Chinese Stealth Fighter

Also, the aircraft designer in me has to point out that no engineer in his right mind would put an equipment bay that spans the chine edge like the forward most bay does. To not have some sort of major structural piece there along the edge is not only going to cause you problems for manufacturing but (more importantly) would be a structural integrity nightmare.

Yah, that intake is way too small for the size of the airframe and indicates an engine to small to power the thing.

Unless they have some sort of non-air breathing super-hyper-warp drive. Yah, yah I'm sure that's what it is. Now someone will tell me that the only reason I don't buy it is because I'm one of those non change-accepting American super patriotic, pro whatever types :doh:

Come on Pete! I know this is one of those big scratch build projects you're doing. I can tell! That's all sheet styrene bent and shaped to one of your blue prints.

I guess the key question is, can the Russians pull that off? If so then the Chinese can probably buy it from them.

The bulk of the subassembalies for the F-22 and JFS are, last I heard, being made in the PRC, as are many of the core processors. Consider where the Ram is likely being made, and where the boards are being built, now, ask yourself what the PRC can build.

I'm certainly not a Buchanan-ite, but in terms of defense it's awfully hard to souce products from secure fabs.

An F-16 flew with a JSF-type Diverterless Supersonic Inlet back in 1996.

That's the one! :)

<...>

The image in the original post is a concept of the so-called J-XX

2005093009525227536.jpg

<...>

That's actually a rather elegant design. Nice. :woot.gif:

That's actually a rather elegant design. Nice. :)

Yeah, many of them look cool. But if you go back and look at some of the concept art for the ATF and compare it to the F-22...

799px-ATF_concept_art.jpg

DoD_Grumman_ATF_DF-ST-87-12793.jpg

DoD_Lockheed_ATF_DF-ST-87-12789.jpg

DoD_McDonnell_Douglas_ATF_DF-ST-87-12791.jpg

Northrop

DoD_Rockwell_ATF_DF-ST-87-12787.jpg

DoD_GD_ATF_DF-ST-87-12792.jpg

...it'll be interesting to see what shape the J-XX takes.

What ever it is, it´s very good looking!!....Definitely looks like something that would do well in Yukikaze....................

Zacto....is that something worth doing a model of, would go well with the YF-23?

This came to me in my inbox. It supposedly is a new J series fighter. Don't know anything more about it or who took the photo, but the website is credited at the lower left.

Chinese_J-XX_stealth_fighter.jpg

It does not look like a mock-up as panels and weapons bays are open. From what I can see, it is a beautiful and quite advanced looking aircraft. Anyone know anything about it?

It looks like someone stepped on a model F-16, then glued canards and two stabilizers to it.

I would point out that prototype mock ups have weapons bays, avionics bays and equipment bays installed w/operating doors. They even get engines installed (real or mock ups). The idea is for the proposed or real buyers an idea of where everything will go/fit on the real airplane and to make recommendations for any desired changes.

Hi Trigger, everyone,

Actually, yes, there has been pictures of the so called J-XX Chinese stealth fighter project since a long while on the web and in print. Actually, the drawings show so many versions and shape that i stopped counting a long time ago. Whatever the J-XX is, it still is very clearly evolving. However, i would advise some caution. When the first pics of the J-10 fighter came out, everyone and every 'experts' shouted 'fake' and everyone called it (wrongly) a copy of the defunct Lavi, Israeli fighter-bomber.

In fact, the J-10 was already flying since a long time.. and when we started to see some good quality pictures of the grey-camouflaged J-10 `prototypes` during the last few recent years (which people at first were also calling 'fakes'...), the airplane was in fact already in full production and in service...

The Chinese have a very different way to release news of their new military aircrafts, and their method is to 'leak' pictures through their own controlled sources on the web, and not declare it officially in service, until they are 100% sure that the thing have got all its development technical problems sorted out (there is nothing as face loosing as unveiling a prototype and having it crash)(that`s why the crash of the early J-10 prototype was never shown and why they never officially presented the aircraft, until last year when the thing reached full squadrons strenght and operational status. Then what they did was put a long video of the airplane in service on the state Chinese tv network.

