The F-35 is a very nice looking aircraft but it looks very much like any of the new generation machines. I would have preffered the X-32 just because it is so much different, and looks grow on you. I hope the X-32 design is not lost and hopefully will reappear in some other aircraft requirement, just as I was hoping of the YF-23.

Looking at the F-35B pic.....I don't think they will keep the stars and bars way back there on the underside when this thing finally goes into production. I'll bet they move it to the forward fuselage, or put it right behind the intake and move the intake warning just in front of the intake.

I doubt it. That's a comparable position to the location of the stars and bars on the F-22, and I think that's where they plan on keeping it.

btw, did anyone notice the different nose gear door compared to the F-35A? I'm guessing this nose gear door will be closer to the production version since the earlier door was too big and could possibly act as a sail in crosswinds.

The B has the production version nose gear doors, and that is exactly why they changed it.

The B has the production version nose gear doors, and that is exactly why they changed it.

Thanks for the confirmation.

As much as I love the Block 50 Viper, I can't wait to see these things enter production and start arriving at Shaw. I'm curious as to what paint scheme they'll carry, and whether or not they'll have that distinctive shimmer that you see on the F-22A.

And of course, I can't wait to see it in model form. Preferably 1/48th, but I'd gladly take 1/32nd or 1/72nd as well.

I doubt it. That's a comparable position to the location of the stars and bars on the F-22, and I think that's where they plan on keeping it.

Something bugs me about the national insignia looking like it's tattooed on the aircraft's butt cheek...

Aren't they going the route of the 1FW/VA ANG?

Yes, but you gotta admit, that distinctive tailband and the Swamp Fox markings are too good to pass up. Even though we'll never see a pure 169th FW F-35A, I'll still make a 1/48th model of one someday.

Speaking of which, I'd like to build a F-22 in VA ANG markings someday as well.

• 2 months later...

Hey all.

Got to fly the Lockheed portable F-35 sim this weekend. I was pretty impressed. Got to bag 2 MiG-29s with AMRAAM shots before going low-level and flying up a canyon at 450kts. The weapons loadout was less than impressive, with 2 dumb bombs and two missiles, plus the gun on board. After I popped the two MiGs it was either find a target to drop my Mk84s on or RTB. I chose the latter.

Obviously you don't get the feel for pulling G's or other hard maneuvering, but it was responsive and a lot of fun to fly. Coming from the Apache, the 1/8" throw on the side-stick kinda took a bit of getting used to, but it worked pretty well.

Jon

Sorry to say that if ya didn't have a clearance on file with 'em, that's' prolly all they were allowed to load. OPSEC rules-n-such. All the "fun toys" are reserved for the NTK bunch. :) Still, it sounded like a fun ride. :doh:

Edited by SimFixer