"Raiders" Flying wing?

Figure this is the best place for this question - although it could be in "props" also, I guess.

I seem to remember an FSM article about an Indiana Jones German flying wing - from the original (and best) - Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I've been to Disneyland and Disney World (no, not just to look for a kit, but while there. . .) and no one seems to remember anything about it - but most people working there weren't born yet when Raiders came out.

Does anyone remember a kit or something that could be made into a respectable flying wing?

The new movie has me jonesin' for something.

:thumbsup: (sorry about that last pun)

There was a toy of the Flying Wing and it was sold at Universal Studios in Orlando. I have seen it and with a bit of work it can be made into a decent model of the plane. Finding one in a decent price range however is probably on par with locating the Lost Ark Of The Covenant.

Figure this is the best place for this question - although it could be in "props" also, I guess.

I seem to remember an FSM article about an Indiana Jones German flying wing - from the original (and best) - Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I've been to Disneyland and Disney World (no, not just to look for a kit, but while there. . .) and no one seems to remember anything about it - but most people working there weren't born yet when Raiders came out.

Does anyone remember a kit or something that could be made into a respectable flying wing?

:worship: (sorry about that last pun)

The FSM article was the Sept 2003 issue. It says in one place he got it from "Disney Direct", but the sources later on says "Disneyland Delivers" - ordered by calling 800-362-4533. The article does not provide a product ID and only the name (Indiana Jones Micro Action Airplane as posted earlier)

A later issue also said that Disney sold out of the planes a few weeks after the issue came out.

Hope it helps,

Fred

It's a knock-off Horten, isn't it? With pusher props and a turret and a bit of time warping :P Not sure about models of the earlier Hortens, there are certainly (Dragon, Revell) kits of the Ho IX/ Go 229 about...

Patrick

It's a knock-off Horten, isn't it? With pusher props and a turret and a bit of time warping :) Not sure about models of the earlier Hortens, there are certainly (Dragon, Revell) kits of the Ho IX/ Go 229 about...

Patrick

Not really.

The Horten's were late war jets. The Indy plane was actually an early war prop prototype (Blohm & Voss BV-38) that neither made it into production or service. The particular plane in the movie was built by in England by Vickers for Spielberg. IIRC

FYI, I'm going to go for the Disney thingy on e-bay. It matches the one in the FSM article. Seems like a good starting point.

Be nice, all, and don't bid me up. Please? :thumbsup:

Harold

Edited by prowler4
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up and conclusion:

I did find one of the Disney versions on evil-bay for $25 (buy it now).

Came today. Looks to be about 72nd scale (not 48 as in the FSM article).

With a new paint job and some gizmology (guns and fixing up the landing gear), it should come out pretty decent.

At least it'll be something unique in the display case.

FSM did a rebuild article of the Flying Wing some time back, probably about 10 years ago now. The writer/builder used Ceramcoat paints to repaint the toy.

:rolleyes:

MikeJ