Anyone dealt with Superbug Models (a.k.a Daniel E Phelps)?

Has anyone here dealt with Superbug Models (a.k.a Daniel E. Phelps)?

http://superbugmodels.com/

I ordered an Airfix Nimrod from him back in May and have not received anything yet. He gave me a supposed USPS tracking number but when I enter it all it said was:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on May 19, 2008 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

It makes me wonder if the item was even mailed.....

Jeff

Hate to do this because I thought he might straighten up (or strait-en up hehehe).

Check out this thread:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=155405

It might be a write off on your part.

Sorry to bring possible bad news,

John

Thanks for that. No wonder why he doesn't return emails in a prompt manner. He's also doing business on ebay.

Oh well :thumbsup:

Jeff

He posts here on the board. I have dealt with him on two trades, he can be incredibly slow when shipping things out. In one case, two months, it took several emails, and I do mean several, but he did make good on his deal.

He has a halfway decent resin product, but his customer service is atrocious. I have told him he could be a contender in the resin market, if he would actually deliver his promises.

Keep us posted on your experience, maybe seeing his name down here might wake him up.

Ric

Sounds to me like he started the on-line shipping thing, and it hasn't actually been picked up/posted yet.

Now whether or not there actually *is* a Nimrod and what it's status may be, I have no idea. But it definately isn't in the mail, as in, on it's way to you via the USPS.

Given the fact that it's nearly a month since he should have shipped it, and his appalling reputation, I'd be pressing him to get it out ASAP (and bump up the shipping at his cost to make up for his delay) or else refund you your money. Give him a couple of days and then get your credit card co. after him.

As I posted over on the other SuperBug thread, I purchased from Super-Bug models on eBay.

I bought one EA-6B cockpit set and one of the B-52H updates.

After about three weeks I received the EA-6B cockpit set (which is the Golden Dragon set) and NO B-52H set.

After another three weeks of emails inquiring about my other item that I had paid for, the B-52H set finally showed up, again, the Golden Dragon set.

I also went through the same hassle with the tracking number. It was emailed to me, but every time I checked, it was the "USPS was electronically notified etc."

So, all said and done, I got two rather inferior resin sets for cheap money, but a ton of hassle chasing the second item down. The EA-6B cockpit isn't too bad, but the B-52H set is a pile of resin garbage in my opinion. Thankfully I got one of the B-52H sets from the other joy stealer before he closed up shop (which is actually quite nice BTW).

My thoughts on Super Bug? Thanks, but no thanks, I don't need to spend my time chasing a vendor to get the items I paid for delivered to me in a timely manner.

It's too bad I didn't hear about him sooner. Oh well fool me once, shame on me.....

He actually answered the email I sent him the other day with a terse reply that it would be "dropped" today (6/13). Now let's hope his version of "dropped" means getting it in the mail rather than the literal meaning :tease:

Here's the email:

RE: airfix nimrod

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:19 PM

"Super Bug Models" <daniel@superbugmodels.com>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

"'Jeffrey J. Brundt'" <xxxxxx@yahoo.com>

Message contains attachments

image001.jpg (6KB), image002.jpg (6KB), image003.jpg (6KB)

It will be dropped tomorrow

Daniel E Phelps

http://superbugmodels.com

Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:00 PM

To: Super Bug Models

Subject: RE: airfix nimrod

Daniel,

I checked the tracking number you gave me but there's no indication it shipped. When I check at the USPS website I get this:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on May 19, 2008 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

Can you tell me if the Nimrod kit has shipped? And if it hasn't when will it?

Jeff

This is really the first bad issue I've had with any trade in almost 10 years of doing this. it's a shame too because if the guy would try a bit harder he could get a better rep....but I guess he doesn't care about that.

One thing's for sure this will be the first and ONLY time I ever do business with the guy. I will update you with more info if I get the kit or not.

Jeff

The name change from Golden Dragon to Superbug/Buff Master Design was, (IMHO) simply to dodge the deserved poor reputation that GDP has and try and pass the crap off on a new bunch of customers.