So, since the J-10 is already operational, and given the fact the Chinese want to have something similar to the F-22, you can bet that all the conceptual drawings you see here more than hint at the work being done right now. I remember i think i saw wind test tunnel models of that stealth fighter design of theirs, or various versions of it. They make no secret they want to be on par with the US in terms of technology, but how long will it take for them to actually make that thing reach operational status is everyone`s guess (the development of the J-10 was pretty long.. but so was that of the Rafale and of the F-22..). So i would say, don't hold your breath yet, but i would not be suprised if they were already building components. Or at least a full-scale mock-up or a pole model.

As for that picture of the airplane in the hangar: that`s a CGI drawing. Look at the floor also, that is pure CGI reflections.

So, that`s not the mock-up yet, but i have no doubt they are working on something.

Stephane.

Stratosphere Models.

Don't forget "unenlightened, knuckle-dragging neanderthal stick-monkey".

Actually, this is the J-10:

j10_1_large.jpg

Chengdu-J-10-Xinhua-0ES.jpg

j-10.jpg

The image in the original post is a concept of the so-called J-XX

2005093009525227536.jpg

jxx.jpg

jxx.jpg

JXX.jpg

Some 3-D models here

everyone called it (wrongly) a copy of the defunct Lavi, Israeli fighter-bomber.

Actually, that is very true. It's very well documented, and there has been official acknowledgement by China, Russia, and Israel that the J-10 does have roots in the Lavi, and that it borrows heavily from the Lavi program. Since the Lavi program was heavily funded by the US, the J-10 was effectively brought to fruition via US R&D funding.

Can an aircraft with canards be stealthy?

I'm asking a serious question because it would seem like when they pivot they would cast quite a signature.....much like when the bomb bay doors open on the F-117 or F-22.

Just makes sense.....because I surely don't have any first-hand knowledge of the subject.

I'm asking a serious question because it would seem like when they pivot they would cast quite a signature.....much like when the bomb bay doors open on the F-117 or F-22.

Just makes sense.....because I surely don't have any first-hand knowledge of the subject.

I don't know if canards would change the radar cross section any more than a normal tail surface.

I'm asking a serious question because it would seem like when they pivot they would cast quite a signature....<...>

On the other hand, would the large elevators of the F-22 or the ruddervators (is that a word?) of the F-117 increase the radar cross signature? And I think canards don't move all that much, unless in a dogfight at slow speeds.

Just my thoughts on the subject. :crying2:

On the other hand, would the large elevators of the F-22 or the ruddervators (is that a word?) of the F-117 increase the radar cross signature?

From the front, where the fuselage and wings block part or all view of said surfaces? Probably not so much

I'd say the wings are 50/50 YF-23 and MiG 1-44.

No. Delta does not have to be with a straight angle, like MiG-21. Yf-23 have i think it is called "diamond" wings (correct me if i am wrong) but MiG-1.44 wings are delta. Mirage 3, 4 and Rafale have almost same configuration, only smaller "back" angle.

rafale_2.jpg

No. Delta does not have to be with a straight angle, like MiG-21. Yf-23 have i think it is called "diamond" wings (correct me if i am wrong) but MiG-1.44 wings are delta. Mirage 3, 4 and Rafale have almost same configuration, only smaller "back" angle.

rafale_2.jpg

Ummm, that's why I said it's 50/50. That concept J-XX does have a slight diamond planform configuration, not as strong as the YF-23, but it was more angled from the fuselage the Rafale and the almost pure delta of the 1-44.

Ummm, that's why I said it's 50/50. That concept J-XX does have a slight diamond planform configuration, not as strong as the YF-23, but it was more angled from the fuselage the Rafale and the almost pure delta of the 1-44.

Well, on one wing angle seems to be minimal, almost Rafael. But on other wing, i agree, it is 50/50. Weird drawing. And does btw anyone have deffinition on how far angle in back have to go to be a diamond shaped configuration? :thumbsup:

So, i think on one wing it looks like Rafael wing, on other, 50/50.