O/T: Battlestar Galactica mid-season finale

I wanted to start a new thread on this:

So they made it to earth. I half expected Charlton Heston to be pounding the sand lamenting "They Blew it up, They blew it all to H&ll!"

Great episode. I wonder what they are going to do with the reamaining 1/2 season's episodes other than identifying the final origional Cylon?

For a minute, I thought Starbucks Viper was the final cylon! I'ved tossed that theory out.

What say we all?

I bet it wasn't Earth at all; just another planet that had been colonized. And in their wandering, they'll stumble across the real one.

When do the next episodes start?

Brian

Edited by CiscoKid

i just knew it had to turn into an evironmental service message eventually! maybe they'll find Will Smith wandering around the streets trying to find a cure for the remaining humans!

i hope they do it right in the end. this season has been pretty good so far i suppose. still not season 1, but i'll take it.

Bill

I'm pretty sure it is Earth, not some red herring. Too much has been done pointing the way there that they wouldn't just say "oh wait, we were wrong, that's Earth over there". If you look at the comments HERE , it's mentioned that the next episode could have been the series finale if the writers strike went on. That could mean that they pretty much wrapped up the storyline, kind of like Babylon 5 when they wrapped it up in Season 4 because at the time they didn't know there was going to be a Season 5. On B5, Season 5 did happen, but it was mostly filler since the main story ARC had already been wrapped up. I'm wondering if the last 10 BSGs are going to be mostly similar filler.

For the condition of Earth, that seems in character with the general tone of the series, which is pretty grim. I don't think it's going to end simply with defeating the evil Cylons while the humans and good Cylons live happily ever after on a pristine planet.

I suspect the next episode is going to be pretty boring. Probably everyone just talking about their feelings.

I suspect the next episode is going to be pretty boring. Probably everyone just talking about their feelings.

Like a lot of the previous episodes from this season.

10 episodes left to decide if it's the real Earth and who the final Cylon is? Eh

Wrap it up in a couple of episodes and call it done, I for one am tired of the red herrings and the talking and the feelings.

Put a fork in it, its done.

Ken

It is Earth, the producers have confirmed it.

My guess is, the remaining human fleet is the "13th Tribe," returning to earth thousands of years after humanity left it in the first place. Humanity didn't begin on Kobol and spread out to colonize 13 planets as their legends suggest, but we did begin on Earth and left it before/while/after we destroyed it for Kobol, only to later leave Kobal after "The Blaze" (assumed to be some sort of nuclear warfare) for Caprica, etc. "All of this has happened before..." Which also explains why there's been no contact between the 12 Colonies and Earth. The Colonials are looking at it backwards.

As entertaining as a Chariots of the Gods scenario is regarding the 13th tribe colonizing Earth, there's always been a huge plot hole in that. Where is the technology? Where are the spaceships? But if that Earth is an Earth in the distant future (remember, the temple on Kobol built by the humans on the way to from :thumbsup: Earth was 4,000 years old), then the music heard by the Watchtower Four cylons makes sense, as they were picking up radio transmissions from earth (which would still be beaming out there, light years after they originated) and those Cylons were, in fact, some sort of walking radio direction finders. It also explains why the clues to Earth's location were so cryptic. Not only were they lost to time, but the original survivors of Earth had little to no intention of ever returning.

Yeah- it is Earth.

Question is- what time is it on Earth? 4000 years in our future?

Will Cylons and Humans come together and sing kumbya?

Will 6 have a one-eyed baby Tigh?

Will Lee Adama beceme Earth's new "Adam" who will be Eve?

Who or what is the final Cylon?

"All this has happened before and will happen again" and something along those lines will happen before the season finale.

Not sure that I buy the possibility that humanity spread out from a devastated earth theory, for the simple reason that the ruins shown look somewhat "fresh" for being 4000+ years old.

But, hey, one thing I've found about BSG is that doesn't have to make logical sense, as long as it's dramatic.

Edited by Dave Williams

The rest of the season doesn't return until sometime in 2009, and there is talk of 2 extra hours being added, whether 2 more episodes or two 2 hr episodes they don't know. There is also talk of another TV movie as well sometime this year. Of course it's all talk right now, they can't decide when to air the last half of the season so who knows what will happen.

Jari

Yeah- it is Earth.

Question is- what time is it on Earth? 4000 years in our future?

Will Cylons and Humans come together and sing kumbya?

Will 6 have a one-eyed baby Tigh?

Will Lee Adama beceme Earth's new "Adam" who will be Eve?

Who or what is the final Cylon?

"All this has happened before and will happen again" and something along those lines will happen before the season finale.

This post makes me think of the ending of each episode of "Soap". Anyone remember that?

Brian

A ship will come to Planet Starbuck and pick up the two sole occupants, Cy and Starbuck.

And then Starbuck will be like "Whoa...you guys replaced me with a chick? Lame guys."

And then everyone will rejoice at the return of Starback and then Starbuck will take em down to Earth where they hook up with Lt. Troy and Dillon and then everyone has a big bonfire and cook smores and stuff.

That is how the series will end.

This post makes me think of the ending of each episode of "Soap". Anyone remember that?

Brian

i loved that show! my wife gave me season 1 on DVD for Christmas. i thought the same thing when i read his reply. :thumbsup:

Bill

A ship will come to Planet Starbuck and pick up the two sole occupants, Cy and Starbuck.

And then Starbuck will be like "Whoa...you guys replaced me with a chick? Lame guys."

And then everyone will rejoice at the return of Starback and then Starbuck will take em down to Earth where they hook up with Lt. Troy and Dillon and then everyone has a big bonfire and cook smores and stuff.

That is how the series will end.

Okay ... I'll have what Paul is having ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Starbuck returns to earth and discovers that she is/was a thing of worship as humans had erected shrines to her on every street corner and worshiped by drinking cups of bitter brew...further confusing things.

matt

Starbuck returns to earth and discovers that she is/was a thing of worship as humans had erected shrines to her on every street corner and worshiped by drinking cups of bitter brew...further confusing things.

matt

Do you really think that was the right word?

:thumbsup:

Do you really think that was the right word?

:thumbsup:

Some like skinny blondes who smoke stogies...lots o symbolism there! :coolio:

Give me Number Three - D'anna - back as a brunette and in leather and I'd watch BSG more often!

Matt

Edited by Matt Roberts

I'm not really a sci-fi person but I have been watching BSG since it started, I was just wondering if anybody has anytheories as to who the fifth and final is? my money is on Richard Hatch's charcter, the irony there would be great.

Just my guess

Eric Strohmeyer

Now now you two, i'm sure there's room for both of you to be the fifth cylon. place nice on the playground. Waco can be the fifth on the odd days and trigger can be on the even days. now was that so hard to compromise?

Bill

As I see it- Earth really had to be desolate/destroyed when they got there.

Continuity wise- how would they have dealt with exact similarities of language, writing ,etc? In the classic Battlestar series, I don't even think they tried to address this, but that was 80's cheese for you.