WIP Blackhawk Photos, Comments welcome!

This is my 1/35 Blackhawk in it's second year of work. While the photos are slightly irrelevant as there has been some touchups and re-sculpting... I feel guilty at having not shown some of my work yet. The pilot, any soldiers and door gunner have recieved more attention recently in an effort for a more natural and realistic look. The end result will be a fast roping diorama under fire set somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan. I will post some more pics in the next couple of days just as soon as I master the process of camera-computer-ARC! :thumbsup:

Andy.

Close-upEmail.jpg[/img]UptheNose.jpg[/img]Firing.jpg[/img]

Here are some resized pics, sorry about the previous images... I am still learning the art of uploading my photographs. Practice will make perfect! :lol: Aside from the obvious inaccuracy that will be spotted, I have not used any additional kits or decals to achieve the current result. Call it pigheaded or a maxed out credit card, some of the great stuff from Cobra Co I would die for, but such is life! Still so much to do and will be posting more in the next couple of days. Please feel free to critique my work as it will always be a help... Does anyone know the colour of the fast rope? Brown, black ? bright pink???

Hope these pics are Ok!

Andy

Blackhawk010.jpg[/img]Blackhawk011.jpg[/img]Blackhawk018.jpg[/img]

She is looking awesome so far. Can't wait to see it with the rest of the dio. How are you planning on suspending the helo?

Fastropes are usually either black or dark green. Here are a couple pics:

newsphoto1998-05980517-F-0805C-021.jpg

mh-60-rangers.jpg

Only critique I have is watch out for seam lines. You can see the seam all the way down the refueling boom and step fairing, also some on the nose. Looks great otherwise though. Great job.

Edited by HeavyArty
She is looking awesome so far. Can't wait to see it with the rest of the dio. How are you planning on suspending the helo?

Fastropes are usually either black or dark green. Here are a couple pics:

newsphoto1998-05980517-F-0805C-021.jpg

mh-60-rangers.jpg

Only critique I have is watch out for seam lines. You can see the seam all the way down the refueling boom and step fairing, also some on the nose. Looks great otherwise though. Great job.

Thanks, I am actually in the process of trying to remove the visable seam lines, just gotta be careful. The photos really showed my inattention to detail there. If you don't mind telling me, the nose on your HH-60G has a beautiful finish, any tips?

As for the beast hovering, I plan on using a perspex rod for some degree of invisibility. This being the 5th attempt at something looking semi realistic, I have tried everything from iron coathangers to animal sacrifice. Hopfully the rod will do the job! I have already bought a heatgun so I'm confident :rolleyes:

Thanks

Andy

If you don't mind telling me, the nose on your HH-60G has a beautiful finish, any tips?

Sure, and thanks for the compliments. I just glue, fill, and sand. First I glue it using superglue and line up the seam as best as I can. Once dry, sand it smooth then wipe some liquid glue on it to polish it a little and soften any sanding marks. Then brush on some flat black to check the seam. If needed, use some spot putty on the seam and fill it. Wet sand again with some wet/dry auto sand paper, 800-1000 grit works well. Repeat as necessary. Once the seam is gone, rescribe any lost details and you are ready to paint.

For the prop rod, a plexi rod should do. I don't know how you plan on setting up your dio, but if it has a building in it, you can hide the rod in it. I did similarly w/my UH-1H DustOff dio. I hid the rod in a tree behind the helo. I used copper tubing as the tree support that comes out one of the branches to hold the helo as well. The helo has a piece of rod embedded in it behind the rear skid as well. I used a piece of smaller diameter tubing that connects the helo w/the tree and holds it up. The rod is practically invisible.

UH-1HDustOffHuey117.jpgUH-1HDustOffHuey109.jpg

You can see more of it here

Hope that helps.

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks for the photos and the tips HeavyArty, this is the sort of help that makes ARC such a cool little community. As for the dio itself, alot currently exists in my head or sketched out with a pencil in a note book at work (my Sous-Chef thinks I have problems :monkeydance: ). I will have a try at scanning in some of the sketches to give you an idea and will post later this week. Hopefully after doing so much work, I sure don't want to stuff up the finish with some obvious rod sticking out like the preverbial sore thumb.

Thanks again.

Andy

P.S love the UH1 dio, looks cool.

This was one of the coolest ways to do an in-flight helicopter that I had ever seen.

A guy brought this to our last contest. It is actually held in the air by the rappel ropes that the Rangers are on.

It might not work for your applications, but it is definitely very creative!

P1000402.jpg

P1000400.jpg

The Huey dio looks good. However, there are only two fastropes used at the same time (one per side) with the Blackhawk. You come to the issue of balancing the helo on the two ropes at one point. You still need a third support to stand it on. This has been discussed at length here without a good solution to suspending it by the fastropes. Additionally, the ropes look too stiff, esp. on the ground when used like this. In the Huey dio above, the ropes are way too large for the scale as well. Rapel ropes are only 1/2 inch ropes in reality. They look to be 3-4 inch ropes in that scale. It looks good, but may not be achievable for the Blackhawk.

Any more pics showing the other Hueys around that dio? I see at least 2 more there.

Edited by HeavyArty

I do not regret to ask after bigger pics, it's a great job.

You worked fine the crew attitude.

Good look at the elongated wheels shock absorbers

If it's possible, slide forward the pilot seat side armor, I think the pilot need it in this situation.

Hope to see more on this project

Norbert

Thanks Norbert, that is a great suggestion regarding the pilot side seat armour :thumbsup: . Consider that this weeks new project! Do you or anyone out there have any pics that show the side plates extended?

Thanks

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
great job, where did you find the data on the feed shutes for the mini guns? i have been looking all over the place for that kind of pic for the DAP i am building. great looking machine you are building tho

Sent you a PM, hope the photo helps you out. When you get a chance post your photos...

Andy

Ok, took a break from the visable seam lines and had a go at the pilot side protection, suggested by Norbert. Well I jumped ahead and took an educated guess as to how they look extended (see below). So thankyou Norbert for finding the pictures, but for some reason I cannot access them... Full steam ahead! If they are completely wrong though please let me know! The other pic is an attempt at (I think their correct name) the static discharge lines that extend from the tail. Once again I will return to the dredded seam work and will post some more pics shortly!

Regards

Andy

Blackhawk019.jpg

Blackhawk020.jpg

Your build gives a very dynamic feeling, great !

I think my link was on a site with connection limit, I'm sorry it does not work anymore

it was this one

mh-60lside.jpg

from here this time

Norbert

Thanks Norbert, out it comes and just a little extra work, and it will look right! The pic is brilliant!Having followed your work as well as some others, it is great to have some feed back from some modellers whos work, is proof of skill! :worship: I will post some changes to the pilots armour in a few days.

Once again thanks!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just a small update. After battling the flu for weeks, I finally can show you a pic of the pilot armour. Still working on the seam lines which will hopfully explain the sanding marks and the absence of fine detail. As careful as I was, I have managed to knock off soooooo many small pieces and lost them to the carpet monster. :lol: :worship:

Blackhawk023.jpg