:

It's position was modeled after that photo of PH-BFG where the by standers sank by the fence to Avoid being chipped out onto the runway by the tires!

Yes, I too would love to vacation at St. Maarten at some point; it's only a three hour flight from here, and the first time US Airways runs one of its specials, I and the wife are on our way!

Take care,

Frank