Australian Super Hornet

Nice Hornet Andrew, looks great mate! :pray:

Thanks mate, yep, the Hornet model in my sig is mine, you probably saw it when i built it and posted it on AMI, but here's a couple of pics again.

RIMG0030.jpg

RIMG0038.jpg

RIMG0078.jpg

RIMG0107.jpg

Yes, i saw the Super Hornet Demo at Avalon last year and it was Awesome!

Cheers,

Jeff.

Jeff,

Ah that's right! Beautiful build. You'll need to email it into David Harvey at AMI at some stage to have him put it in the ADF Model gallery under the Hornet section. ;)

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Jason,

Did you happen to notice the intake bungs? Hard to pick up initially.

Regards

Andrew

Crap,

I just noticed them now when you made your post.. Now I want this model... I really do... I want it now.

Love your work even more now.

Awesome stuff Andy :pray: ;) :thumbsup:

Can't tell you how many conversion flights the RAAF does from one model to another due to the way we do things over here. A F111 pilot I know has just instructed on a conversion course and this went for three to five weeks but I think it included combat training (both day and night). And remember our F111s are now digital/wireless from the AUP upgrade.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew, 3-5 weeks is the final phase of the course only. The full F-111 course is 6 months long, with an additional six months of operational upgrade training if that concept is still being followed. So a C Cat pilot only graduates after 12 months. The 6 flights reference for Super Hornets relates to conversion from a legacy Hornet. A full conversion will probably in all likelihood take 6 months as per the current Hornet, broken down into a general handling phase, air to air application phase and then an air to ground application phase.

Andrew, 3-5 weeks is the final phase of the course only. The full F-111 course is 6 months long, with an additional six months of operational upgrade training if that concept is still being followed. So a C Cat pilot only graduates after 12 months. The 6 flights reference for Super Hornets relates to conversion from a legacy Hornet. A full conversion will probably in all likelihood take 6 months as per the current Hornet, broken down into a general handling phase, air to air application phase and then an air to ground application phase.

Well you learn something new every day. Thanks Biggles. I didn't think it would be an easy conversion as previously mentioned in someone's earlier post.

Cheers :P

Andrew

I have somewhat of a curse when it comes to Australian Hornets.

A few years back I built the Academy 1/32 C, and stood on the canopy and split it down the middle. And so has had a split canopy since it was finished. I am now working on my 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18F 6 Sqn RAAF Amberley bird, and split the canopy. Go figure.. I would show them other than the fact the canopy makes them look like crap..

Chris

Wow Gambler, brilliant work there. Is it 1/48? I usually work 1/144 and 1/100 so bigger scales are tough to identify. ;)

And word on the street from last week is three years of Super Hornet tyres turned up at Amberley. Now they're trying to find what to do with them for 18 months...

First aircrew and groundcrew head over in Nov, right?

Sorry Guys,

What i ment it was 6 flights from a legacy hornet flyer to become prof in being able to fly the super bug, but i forgot about we have to train former F-111 crews, so it would take about 6 months for them to be able them to be deployed operationaly

Brendon

Seeing as we're sharing out RAAF bugs I thought I'd post mine. 75sqn, Operation Falconer. The model is 1/144th scale by revell with extra bits and bobs.

IMGP7493.jpg

IMGP7476.jpg

IMGP7502.jpg

IMGP7503.jpg

Really love this thread, there's some great info in it.

Chris

Noice one Chris. Don't you hate the fact that they recess the panel lines so deep. just built a 1/144 F15 with my 5 y/o daughter and was going to do the panel lines but questioned their depth. Don't get me wrong that 'little' Hornet looks great.

regards

Andrew

Sorry Guys,

What i ment it was 6 flights from a legacy hornet flyer to become prof in being able to fly the super bug, but i forgot about we have to train former F-111 crews, so it would take about 6 months for them to be able them to be deployed operationaly

Brendon

I'd say the pig pilots would have already spent a lot of time in the Hornet, and for that matter in the US with the Super. So I don't think they will worry too much about the change over. In fact, I am sure they are happy to be getting some new toys to play with..

Chris

I'm fairly certain that there will be more than enough pilots to man the first group of SH's that head south. Infact, I wouldnt be suprised if the first Aussie legacy drivers arent at Lemoore or Oceana by the end of this year, if not sooner!

I'm fairly certain that there will be more than enough pilots to man the first group of SH's that head south. Infact, I wouldnt be suprised if the first Aussie legacy drivers arent at Lemoore or Oceana by the end of this year, if not sooner!

I think that there are 2 pilots ( Instructors ? ) over there atm flying with VFA 122, and a couple more going over soon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gregg

Im glad you like it, even thou its a whatif colour scheme, it took me ages to try and get it, the other side is a bit doggy thou

I took it from the colour scheme from our BAe Hawk LIF's

Brendon :thumbsup:

hey Chris

its the 1/72 scale Hasegawa Diamondbacks/ Bounty Hunters.

I was thinking about going with the black deacals from Hawkeye models F-111C with 1Sqn Markings

Brendon

Brendon, what ever you go with, I am sure you will do a great job.. Can't wait to see more!

Chris