nice tutorial harold! i have no idea how you can remember all this after so many years! i can't remember alot of this stuff until you start mentioning it then that little light bulb goes off in my head. great work on those blades!

Happy fathers day by the way!

semper fi

Dan

Thanks Dan... not too hard to remember these things when you have an upper lock pin fail during flight - you will never forget things with that kind of experience.

Happy fathers day to you also (and anyone else who is a dad out there) My gift today was my daughter making me lunch and getting to talk to my son from Iraq.

Lock Pins.

I already showed you the "fold side" of the blade fold, now here are some details of the "Lock Pin side" of the fold. I have added the outer lock plates, the pin cylinders and pin cylinder brace to the rotor head (the following pictures just show the details of the first one, and some work in progress on the next)

P6190003.jpg

P6190006.jpg

P6190010.jpg

Next up - I will start to add the small hydraulic lines, then the main hydraulic lines and the blade wiring harness.

Thanks for all of the nice comments guys.

I just finished adding all of the lock pins and now I am adding the blade wiring harness to each blade. I hope to get some of the plumbing done today also - pics a little later tonight.

Ok, as promised, I finished installing the blade harness and primary hydraulics to each blade.

Blade Harness

BladeHarness.jpg

Primary Hydraulics

PrimaryHydraulic.jpg

Next up - secondary hydraulic lines, then I can start painting the rotor head assembly. After I am done with the painting, then I will add the clear inspection window on the top center of the Rotor Head fairing.

Thanks guys. I should have the secondary hydraulics done by tomorrow night depending upon how much time my grand daughter demands of me (she is the priority and as long as she does not wear me out so that I have to take a nap when she does - then I can probably get most of it done then.)

Grandkids notwithstanding, where are our pics? :salute:

mason

She wore me out - when nap time came around - I was sound asleep next to her. Not sure who is more cranky if they don't get their nap = her or me.

I have been digging through some old pics (looking for some 53 pics that have not been scanned yet) and ran across a few old ones of me and some of my "glory days" I will have to post those along with a few pics of my grand daughter in another thread later on.

As to the rotor head - I have managed to get half of the secondary hydraulic lines completed. I should have pics up tomorrow along with some of the initial painting on the rotor head. I am also working on wiring harnesses for the cockpit and cabin. Had to build a few jigs to make them, but I am happy - will get pics of that whole process up soon too.

Finished adding the secondary Hyraulic Lines. Did not get as much done as I had hoped - had to attend a meeting today in order to get some more planning done for our club show in July.

SecondaryHydraulics.jpg

Thanks for the commentary everyone. Glad you are going to be able to get some of projects in work when you are done with your time commitment, looking forward to seeng what you will be doing.

Ok, with the rotor head basically done I have moved on to the Tail Pylon area. (Yes, later on I will show a pic of the painted rotor head)

As you recall, the Tail Pylon has been removed from the main fuselage so that I can fold the tail. Today, I cut out the additional area's around the Tail Rotor Drive Shaft Fairings. These will be covered by mesh screens, w/ evergreen trim.

Tail1.jpg

Tail2.jpg

Then I started to construct the Tail Gear Box. I started with sheets of evergreen glued together, then I shaped it in profile. When that was done, I glued really small evergreen rods around the exterior to represent the machining found on these gearboxes.

TailGearBox1.jpg

When that was complete, I added a drive shaft to the top of the gear box, then notched out one of the evergreen strips I added so that I would have a place to install the chip detector onto the gearbox.

TailGearBox2.jpg

I then mounted supports inside each half of the tail pylon to support the gearbox, added a wiring harness to the chip detector, then I mounted the entire subassembly onto the tail pylon. Finally I glued the two pylon pieces together after I was sure I had the correct position of the gearbox.

TailGearBox3.jpg

Next up - adding a few wires and goodies into the opening's made around the tail drive shaft fairing, an upper rotator beacon, the mesh around all openings and adding the bulkhead to the front part of the pylon where the fold is.