"Incredibly slow to ship"

The man took preorders and money for a kit in '04 that still hasn't been released.

Stay far away from him, and Jeff, I'd email him every day about the kit or a refund until the end of the month, then I'd turn up the heat.

Ken

The name change from Golden Dragon to Superbug/Buff Master Design was, (IMHO) simply to dodge the deserved poor reputation that GDP has and try and pass the crap off on a new bunch of customers.

"Incredibly slow to ship"

The man took preorders and money for a kit in '04 that still hasn't been released.

Stay far away from him, and Jeff, I'd email him every day about the kit or a refund until the end of the month, then I'd turn up the heat.

Ken

Not only has the kit from '04 not been released, it doesn't even have a finished master yet!

Golden Dragon/Super Bug/Buff Master......whatever you choose to call it, it is still a steamy mess of poo that should be avoided.

That's the $600 kit right? Any idea how many people ordered that?

Yep, and I dunno.

As Paul mentioned, the master is not finished, let alone 1/4 finished. The main fuselage is roughed in, and the wing is a triangular piece of acrylic.

That's it after 4 years.

Plus some of his stuff are copies of kit parts, his 1/48 JDAM's are poor copies from the Hasegawa weapons sets, the 1/32 F-14 wheels are an unusable copy of the Tamiya parts, and the seats in the 1/72 EA-6B cockpit set are copies of Verlinden seats.

Daniel Phelps aka Golden Dragon Productions/Superbug Models/Buff Master Design is to be avoided at all costs.

Ken

Plus some of his stuff are copies of kit parts, his 1/48 JDAM's are poor copies from the Hasegawa weapons sets, the 1/32 F-14 wheels are an unusable copy of the Tamiya parts

Amen!

I ordered a set of those Tomcat wheels....my 7 year old could have done a better job!

Update:

I received my Airfix Nimrod today. At least Daniel came thru. However, I can't help but feel if I hadn't emailed him and kept emailing him as to when it would be sent the kit would never would have been mailed.

I'm glad I got the kit from him but it's highly unlikely I will ever order from him again.

Jeff

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I hope this post wont be misinterpreted. I dont want to speak ill of anybody, but in that case i think it is really justified. This guy is a crook and he sullies the reputation of all the nice and honest resin producers.

More than 2 years ago (31st March 2012) i've pre-order to Superbugmodels (Daniel Phelps) a full detail set for the F/A-18E. I paid $165 for it.

It was due to be released very soon, in early April.

But it hasn't. I wasn't too worry because Daniel Phelps always answered my emails and even sent me pictures of his WIP. He was saying that he was late for many reasons, but that the detail set would be release soon. He ave sweared that i WILL get my order.

One year passed. Then another year. I'm a really a nice guy, i know, you can even call me naive. (anyway i could not do anything else than waiting).

And now he does not answer anymore since late 2013.

This guy has ripped me off, and i am not the only one given all the topic about him that we can read on many forums.

But i've just have someone from paypal at the phone this morning. I've made a complaint about him (even if the 45 protection days are way over, a complaint is a complaint). And she told me that more numerous we are to make complaints toward him, more efficient will be the paypal action.

So i just want to say to all the other people who has been ripped off by this guy to go to paypal complaint. If we are dozens or even more, his paypal account can even be restrained or closed. That may not bring back our money but that's a bit of justice.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in June 2014, I "purchased" two 1/72 B-52 resin items from the Super Bug website, via PayPal. Nothing. Sent an e-mail inquiry a couple of weeks later. Nothing. I suspected something fishy so immediately filed a claim with PayPal, fortunately within the 45 day window, with the complaint set to close on 7/21/14. It appears this individual has set up a website offering his wares with no intention of actually doing business- he simply wants to con money from unsuspecting modelers. Treat this seller as you would a Nigerian e-mail scammer and avoid him like the plague.

Edited by Malan