Inter-War GB

Hmmm, but the Ward fired the first shot on Dec. 7.... though I doubt it will matter much for this GB. I find it hard to believe that someone wants to model a plane from Dec. 7 only, that didn't look that way well before Dec. 7.

Ahem... I think you concede too easily.

Clark Field was attacked on 8 December, 9 hours after the Pearl Harbor attack.

From my perspective, I'd say you're both right on the date of the US's forced entry into WWII. Although, I could also argue that the US was acting as if at war far earlier with the Neutrality Patrols.

LOL, guess it depends upon whose local time you mean - 7 Dec in the US (including Hawaii), 8 Dec west of the International Date Line. Same applies to Europe - 1 September when Germany invaded Poland or 3 September when England declared war on Germany.

Speaking of the Neutrality Patrol, wars, and definitions, when did the various conflicts become World War II? Japan was fighting in China two years before Germany invaded Poland, the invasion of Poland started a European war, but France/England/Holland remained neutral with Japan. Lend Lease and the Neutrality Patrol involved the US in the European shooting war before any actual declaration of war...

This promises to be a most interesting GB. It goes from the bright shiny to the early application of somber camo schemes with some interesting experiments in between. There is also matter of not so often seen subjects.

I take it from the reference to the Hughes H-1 that this GB will not be limited to military aircraft but civil as well. If so, it's even more intriguing.

I started a Curtiss P-1C for another forum's group build, but only got so far as finishing up the cockpit and the fuselage halves have yet to be glued together.

Is this eligible for this group build?

Also, for those looking for options - be it aftermarket or decals - be sure to look at Yellow Wings Decals and Starfighter Decals. While Starfighter only does 1/72nd 'tweener stuff, they do have an awesome resin cockpit for the Monogram/Accurate Miniatures Boeing F4B-4 I'm working on now.

Edited by mbittner

Yes the cut off point for this GB is 50% complete, so anything less than that is eligible. Also, yes, this GB includes anything that flew during the time period, be it civil or military. And don't forget, this time period also encompasses the Spanish Civil War, so there are a ton of subject options from there alone.

The first two prototypes flew in 1937. Pre-production A-0 aircraft began deliveries in November 1938 for service trials, and the first A-1s (20 built) arrived just in time to sail with the Graf Spee when it departed for its Atlantic cruise that ended with its scuttling after the River Platte sea battle with the RN. A-2s (Airfix kit) began arriving in November 1939.

I've gotten so bogged down with home repairs and job worries that I've lost my modeling spark :)

Maybe this will get me going again. I'm going up to review the "Closet of Adventure" to see what catches my eye.

Perhaps one of the Testors/Hawk '30s racers would do it!

What does this GB consider the opening date for Germany in the war?
Since Germany invaded Poland 1 September 1939, I would think that is when WWII began for Germany.

Regarding the Ar 196, based on the limited information in Green's Warplanes of the Third Reich, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a pre-production Ar 196A-0 from the Airfix kit. Since those began service evaluation/trials in late 1938, that should make them eligible.

Yes, the date for Germany is Sept 1, 1939. Prior to that date there was no declared war and no open hostility, only semi-hostile annexations. In the Pacific things get a bit more blurry, but as has been said before, it is unlikely that planes were repainted overnight, so generally if a plane was in pre-war markings, it counts. if it was in war time markings, then the burden is on the builder to show that the plane was flown in those markings prior to armed conflict. The real spirit of this GB is to show the progression from the wood and fabric bi-planes that dominated in WWI to the metal monoplanes of WWII that marked the height of piston engined flight.

It's not like they stopped, said "Okay, we're at war, totally repaint EVERY plane we have before dawn tomorrow"

Why quibble?

Hit it right on the head. we are talking 24 hours or so here folks. This is a great GB idea, the number of options are incredible!

OK, I'm going to ask a question from the other end of the limit. The 94th Aero sqd. painted their aircraft in a variety of gaudy schemes for the immediate post-WWI period. I'm assuming from the limits imposed that these DO qualify? If so, I might just yank out a SPAD and get in this game!

like this:

050405-F-1234P-044.jpg

or

spad001.jpg

Edited by kozlok
OK, I'm going to ask a question from the other end of the limit. The 94th Aero sqd. painted their aircraft in a variety of gaudy schemes for the immediate post-WWI period. I'm assuming from the limits imposed that these DO qualify? If so, I might just yank out a SPAD and get in this game!

like this:

050405-F-1234P-044.jpg

or

spad001.jpg

Wow! I'd love to see some of those done!

sure, those qualify and would make a really nice addition to the GB! As for banners, I have the one in my sig, but it is joined with the PACAIR and Reich Raiders, but you are welcome to use it. Otherwise, I am open to suggestions for what you'd like to see in a banner and maybe I, or someone else, can do a few.