Finally making some progress, but it has been slow due to the temps outside hitting the upper 90's. This makes it rather uncomfortable in the hobby shop room and painting all but ugly. Being that my skills are way out of practice, as the pics soon to be posted will show, I have struggled out of the gate on the project, as the temps ease and my time opens up a bit progress should pick up.

The work being done in this GB is amazing. What a wonderful hobby to have returned too and I am enjoying being part of this GB community.

"lets see some pic's"

Okay, here are we go. Only second time really using photo etch in a project. Not the easiest stuff to work with but it does a nice job of getting some fine details. Quite a bit of artistic license here folks. A very dirty and worn pit is what I am going after and after I button her up you won't see all that much detail except through her windows. I think it looks okay, I'm still new at all these techniques.

P1010965.jpg

P1010966.jpg

P1010967.jpg

P1010968.jpg

Okay, got a few other things done.

1. Cockpit mounted to fuselage side A and added a few more bits so there is something to breakup the view through the door.

P1010980.jpg

P1010981.jpg

2. Speaking of the door, it's open and '66' had the front fore window filled in, so the process has started there.

P1010979.jpg

P1010982.jpg

work continues.... thanks for the inspiration guys...

A very dirty and worn pit is what I am going after and after I button her up you won't see all that much detail except through her windows. I think it looks okay, I'm still new at all these techniques.

I wouldn't have guessed that at all. Your work looks fantastic!

Edited by David Walker

Here is some of the progress I made over the weekend guys.

P1010984.jpg

Body work together with the engine components coming online. :thumbsup:

P1010985.jpg

I had all these PE vents and ducts and I decided to bore out the plastic instead of just laying the PE on top. I guess I don't really have the right tools and the close up pictures really show how ragged the ports look.

P1010986.jpg

Hopefully after it's primed, painted, washed, and weathered it will hide some of the 'ugliness' of my heavy hands. <smirk>

P1010987.jpg

A little further up front, tough to get all the vents open enough, again, I think she will look just fine after all the weathering.

P1010988.jpg

Here is the back port, hard to see, but drilled out that vent and PE screen across the spine tuck under there.

P1010989.jpg

A little closer look. LOOK at that very ugly gap that HAS to be smoothed over into a nice arched blended curve across the spine. I am not happy at all with my puttied window!!! I'm afraid it is going to look like crap and the paint is going make it look worse! I need to find to a way to do this better in the future!

P1010990.jpg

Finally, despite all the PE used, still have a ton more to go. Also, you can see the resin replacements.

I think you are doing a great job - don't get discouraged. As to the window putty. Sand it down a bit, thenlay on another coat of putty. Let it dry, sand it down again then shoot a bit of primer over it to see if you need any more touch up. The only other way to do something like that is to add a plastic plug that fills the bulk of the open space, then putty around the edges of that seam.

Edited by 53 Marine
I am not happy at all with my puttied window!!! I'm afraid it is going to look like crap and the paint is going make it look worse! I need to find to a way to do this better in the future!

Hi

You can use CA glue which is acting as a putty and drying quicker. Typically a fine layer of CA glue can be sanded after half an hour.

Patrick

what the two fellows above me said. looks very good to this point. the windows are always a tricky area for me as well. just take your time and be patient(this is what always kills it for me).i usually use either CA glue or if it's a small gap i use white glue and smooth it out with a q-tip and water. this cuts sanding down.

semper fi

Dan

Here is the next update guys. This weekend I primarily spent time away from the main fuselage other then fitting the bottom to it. I worked on all the bits instead.

P1010992.jpg

Here is the tail boom with it's PE in place and primed. I have a few spots still to fix on it though.

P1010993.jpg

The PE top of the door and the wrench motor primed. I tried to fit some wire cables to the wrench body, but it is so small, I couldn't get the look I wanted so still debating.

P1010994.jpg

The bottom of the PE door. This was a small model by itself and really tested my new PE skills. This is a lot different then adding a little bit of a cockpit hud.

P1010995.jpg

One gear down and one to go. All the PE in place again. They really small compared to jets 1/48th gear systems. Not sure if I will had hydraulic lines or not. Again debating.

P1010996.jpg

Tail Rotor primed and ready for paint.

P1010997-1.jpg

The new resin sponsons with the kit attachment pieces in place. Primed with a few spots to sand out yet.

P1010998.jpg

Finally for now, a shot of the cockpit glass in place. Taped up and covered in masking agent to get a spray down as soon as I finish up the bodywork and glue it in place. I still have a few PE bits to put inside of it before I glue it in place.

Thanks for watching...

Jeff that's looking great...I have always loved that kit , but alas have yet to see one through to completion myself; the one I have tried the fit where the fuselage and lower hull met drove me to tears and I shelved it. Now that the Sprue brothers SH-3 sheet has one of the squadrons I have always wanted to do (HS-3) I may have to give it another shot in the future. Looking forward to your next installment.

Chuck