Hi all

The next build is a replacement for a model that got severely damaged in a car accident last November. It is a Phantom FGR.2 from 1435 Flight based in the Falklands in 1992. It will have a white tail, and a standard Barley Grey colour scheme.

Progress so far.

xv461_01.jpg

xv461_02.jpg

I should be able to get the painting done today, so I will update after that.

I do like the Fujimi UK Phantoms, except the main landing gear always seems to be rather weak, and prone to breaking in transit to model shows.

Ted

Hi All

A further update

As I want to do a dirty aircraft, I thought of trying preshading which seems to be popular. The problem is, the normal type of preshading isn't the effect I am after, as I am trying to simulate dirty panels, rather than accentuate the panel lines. I had the idea of reversing the normal method by applying a coat of light grey (I used FS36495) and then spraying dark grey over that after masking the panel lines with blu-tac.

This is the result.

xv461_03.jpg

xv461_04.jpg

Once the paint has hardened a bit more, I will paint the normal colours over the top.

More to follow.

Ted

Indeed an interesting idea, preshading out of the ordinary.

I have the same kit in the stash, couldn't resist it when I came across it in a Japanese hobbyshop last year. Love the decalsheet (Cartograph :) ).

Hi all

I have now painted the greys over the pre-shading.The effect I was after is there, but very subtle on the top. I may play a bit more with this on a future build. I think it would suit the current Japanese compass grey scheme, as they are always dirty. It certainly shows better with the lighter colours.

xv461_05.jpg

xv461_06.jpg

xv461_07.jpg

Airite

I will be using the kit exhausts. I wasn't aware that Aires had Spey exhausts. I'll have to look out for them.

Thanks for the comments everyone, always appreciated.

Ted

What ho chaps

The old bus is coming along now. I have done the decals. Why do Phantoms have so many stencils?

There is some detail painting to do, then a quick squirt with the old matt and add the other bits.

i will then get it abit dirtier, should be spiffing, what.

xv461_08.jpg

xv461_09.jpg

One trusts that the bus is enjoyed by you chaps.

Top Hole

Ted

Hi All

I have finished this one now. The rest of the pics are in the finished entries section, but there is something about a Toom from this angle, so I thought I'd post this shot here as well.

xv461_10.jpg

Next one is going to be an F-4D from Diegos latest Phantom sheet. It will be 66-8802 TX from the 704th TFS, 924th TFG in the cloud grey scheme.

See you on the flip side.

Ted

gorgeous jet, what color did you use for the top? it looks a little darker than usual and i love it! The exhaust pipes really stand out, i love the different colored metal "rings" around them. i had never seen a Phalklands Phantom before and this is a knockout!

gorgeous jet, what color did you use for the top? it looks a little darker than usual and i love it! The exhaust pipes really stand out, i love the different colored metal "rings" around them. i had never seen a Phalklands Phantom before and this is a knockout!

It's the Lifecolor Barley Grey, but with a dark grey base as the pictures above. This was meant to give it a dirty look. In addition, the radome was painted black before coating with Medium Sea Grey.

Ted

It's the Lifecolor Barley Grey, but with a dark grey base as the pictures above. This was meant to give it a dirty look. In addition, the radome was painted black before coating with Medium Sea Grey.

Ted

That really makes a difference! thanks Ted

Ben