The model is based on the High Planes 1/72 Mir IIIE / 5 / 50 kit #7249. While High Planes kits require a lot of work to get everything to fit, they are generally considered the most accurate 1/72 Mir IIIE / 5 / 50 series kits out there. They are well molded (once you clean up all the flash and trim the huge sprue gates) with fine recessed panel lines and very clear Vac-U-Form canopies. In recent years they started issuing the kits with resin cast intakes, a nice PE set for the antennas and such, a second canopy, and sometimes a resin nose for the appropriate variant.

mir5e203oy3.jpg

Modifications to the kit included replacing the kit resin nose with a scratch built one that was more accurate along with a scratch built pitot tube, adding the additional ‘bullet ‘ antennas on the vertical tail that the Egyptian 5E-2s have and the MS2 attack avionics system pod under the nose, Also replaced the kit exhaust nozzle. The ejection seat had a bit of detail added along with the ‘plumbing’ on the glare shield. Some side wall detail was added to the cockpit but after the pilot was added not much could be seen.

mir5e204ly7.jpg

Armament: Ever since I saw the unique Mirage drop tank / bombs combination at an air show long ago I have wanted to use them on a model; at first I was going to use drop tanks from the old Revell Mirage kit as it has the tanks / bombs combo but after doing further research and with help from the www modeling community (special thanks to Amaru) I came to the conclusion that the tanks were not the right length (too short) so after looking at various options I found the supersonic tanks that come in the Heller Mirage IIIE / R / 5BA kit work great needing only to reshape the profile of the nose and round off of the rear. Now that I had the tanks it was just the very tedious matter of scratch building 8 ejector mechanisms and adding 16 sway braces and getting everything all aligned up and in their proper place. Also wanted some A /A armament so a couple of R550s from a Hasegawa Mir F1 kit were used but they did need all the fins thinned down and I added clear seeker heads. The missile pylon and rails came from an AML Mir IIIC kit and the pylon was modified to fit the HP kit.

mir5e210ip0.jpg

Painting / Decals: Through the years I have ended up with 4 decal sheets that have Egyptian Mirage markings; MicroScale, Carpena, FCM, and the HP kit decals, and while the patterns themselves are close they all list different colors so I went with the TLAR system and came up with Model Masters FS34079, FS34127, and a modified FS20400 (added a touch of 36118) for the top and modified Russian Topside Blue (added white) for the bottom. Decals are mainly from the new FCM 7234 sheet with others from the above mentioned sheets.

mir5e201oi4.jpg

mir5e205wv0.jpg

Regards

Jim Barr

Very good looking kit!! Wonderful desert scheme as wel as a nice finish! B)

A very odd combo with bombs on the drop tanks....weird but maybe practical, what do I know :cheers:

Great build anyways :(

Cheers!

Really cool Mirage, great job on the paint! :bandhead2: The fuel-tank/MER is a really neat idea, haven't seen that before unless one may count the F-15E Again, nice jo, especially on the camo and I am so glad to see someone pose a jet in a dynamic flight pose!

• 2 weeks later...