How about a discussion to examine the best ways to finish the bare metal sections at the rear of the Phantom. I've been told Alclad is the best. What are some of the other metalizers that some of you have used?

As I prefer acrylics, I have tried a few things. My current method is a base coat of Tamiya Titanium Silver, with a dark metallic grey from Citadel Colour to vary the colours a bit, and Tamiya Gunmetal for the burnt bit under the rear fuselage.

There is no real 'correct' way, as each Phantom seems to be different.

I've just been painting my rear end (take that how you like :thumbsup: ) so I took some pics. Hope these are of help.

First is the Tamiya Titanium silver

tail7.jpg

Next is Citadel colours boltgun metal to give a bit of contrast.

tail8.jpg

Then Tamiya Gunmetal for the bottom area.

tail9.jpg

Finish it off with matt varnish.

Ted

I was very intimidated by all metalizers at first but finally just bit the bullet and tried Alclad. I'm very glad that I did! I used the aluminum as the base and their jet exhaust for the burned areas. That exhaust color is really great!

Results:

Exhaust2800x.jpg

Exhaust1800x.jpg

I am using Alcrad on my rear end! What makes this model better than any of the others I have done so far is to use the Tamiya weatherin set and use the "soot". I just rub it in with the little applicator, maybe throw in a little rust here and there to give it a brown hue and it seems to be the closest thing I have gotten yet. The real bonus for me is that unlike the Model Master Metalizer, the Alclad is very durable. You can mask over it, you can rub it, no finger prints, no chipping. But be sure to use the gloss black primer. I thought that it wouldn't matter, surprise! it does!

Another approach, which I'm quite pleased with...

What I've done is to spray the darker panels with Alclad black primer, then a coat of honey primer over the whole lot. I then sprayed (I think!!) Alclad polished aluminium over the top lightly enough for the black primer to show through... Just need to finish off by pencilling in the panel lines and rubbing some graphite into the bottom section...

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2036.jpg

F-4D%2066-7751%20-%20Chris%20St%20Clair%2037.jpg

Edited by UKPonchoMan
  • 2 weeks later...

The honey primer is almost like gloss varnish - so it gives a nice smooth coat for the alclad to stick to... But if you put some black panels under the honey coat, they show through the alclad as above... Minimal effort and saves loads of masking ;o)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the method I used on my F-4J:

I used MM burnt metal on the cans, then drybrushed some silver on them...

exhaust2tm9.jpg

...followed by a oil wash of heavilly thinned lamp black...

exhaust3za6.jpg

I used Alclad polished aluminum over a primer coat of Tamiya gloss black(decanted from the spray can) and then sprayed a mixture of Tamiya smoke and Tamiya brown over the "lines" to give a sooty look.

I also drybrushed some more silver over the burner cans after the wash.

Here was the final result:

exhaust4gy4.jpg

Hope this helps!

Best looking rear end I've seen yet. Very impressive.

Maybe you need to get out more often.... :woot.gif:

Seriously, geat looking tail on dat der bird!